Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandraSophia)
    Yup I do have my pooling email. But I have yet to find out whether another college has fished me out or not. So I was wondering when we international applicants would be notified.
    Nobody can say, I'm afraid, but you will hear eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abutlerrush)
    Thank you so much for the poem, always wonderful to have something recommended to you. 'Its all right:/ Its been taken care of' especially rings true.

Here's to our magnificent discipline, wherever we study it.
    speaking of which, where else have you lot applied/ recieved offers?

I applied Bristol- unconditional offer
    UCL- unconditional offer
    Sussex- pending
    Edinburgh- pending

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that if the original college will contact us now that will certainly be a rejection?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a chance albeit small that they could still come back and make an offer after seeing what else is out there

ReputationRep:
    Good Morning all

There's an updated status report attached to the first post.

Summary
    319 posted on their own account
    70 direct offers
    32 people invited to 35 interviews
    30 rejections reported to date, from King’s, Trinity Hall, and Clare

Given usual overall offer and interview rates, a cohort of 320 poolees would be expected to produce around 70 direct offers, but also nearer 50 invitations to interview. TSR usually has a slightly higher offer rate than the All Cambridge cohort overall, so more direct offers seems likely, especially as the interview numbers are well below where they would be expected to be. As I posted yesterday, I can't tell whether this is natural variation from year to year and/or between the TSR and the All Cambridge cohorts, or does represent a real shift in practice in terms of colleges inviting people back for re-interview.

I'll 'see' you all later - keep faith and don't forget about the rest of your life

To the people who drowned yesterday, commiserations. The feelings of disappointment will pass, and other good things will come your way, I promise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud Dancer)
    has anyone from Peterhouse heard anything yet??
    I haven't yet (engineering)

ReputationRep:
    Morning Downing poolees. I think today could be our judgement day. Can't tell for sure, of course, but a friend of mine who's a pooled international applicant, for Downing, received a scanned version of her rejecetion letter my email yesterday morning. Suggests that they were posting them all yesterday, but scanned and sent the overseas ones to save them the wait?

Course no post this morning won't guarantee anything good happening, but would possibly be a step in the right direction... Keep faith x

ReputationRep:
    I hope engineering offers come in today!!! Keeping positive

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBAD)
    speaking of which, where else have you lot applied/ recieved offers?

I applied Bristol- unconditional offer
    UCL- unconditional offer
    Sussex- pending
    Edinburgh- pending
    I have offers from York, Leeds and Sheffield, still waiting on Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malawi)
    If someone was achieving close to 100% in their maths and further maths modules and another subject would they have a high chance of getting pooled?
    If they were not apply for maths or medicine (and the college accepted the maths + f maths + 1 other subject combination) then yes, they'd be auto pooled if they had a higher than 93% average across the subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as on the Winter pool document, it says that if someone hasn't been 'tagged', their file will have been returned to their college at the latest of the 9th, yesterday, does that mean if we survive the next 2 days, then that could mean that we may have been marked 'I' by another college, and they are waiting for their interview applicants to compare us to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisgame)
    Seeing as on the Winter pool document, it says that if someone hasn't been 'tagged', their file will have been returned to their college at the latest of the 9th, yesterday, does that mean if we survive the next 2 days, then that could mean that we may have been marked 'I' by another college, and they are waiting for their interview applicants to compare us to?
    I don't get why everyone keeps saying they are waiting for the interview applicants to compare to the others. All decisions have already been made before saturday and each college can only mark 1 applicant as "reserve".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BEVLA12)
    unfortunately not...have you?
    wish downing would just hurry up, even if it is a rejection (which seems likely)
    nope still nothing I just want to hear something! !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malawi)
    If someone was achieving close to 100% in their maths and further maths modules and another subject would they have a high chance of getting pooled?
    I'm assuming you mean "for maths"? They would be pooled for NatSci.

Whether it helped them to get pooled for maths or was seen as unimportant would probably depend on which maths / further maths modules they had taken.

S1 != M3 etc.

However, even then, the correlation between Tripos Performance and Maths UMS isn't very high. Hence they use STEP to select students, as STEP performance (particularly STEP III) has a really significant correlation with how well you will do on the Cambridge Part I course.

Unfortunately the most commonly taken AS/A2 exams for Maths and Further Maths reward students who are accurate over those who are insightful or creative. The UMS fitting for grade boundaries and the fact that papers are out of 75 can make this even worse - you can get 5 UMS difference between two students who had a raw grade separated by 2 accuracy marks.

The Maths admissions tutors have a particularly challenging job I think. Not only are maths UMS hard to interpret directly, but some people have lovely supportive Year 12/13 colleges who will allow them to decide which modules to take and others go to schools or colleges that force them to do specific (usually 'easy') modules and won't support them in taking extra ones. They know that they don't have enough information to pick the right 250 people, but fortunately they have STEP, so they can make many extra offers (400) and then set the STEP II and STEP III grade boundaries to find the top 250 applicants.

So - back to your original question.. if you've got near 100% in M3, M4, M5, FP2 and FP3 then I would say that's interesting (based on the Edexcel modules), but outside of those I don't think it would raise an eyebrow. (Though you should still feel awesome about it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephtsui)
    I don't get why everyone keeps saying they are waiting for the interview applicants to compare to the others. All decisions have already been made before saturday and each college can only mark 1 applicant as "reserve".
    1 applicant per college per subject = 800+ reserves.

(31 colleges, 28 subjects)

Obviously that's a maximum, but what it tells us is that we don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lighterthanAyer)
    Haha actually no I applied for Law at Magdalene Though I did take Philosophy A Level
    Oooh a fellow magdalene applicant ha, I applied for History!

ReputationRep:
    Another Magdalene applicant got pooled - me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle_C)
    Oooh a fellow magdalene applicant ha, I applied for History!
    Hey there, how are you feeling in the pool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhy)
    Hey there, how are you feeling in the pool?

It doesn't feel like swimming at the minute, more like a slow and painful drown haha, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle_C)
    It doesn't feel like swimming at the minute, more like a slow and painful drown haha, what about you?
    Agreed, the wait is making me really uncomfortable. What's your insurance?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.