Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insomniacramblings)
    Are B status people those who still haven't heard anything or is it more likely those of us still waiting are rejected?
    Most people who are still waiting to hear will have been unsuccessful, but not everyone. A few people will be lucky. Cambridge's own guidance indicates that news of direct offers can still be coming out until the 14th -

Of those who will get good news, a small number may have been categorised as 'B', or it may be that the colleges concerned have just taken their time about sending out confirmation of decisions that were made last weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Question Mark)

My suggestion to you is stop trying to be mum and simply present the facts.
    I agree with the thrust of this - as a parent my son wants an honest assessment of what is happening to fill the uncertain vacuum left with little/no/contradictory info.

Minerva - can I ask what your role or position is please. Don't get me wrong I think what you do and are doing is really helpful to the students but I'm confused if you have:
    an official say work at Camb capacity but access to real data just the thread posted info
    quasi-official, a student/grad in the know
    something else.

A lot of people trust and value your opinion as do I having followed it over a week or so, but it is reasonable to ask I think what your capacity is.

ReputationRep:
    Minerva, brace yourself, people are striking hahaa

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your information!

However, my college didn't reply my email, which is very wired.
    (Original post by EyesBegoniaSkies)
    I'm an international applicant too! I wouldn't have heard anything either had I not called Downing and requested to have the decision letter emailed to me.. Not all colleges email, and post instead. I haven't even received the post yet (it can take weeks to send it over to where i am!). I called them because I knew decisions were out on the 4th and I wanted to know already so you can email or call them explaining that you haven't found out yet and you want an email or something.

ReputationRep:
    She has made it pretty clear that if anyone hasn't heard by now it is probably a rejection but not definitely. She also said there's still a very very small chance of being fished due to people being marked 'B', compared with re-interviews etc. I don't see what the problem is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jqian)
    Finally got my rejection letter through the post from Robinson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also just received my Robinson rejection for CompSci by post, see you at Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    hope does not. misleading people does annoy me. As fsr as I am concerned I would rather be told as it is and I can deal with it.
    I am not misleading anyone and I am telling it like it is.

we have an offer today ..... how many have we had on Thursday or Friday? How msny people have had hope because of your comments only to be dashed?
    We had four offers reported on Thursday, but none yesterday. We have two so far today.

I am presenting the facts. We take a different view about what they mean.

why should I unscribe from this thread because I disagree with you? what gives you that power. or is this a businesses where the number of clicks and comments results in revenue snd yoy have to sell hope for the good of this business.

ban me if you want and delete my threads if you need to stop people having free speech.
    Just to make it clear: I do this (site moderation) as a volunteer and entirely in my own time. I am not an agent of TSR in any way.

I appreciate that you are personally very disappointed - even, perhaps, affronted - that your application has apparently not (so far) turned out to be a successful one. Taking that out on me is pointless. It is also fair to say that the many people who are regularly posting in this thread are likely to have done so with or without my input.

I'll say it again - a 'slim' chance is not the same as 'no' chance. If it was the case that there was no chance of a direct offer once the interviews had started, I am perfectly sure that that is what Cambridge would have put in their briefing note for applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivo)
    She has made it pretty clear that if anyone hasn't heard by now it is probably a rejection but not definitely. She also said there's still a very very small chance of being fished due to people being marked 'B', compared with re-interviews etc. I don't see what the problem is.
    Nor do I, really :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    hope does not. misleading people does annoy me. As fsr as I am concerned I would rather be told as it is and I can deal with it.

we have an offer today ..... how many have we had on Thursday or Friday? How msny people have had hope because of your comments only to be dashed?

why should I unscribe from this thread because I disagree with you? what gives you that power. or is this a businesses where the number of clicks and comments results in revenue snd yoy have to sell hope for the good of this business.

ban me if you want and delete my threads if you need to stop people having free speech.
    Oh, the western notion of free speech.

ReputationRep:
    Are decisions following re-interviews sent by email or letter??

ReputationRep:
    Dude, you need to go away and study statistics a little. Nobody has said that everybody left has a great chance of receiving an offer, but until final decisions arrive there is still a possibility that anyone who has not yet been informed of their status is going to receive an offer once the interviews are over and those candidates have been considered.

That's just a fact. You can't assume rejection any more than you can assume an offer. And because you can't get 0.15 of an offer (or any other fraction), some people will get offers and some people won't.

But, if you are a candidate, I wouldn't rate your chances because if you displayed a glimpse of this side of your personality at interview I imagine your chances are poor. I'm just - as you wished - telling you how it is.

or is this a businesses where the number of clicks and comments results in revenue snd yoy have to sell hope for the good of this business.
    You are weird. No, clicks and comments don't result in revenue in that way, and the idea that Minerva (and anyone else who has urged people to simply wait until they are told what the outcome is instead of making assumptions) would profit from that is seriously bonkers.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for not making it very clearly.

I got pooled by Clare long ago, but the decision letter for pooling still didn't come out yet. I noticed that many applicants for Clare college will directly receive a rejection letter even after being pooled. however, I didn't get any sorts of information, so did my fellow students who applied land economy as well.

