Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This from the dad of one of the little fish! Our daughter finally got the letter we had all been dreading but perhaps come to expect after all this time. She won't be going to Downing to read history (not this year at least). For those who get similar news over the next few days (or already have) you should be proud of yourselves for having the guts to enter a very competitive process and not letting the disappointment get you down. One of the other parents may already have said it but what makes a person is not so much about being successful but how you deal with set backs. Thanks to Minerva for the updates and to everyone for the support through the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cytang)
    Thanks a lot. Im afraid that I need bunch of luck. Well what about you? Being fished up already?? Otherwise best of luck to you as well
    No fishing line yet I'm afraid :/ just waiting for a response now, I've already accepted the worst (which now that I think about, isn't really the worst after all and I hope I can get offers from my other places soon

What about you, where else have you gone for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    No they aren't - the decision as to how many international students the universities take is a matter for individual universities. What is subject to quota is the number of places for Home/EU students because of government funding arrangements.
    Oh I see, sorry I thought the quota extended out to international students as well, whoops

ReputationRep:
    Drowned by Pembroke for PhysNatSci.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma-anna)
    Is it normal for a re-interview college to request work submitted with the application, don't they just have access to all information on an applicant?
    You're not the first person to be asked to do this - perhaps that doesn't get into the file that goes to the Pool. Anyway, don't worry about it.

(Original post by woody62)
    This from the dad of one of the little fish! Our daughter finally got the letter we had all been dreading but perhaps come to expect after all this time. She won't be going to Downing to read history (not this year at least). For those who get similar news over the next few days (or already have) you should be proud of yourselves for having the guts to enter a very competitive process and not letting the disappointment get you down. One of the other parents may already have said it but what makes a person is not so much about being successful but how you deal with set backs. Thanks to Minerva for the updates and to everyone for the support through the thread.
    Hear, hear

Good luck to your daughter - I'm sure she'll do well wherever she lands up

ReputationRep:
    aaah!! my college has started rejecting people. i'm REALLY tempted to email them and say "if ive been rejected, please tell me NOW!" but in slightly different wording. should i do it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4foryouglencoco)
    i'm sorry where you planning on going now? i'm a bionatsci expecting rejection from pembroke soon... did they email you or letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    Just drowned for Engineering at Peterhouse.

Got a letter and it had a feedback form enclosed.

Goodbye all, I'm off to Southampton/Bristol/Bath, well done to those who were fished, good luck in the future to those still swimming and my fellow drowned, and thanks (especially to Minerva) because this thread has made this experience a lot less awful than it could've been.
    Commiserations - but isn't Southampton one of the top dollar places for engineering? - Bath certainly is. So you've got some good options there

ReputationRep:
    x
    hello! my college has started sending rejections and i was wondering if emailing my college to find out whether i've been rejected is a good idea... i'm an international so they already have me on their emailing list.

ReputationRep:
    I've been pooled for economics at girton and still not rejected, I was wondering what sort of position am I most likely to be in + has anyone been rejected by girton post-pool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyie)
    hello! my college has started sending rejections and i was wondering if emailing my college to find out whether i've been rejected is a good idea... i'm an international so they already have me on their emailing list.
    In which case, I think you'll just have to be patient. I do understand how horrible the waiting is, but the college already knows where you are and will email you when they've got news for you. The admissions office of the college will be waiting on feedback from the admissions tutors, and when this comes through will vary from subject to subject.

ReputationRep:
    drowned! ow well at least it's all over... awkward finding out in the middle of an English lesson though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4foryouglencoco)
    Oh How did you find out? Email or letter?

I just want to prepare myself really... cuz I will be the next Just feel like a killing game then we wait for our turn. So scared...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Username.)
    I've been pooled for economics at girton and still not rejected, I was wondering what sort of position am I most likely to be in + has anyone been rejected by girton post-pool
    No Girton poolee has reported an outcome in here yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annehogarth)
    drowned! ow well at least it's all over... awkward finding out in the middle of an English lesson though...
    I can imagine . Still, at least you know where you are now, and can move on.

ReputationRep:
    No Girton poolee has reported an outcome in here yet.
    Yeah i have a friend who applied to Girton for Maths and haven't heard anything at all. Well I guess you are right they are just waiting on feedback from tutors to prepare letters. Maybe I will get it tomorrow then.

ReputationRep:
    Drowned by pembroke. Just glad the waiting's over! Good luck to everyone still waiting and thanks to Minerva for all the information, it's helped so much

ReputationRep:
    Drowned, Law, Queens', letter.
    Re-applying next year, hellllooooooooooooo gap year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helenacharlotte)
    Drowned by pembroke. Just glad the waiting's over! Good luck to everyone still waiting and thanks to Minerva for all the information, it's helped so much
    Glad it did. Commiserations though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noonoo)
    So sorry to hear that mate. Where are you planning for your first decision now? Can't remember which subject you doing?

A mate if mine went to a non Russell group uni, got a first, went to Cambridge to do Masters, now has top civil service job.........so it is another way and probably a less stressful route, as we all know easier to get a first from non Oxbridge. Wish you well mate.

I applied for Bio Natsci. I have already got my offer from IC so I may accept that. Also I am also applying to some universities in Hong Kong and the results released at March. Are you still swimming? I wish you the very best of luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.