Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephtsui)
    I don't think that's possible since they made all their decisions when the pool was still open, I don't think they are allowed to change them after it closed.
    Each college is allowed to mark one 'backup' candidate for each course; in essence, that means that they have declared him as a preferential candidate, and they can re-direct the offer to him. This is usually done if the re-interviewed people do not live up to the expectations, however the number of such offers is really really low.

(Original post by c00085;)
    Hey have looked through thread and it is unclear to as whether hearing late is a good thing, a bad thing or neither my gut instinct seems to be the later it gets the less likely you are to get an offer.
    I'd say that technically it doesn't make a difference - the vast majority of the decisions have been made, but not having heard up until this point makes it a bit less likely, statistically, for you to get an offer. I'd guess however that if your college has started handing out rejections already then maybe your file isn't back in your preference college yet and hence there's still interest in you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephtsui)
    I don't think that's possible since they made all their decisions when the pool was still open, I don't think they are allowed to change them after it closed.
    I thought it was possible? The college are allowed to declare interest in an applicant without giving them an offer/interview, from what I believe, in which case it's possible that they may not make a finalised decision on this candidate until getting through their interviews this weekend. May have got this completely wrong though!

In terms of why some letters arrive later than others, I think it's purely college specific... some colleges (such as Kings) sent out rejections at the earliest possible moment... Meanwhile other colleges may not bother, wait until all their offers are decided, and then have a mass letter writing session where they send all the offer/rejection letters on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WJRA)
    Thats correct, all decisions have been made. We're now waiting for them to be relayed back to us.

Thanks for that, cleared it up a bit. It still seems weird though, I thought some people were going to be compared after re-interviewing others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by \/ibhav)
    Although I'm yet to try any STEP II/III papers, I have been getting S in STEP I and I have done the Siklos Booklet (Core Mathematics), including the 2 and 3 star questions (admittedly I found some very difficult). However, I still have a lot of time to prepare and I will be making good use of that time.
    It's great that you've started early and are confident, but as the statistics show, a very large number of extremely capable people get less than SS each year.

However, if you are genuinely able to tackle all the Siklos questions without using the hints, and you feel you got complete answers, then it seems you're on the right track for your target.

Thinking logically, if that was a realistic target then Cambridge would give out SS or 1S offers to almost everybody (because they want people to try as hard as possible). As it is, SS offers are very rare.

There are examples of people who are very able getting 'missed' in the Cam offers cycle - one guy happened to reapply because he had to withdraw for other reasons, and he then met the SS offer they set him (after a gap year they want more from you). But - the opposite is much more common. They give out 400+ offers and only 200-ish of those will be met directly (a further 50 or so people will get in having narrowly missed their offer but produced a good script). Most of those offers are 1,1 offers.

But good luck to you - I admire your ambition! Most people would be far too shy to state that they believed they were one of the best 50 Mathematicians in their year in the whole of the UK - which, as it's a fitted-curve marking system, is what you are shooting for. In all those exams you need to do better than 90% of the other candidates to get SSS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicdude)
    I have seen 5 other people applying for different courses who have been rejected from my original college, but I have not heard anything...
    I really don't know and no one will know, sorry.

They could be do it in so many different ways in each college - for example they might make all of the decisions on a subject basis then bring them together to contact applicants, but they could contact applicants on the basis of surname, original college, subject, the person who dealt with the application, anything really!

Basically, I wouldn't try to decode anything from whether other people have or haven't heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiannonymous)
    Ah poo.....I know Minerva said it's not good to e-mail them in early January but it's now almost the 10th.....could I try to be really sneaky and ask?
    I emailed yesterday and have had no reply, but others did it even earlier and were told things. There's nothing really to lose at this point in my opinion, other than our sanity if much more time goes passed without hearing anything :P

ReputationRep:
    If all the decisions have been made then why is it taking so long for the last offers? :v

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Testicle)
    Got exactly 93% average at my A2s and didn't even make it to the pool (for architecture).
    Yeah that's why I am asking. Two people from my college had over 93% UMS and were not even pooled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Testicle)
    Got exactly 93% average at my A2s and didn't even make it to the pool (for architecture).
    The 93% figure is for AS UMS. Post-A level applicants are required to have A*A*A* to be auto-pooled. If you didn't meet this then being pooled would be on the basis of your performance at interview and the quality of your application overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKA17)
    I emailed yesterday and have had no reply, but others did it even earlier and were told things. There's nothing really to lose at this point in my opinion, other than our sanity if much more time goes passed without hearing anything :P
    Lol I agree! XD Did you have special reason to or were just dying from the wait like I am? :P Do you mind me asking how you worded your e-mail?

ReputationRep:
    IMPORTANT QUESTION
    is it true that the even the decisions for pooled applicants have been posted to us? becuase the address i gave them is NOT the one i am at now. how can i ask for am email? what should i do? i'm an int'l btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TPJY)
    Anyone heard anything from Homerton?
    Yep they rang me on Saturday afternoon to say they'd like to give me an offer for engineering but they said they would send me the details but still haven't is anyone in the same situation?

ReputationRep:
    It seems that noone has had any offers or requests for interviews today or yesterday...? have they stopped giving out offers? If so why do they bother saying till the 14th??

ReputationRep:
    Realistically should i give up hope on being offered a place for law now?
    Also, has Queens' started to reject people yet? If so, how are they choosing to do so?

ReputationRep:
    Robinson given out their final rejection letters yet?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else got a re-interview at Fitzwilliam? I got pooled by Christs and have an interview at Fitz on Fri, Excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjk1995)
    Realistically should i give up hope on being offered a place for law now?
    Also, has Queens' started to reject people yet? If so, how are they choosing to do so?
    I haven't heard of anyone from Queens' being rejected yet, and I haven't received one either.

I guess until we get a rejection, we can still have hope of getting an offer

ReputationRep:
    I second the lack of Queens' communication.
    Looks like they're leaving us in the balance for another day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivo)
    Robinson given out their final rejection letters yet?
    I haven't got one yet, I hope they hurry up and send it quick >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryCross)
    Has anyone else got a re-interview at Fitzwilliam? I got pooled by Christs and have an interview at Fitz on Fri, Excited!
    Hey I have an interview at Fitz on Friday for natsci phys. I'm really more nervous than excited though. What subject are you applying for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.