Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hurling!!!)
    Presume lack of clarity on poolees for English ( those not called for further interview ) at this stage could be as a result of interviews tomorrow. After which, who knows!!! Any views?
    I don't hold out much hope. I have to say that for a subject like English, I would definitely want to re-interview if I was an academic. Seeing someone doing practical criticism under duress would be key to my decision, so why not re-interview? It doesn't really make sense not to. Any exam result could be the result of rigorous rote learning and writing to a board's specifications, and with English especially, any interview grading is likely to be rather subjective.

So as I haven't been called back for an interview, I'm not optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisgame)
    I can't believe that is a good list if MIT isn't in the top ten...

EDIT: Epic facepalm. Just read MIT is #1 on the list.... my bad!
    The QS list seems to have a completely different grading criteria compared to the other lists, e.g. Times, guardian, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray)
    Because plenty of people get status 'B' - which means that a college feels that they already have enough info about that person (from their file) but wants to interview other candidates before deciding which to make offers to.

So - you missed the all important option:

4. don't have to go back for interview, but may receive an offer after we have interviewed other candidates from the pool.

And funnily enough you *have* been informed and your current status is 4.

I know it's painful but it makes sense to assume that they are already doing the best they can in the situation, it's not like it's the first year they've done this!
    Makes sense I suppose. Just want to make the pool go away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abutlerrush)
    I don't hold out much hope. I have to say that for a subject like English, I would definitely want to re-interview if I was an academic. Seeing someone doing practical criticism under duress would be key to my decision, so why not re-interview? It doesn't really make sense not to. Any exam result could be the result of rigorous rote learning and writing to a board's specifications, and with English especially, any interview grading is likely to be rather subjective.

As another English applicant I couldn't agree more. If I picture myself as an admissions tutor, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking any applicant have personally spoken to/seen in action.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I've drowned...but no-one has told me yet :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just a heads up - the B mark is very rarely used. Limit of 1 per college.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...ficers2013.pdf

Expression of interest in applicants who have not been selected as O or I after poolside meetings have taken place and whom they may wish to bring into consideration after pool interviews. There is a limit of one such mark per subject per College.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abutlerrush)

Interviewing requires time and effort the first time round, you would need a great reason to do it all over again! When your interviewed the first time, it's not one person's subjective opinion that gets noted about you, it's FOUR different opinions at least. And those four opinions are valued highly by other English staff members, they are collegues after all. They may have all they need, statistically most pool offers are made to thos that were not interviewed a second time.

Anyway, you're fabulous for getting here. And if it's English we love, we can love it anywhere. Our subject is really taught us by the authors themselves, in their wonderful wonderful books. Cambridge is one dream among many I am sure. But instead of focusing on where you learn English, let's try and focus on what we're going to do with all the precious knowledge we gain from an English degree, no matter where its from.

Bisou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryCross)
    No Law.
    Ahh well best, BEST of luck!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The document also mentions an 'A' mark which everyone has neglected... Scroll right to the bottom of the document^

This is "active interest but no requirement to interview"
    So surely we could all be A or B?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray)
    Because if the choice is between you and someone they decided to call for interview, they may still choose you, and the interviews are during that period.

I suspect that the reason some people get called for interview and others don't is to do with whether the college that is doing the fishing feels that the interview notes and tests done by the original college covered their important questions - not necessarily anything to do with preferring one candidate over another.

So - if you haven't heard yet, then you may be status 'B' - under active consideration by a specific college, to be compared with others that they have invited for interview. The last date for interviews is the 14th.
    (Original post by NellyClark)
    Thankyou! This helps
    Can I ask how you know this?
    I would argue against this actually. Only one person per subject per college can be marked as "B" so its incredibly unlikely we all have this status. Also (minerva can shoot me down at a later date if necessary) all decisions have been finalised since Saturday apart from re-interviewed applicants and those marked as "B" status so tutors are no longer looking over applications. Instead it seems far more likely that the reason we haven't heard is nothing more complicated than the fact that colleges are slow at returning the decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aakd)
    The document also mentions an 'A' mark which everyone has neglected... Scroll right to the bottom of the document^

This is "active interest but no requirement to interview"
    So surely we could all be A or B?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I think the 'A' is only used by our preference college during the pooling period. This gives them a chance to hold on to you whilst they look at others in the pool. The preference college must then decide if they want to turn any of their 'A's to an 'O' or 'I'. So basically, at the end of the pooling process (4 Jan), an applicant should either be marked as 'O', 'I' or 'B'. Anyone unmarked is subsequently rejected. That's my interpretation anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBAD)
    Interviewing requires time and effort the first time round, you would need a great reason to do it all over again! When your interviewed the first time, it's not one person's subjective opinion that gets noted about you, it's FOUR different opinions at least. And those four opinions are valued highly by other English staff members, they are collegues after all. They may have all they need, statistically most pool offers are made to thos that were not interviewed a second time.

Anyway, you're fabulous for getting here. And if it's English we love, we can love it anywhere. Our subject is really taught us by the authors themselves, in their wonderful wonderful books. Cambridge is one dream among many I am sure. But instead of focusing on where you learn English, let's try and focus on what we're going to do with all the precious knowledge we gain from an English degree, no matter where its from.

Bisou
    Good to hear from an optimistic student of literature, I certainly hope I'm wrong!

Bisou a toi aussi

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experience with phone interviews?? I have one after tomorrow for Trinity, don't know what to expect...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBAD)

Bisou
    This was interesting to me. Did all the other English applicants have four interviewers? I had two interviews at Caius on the 5th (one personal statement focused, one preparatory study) with only one interviewer in each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisgame)
    Being pooled feels equivalent to having millions of lottery winnings swung in front of your face, being told, yeah this is your money, we might give it to you, but you'll have to wait 10-15 days to see. But you are definitely good enough to have it.
    This cheered me up so much I quoted it on my twitter hahahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicdude)
    Just a heads up - the B mark is very rarely used. Limit of 1 per college.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...ficers2013.pdf

Expression of interest in applicants who have not been selected as O or I after poolside meetings have taken place and whom they may wish to bring into consideration after pool interviews. There is a limit of one such mark per subject per College.
    When you say 1 per subject per college - there are 31 colleges and 28 subjects... so, even if you were to guess that only half the colleges use the B mark, and for around half their subjects, you'd have 15 * 15 = 225 potential B marks. I know not all colleges take from the pool in all subjects, but the moderation process requires that they at least consider it for the last place they give out.

The official limit only limits it to in excess of 800. Which is roughly a quarter of the pool...

Unless I've missed something that says how frequently it's used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WJRA)
    This was interesting to me. Did all the other English applicants have four interviewers? I had two interviews at Caius on the 5th (one personal statement focused, one preparatory study) with only one interviewer in each.
    likewise for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WJRA)
    I would argue against this actually. Only one person per subject per college can be marked as "B" so its incredibly unlikely we all have this status. Also (minerva can shoot me down at a later date if necessary) all decisions have been finalised since Saturday apart from re-interviewed applicants and those marked as "B" status so tutors are no longer looking over applications. Instead it seems far more likely that the reason we haven't heard is nothing more complicated than the fact that colleges are slow at returning the decisions.
    31 colleges, 28 subjects, could potentially have 800+ B marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insomniacramblings)
    Hey, when did you hear back from LSE?
    I heard at the start of my Christmas holidays! The 19th of December

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dawn6789)
    Ahh well best, BEST of luck!!!!!
    Thanks!! I hope it goes well, have you got one at Fitz/what for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.