Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NellyClark)
    thats what I thought when they gave it to me!

Maybe there are no english poolies cos they've all got offers... or not many have been pooled (h o p e f u l l y -_-)

I'm hating the waiting also! The pool really screwed me up -now it's like being rejected everytime I check my emails.

Does anyone on this thread understand why they say you can still receive offers between the 10th- 14th, when they made their decisions days ago... ???

I mean there's no point despairing until the 14th- if that's the date they give, there's always a chance, however slight, that a college may give you an offer.
    I feel like English departments must be disorganised with all their books, folders and papers floating around...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarr)
    Hi English folks! Boo, being in the pool sucks - my books are getting all wet
    Hey! what college did you apply to??

ReputationRep:
    Another Selwyn swimmer here (but am down-grading to doggy paddling as the days pass!). Waiting to hear for History...

ReputationRep:
    Hey! what college did you apply to??
    Hey there how you feeling?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    English Poolee parent here! Lack of any news coming through on rejections/offers post being pooled is wierd. Thankfully my fish is delighted to have had an initial interview which went well followed with a dip in the pool. Would love to study English at Cambridge but knows the odds are tough! Good to know either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiannonymous)
    Just learnt that my college is one of the biggest snails of all the colleges to give out responses, especially for my subject.....*sigh*
    which college? and what course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisgame)
    I can't believe that is a good list if MIT isn't in the top ten...

EDIT: Epic facepalm. Just read MIT is #1 on the list.... my bad!
    hahahha I was about to correct you but then saw your edit... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    Your mere 5 days is incomparable with an outright rejection and a whole year. Please, don't assume because people have outright offers that they don't deserve it nor want it as passionately as you guys too.
    5 days to you of course. I'm sure time flies past when you aren't in the pool. For us it has felt like forever and this is our thread to express our views.

I'm not too sure what you're saying here. I was making a comparison to the pool. Any rejection situation is different as it doesn't have the uncertainty and dystopian anxiety that Pooling has. The two situations are completely different.
    Furthermore I wasn't making any comparison to how much offer holders wanted to be in Cam or deserved it, just how they are quixotically blind to the delusive trauma of being pooled. Academically of course most (though not all) offer holders may deserve offers more, but I was drawing a comparison to a different trait, that of fortitude and belief in the fact of your dreams hanging on a thread. The Cambridge applications process doesn't cover this for those who hold offers now and that was what I was drawing upon for us who are pooled.

Please do not mock the expressions of us mere poolies whilst we tread water. The least you could all do is let us have a freedom to express our many tangled and cyclothymic thoughts whilst we are in our moments of uncertainty. After all, what else is TSR for?

Have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    Your mere 5 days is incomparable with an outright rejection and a whole year. Please, don't assume because people have outright offers that they don't deserve it nor want it as passionately as you guys too.

This sounds a bit blunt. I do wish you all luck, but saying things like that with any hint of seriousness isn't exactly great!

look the guy is stressed and he may said this in jest. obviously it can't happen.

if you dont understand then I ssy you should leave thi s thread as it is afterall for those that are in the pool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    5 days to you of course. I'm sure time flies past when you aren't in the pool. For us it has felt like forever and this is our thread to express our views.

I'm not too sure what you're saying here. I was making a comparison to the pool. Any rejection situation is different as it doesn't have the uncertainty and dystopian anxiety that Pooling has. The two situations are completely different.
    Furthermore I wasn't making any comparison to how much offer holders wanted to be in Cam or deserved it, just how they are quixotically blind to the delusive trauma of being pooled. Academically of course most (though not all) offer holders may deserve offers more, but I was drawing a comparison to a different trait, that of fortitude and belief in the fact of your dreams hanging on a thread. The Cambridge applications process doesn't cover this for those who hold offers now and that was what I was drawing upon for us who are pooled.

Have a nice day
    I would agree. The stress of being in the pool is terrible. but all of us should remember that being pooled means that youa re of cambridge standard! its just that your college can't give you a place. We have all done really well and i wish all those with offers and all those still waiting, the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarr)
    Hi English folks! Boo, being in the pool sucks - my books are getting all wet
    Hello fellow english poolee's. Feel the water draining out of the pool

ReputationRep:
    Being pooled feels equivalent to having millions of lottery winnings swung in front of your face, being told, yeah this is your money, we might give it to you, but you'll have to wait 10-15 days to see. But you are definitely good enough to have it.

ReputationRep:
    English and Email
    Didn't read the question you were responding to and genuinely thought for a moment: 'Didn't know they offered that as a course...'

Such a fool:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wish they would abolish the pool. It would be much simpler if the held the pool internally, and then at its conclusion (Jan 5th I think) write to people immediately, telling them that they have:
    1. offers from whichever college
    2. have to go back for re-interview or
    3.have been rejected.

That way there would be less drama for a few thousand people for no loss as I see it.

ReputationRep:
    Im not good at swimming so a college needs to fish me fast!

ReputationRep:
    Presume lack of clarity on poolees for English ( those not called for further interview ) at this stage could be as a result of interviews tomorrow. After which, who knows!!! Any views?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone on this thread understand why they say you can still receive offers between the 10th- 14th, when they made their decisions days ago... ???
    Because if the choice is between you and someone they decided to call for interview, they may still choose you, and the interviews are during that period.

I suspect that the reason some people get called for interview and others don't is to do with whether the college that is doing the fishing feels that the interview notes and tests done by the original college covered their important questions - not necessarily anything to do with preferring one candidate over another.

So - if you haven't heard yet, then you may be status 'B' - under active consideration by a specific college, to be compared with others that they have invited for interview. The last date for interviews is the 14th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dawn6789)
    Is this for MML by any chance?
    No Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abutlerrush)
    I wish they would abolish the pool. It would be much simpler if the held the pool internally, and then at its conclusion (Jan 5th I think) write to people immediately, telling them that they have:
    1. offers from whichever college
    2. have to go back for re-interview or
    3.have been rejected.

That way there would be less drama for a few thousand people for no loss as I see it.
    Because plenty of people get status 'B' - which means that a college feels that they already have enough info about that person (from their file) but wants to interview other candidates before deciding which to make offers to.

So - you missed the all important option:

4. don't have to go back for interview, but may receive an offer after we have interviewed other candidates from the pool.

And funnily enough you *have* been informed and your current status is 4.

I know it's painful but it makes sense to assume that they are already doing the best they can in the situation, it's not like it's the first year they've done this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hurling!!!)
    Presume lack of clarity on poolees for English ( those not called for further interview ) at this stage could be as a result of interviews tomorrow. After which, who knows!!! Any views?
    Exactly.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.