(Original post by Minerva)
    You should email Clare direct and let them know you have not received your initial decision letter. As it's been a week now, I would hope that they'll email it to you on Monday (they won't be there now).

If the decision was that you were pooled, as an international you won't have missed an interview invitation, so don't worry on that score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mp1995)
    Are decisions following re-interviews sent by email or letter??
    All decisions are sent by post but they might or might not email you that letter. I think they might even call you.

Anyway, in the end you will definitely get a letter from them no matter what decision it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stalkingparent)
    I agree with the thrust of this - as a parent my son wants an honest assessment of what is happening to fill the uncertain vacuum left with little/no/contradictory info.
    In the first post there is a link to the winter pool information for officers. If you read this (publicly available) document, you will find that there is no certainty at this point for poolees.

The information is not contradictory. If you are in the pool and have not yet heard a decision then your chances are slim but not zero.

There is nothing more to say than that. It's uncomfortable for those who just want to know, but it's just reality.

On paper, there could be up to 850 candidates who are reserves against other candidates being interviewed. In reality the number is probably much smaller, but it's not zero, so some candidates who are not invited for interview will be selected in favour of the candidates who interviewed. Not lots, but some.

Nobody knows if your son will or won't be one of those, and Minerva has done absolutely nothing except for digest the official Cambridge process documents and attempt to explain them, and track the stats in terms of people who have posted their outcome on here and compare them with previous years. And been extremely generous with time and energy in the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The exaggerater)
    Also just received my Robinson rejection for CompSci by post, see you at Bristol?
    Yup, probably .

(Original post by nicolettuce)
    Congratulations!!

Yeah, I was feeling pretty low yesterday and I think that got it out of my system. Imperial College, what about you? (the offer is silly though, A*AAAA...not impressed)
    Bristol!, and yeah, Imperial seem to be giving quite harsh offers, sure you'll make it though

(Original post by Ivo)
    Commiserations Hope you don't mind me asking but did you receive yours today and when was the letter dated?
    The letter was dated 10th January, and yes, I received the letter today. Good luck if you're still swimming!

ReputationRep:
    Any Robinson medic poolees heard yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jqian)
    Bristol!, and yeah, Imperial seem to be giving quite harsh offers, sure you'll make it though
    Have fun at Bristol! A lot of the Compsci friends I made from open days who have been rejected by Cambridge are gonna go there. And thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stalkingparent)

Minerva - can I ask what your role or position is please. Don't get me wrong I think what you do and are doing is really helpful to the students but I'm confused if you have:
    an official say work at Camb capacity but access to real data just the thread posted info
    quasi-official, a student/grad in the know
    something else.

A lot of people trust and value your opinion as do I having followed it over a week or so, but it is reasonable to ask I think what your capacity is.
    As a volunteer moderator on this site for almost four years, I have developed a comprehensive understanding of the university applications system in the UK. Follow the link in my signature for examples of how I use this.

As far as the Cambridge Pool is concerned, I would consider my 'capacity' to be an informal one based on the fact that I have kept track of TSR users' experiences in the Pool every year since 2008, and have personally collated statistics for the last four years (2009-2012). I do not have - nor have I ever claimed to have - any 'inside track' with Cambridge, and I rely on the same published statistics as you do.

However, close involvement with successive cohorts of TSR poolees has meant that I have learned quite a bit about the otherwise undocumented side of the process - for instance which colleges tend to behave in which ways - and thereby gained an understanding of what's likely to be going on behind the scenes. I do not claim to be 'right' in every case and am very happy for someone with insider knowledge I don't have to correct me if the need arises. It doesn't seem to have done so far. It's also not been unknown for Cambridge staff to post incognito in the Pool thread, though I've not seen any evidence of it this year.

Question Mark seems to want me to state flatly that anyone who hasn't heard something by now should have discarded all hope of an offer. That plainly is not the case. Yes, offers will be in the minority, but they are still coming in.

ReputationRep:
    As mods, we are volunteers and have very little connection to the side of the business that generates revenue. Our primary purpose is and has always been to help the users who post here, whether that's by making sure that offensive content is removed, keeping the forums tidy so that questions can be seen and answered by the right people or by researching and producing our own content using our expertise to help others who come in asking questions.

Minerva is our resident guru on all things UCAS and on the Cambridge pool. She has done a phenomenal amount of research into these processes and is always on top of the latest developments. In addition to this, she has been running the pool thread and providing the stats you see in her reports for a number of years (as long as I can remember!) and that gives her a unique insight into the process. She is very good at telling it how it is, and in this situation how it is involves a little bit of hope and a little bit of disappointment. The pool is not over yet and a few people may still receive offers, but the majority of those still swimming won't. That's what Minerva has said, and there is no promotion of false hope in there - just the facts. You do not have to take anything that she says as gospel, but it is based on a thorough examination of the pooling guidelines and on years of experience and observation, so it's probably the best you're going to get beyond speaking to the people running the pool themselves. She is putting an enormous amount of time and energy into trying to help everybody, so let's put this to rest now please

ReputationRep:
    robinson medic still swimming, feeling like michael phelps after surviving this long.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.