Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _b3th_)
    Thank you and thanks for this thread it really helped alot Last question I promise, when will it be acceptable to request feedback on my rejection? Thanks!
    If your decision letter doesn't tell you how and when, I'd email them towards the end of the month. They usually send feedback to your referee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    WOOOO

Don't let us forget about the Durham reject party

(although I think we need to change the reject tag to something more proud and such. The Oxbridge Underground?)
    I am most certainly not forgetting this! It's going to be one of the most highly anticipated (and forwardly planned) parties Durham has ever seen.
    I agree, we need a name that does not imply reject. Something that implies we are those fish that can fly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Question Mark)
    I will not comment on this matter (on others I will). however, I am entitled to my opionion even it condradicts others view.

I will also not be bullied by dragon or stray or any of the gang - especially as they are not applicants.

sorry if this rude.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we keep a sharp eye out for bullying on TSR so none of that will slip through our nets. Non-applicants are just as entitled to post in these threads as any other - I've been on TSR for five years now and have spent most of that advising applicants while not an applicant myself. That's how the life cycle of the forum works!

I appreciate that tensions are running quite high and the pool is an unpleasant place to be, but I'd like the atmosphere on this thread to stay calm and friendly to make it a nice place for everyone to be. I think everyone has had their say now, so if we could get back to chatting about swimming that would be lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    WOOOO

Don't let us forget about the Durham reject party

(although I think we need to change the reject tag to something more proud and such. The Oxbridge Underground?)

ReputationRep:
    Any news from anyone who got pooled by girton?

ReputationRep:
    How many fishies do we still have swimming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halleb9)
    Im a Selwyn law fish as well, home applicant! Sorry to hear that, im still swimming! Did you get an email or was it a copy of a letter?
    I got a real letter for the being pooled one -.- 7 days late
    and i got the rejection letter through email, they scanned it and attached it lol on that day.

best of luck! Avenge us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandergansen)
    143 people who have posted in this thread at some point but haven't reported an outcome - some of these may have heard something, they just haven't told us - and 34 people who were being interviewed from Thursday until today.

We have 77 direct offers and 92 rejections reported so far.

Total TSR poolees: 346.

ReputationRep:

still swimming! Trying to avoid getting nibbled by a school of older TSR fish who are also swimming in our waters for our help

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I think I speak for everyone here when I say I know the pool is a pretty awful state of limbo to be in. We get why tensions are running high.

As I've said even before interviews, a rejection must feel awful, especially as you got so close, but the UK is blessed with a lot of good universities. You're a talented bunch, and once you get some closure (either via a rejection or a late offer), I'm sure you'll continue to excel in whatever field you've chosen, Cambridge or not.

EDIT: you don't have to listen to Minerva, but I know what I'd do if I was a fish

ReputationRep:
    @Minerva or anyone else that can help

How many people reapply each year and are your chances reduced at all if you're applying for a second time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siena16)
    Just realised that we applied to 4 of the same Law Schools! Will you firm LSE and insure Bristol?
    Ooh which ones?

Think I'll definitely firm LSE unless I hate it on the visit day and Durham make me an offer; as for insurance I'm probably gonna hold out for Warwick. Didn't like Bristol much on the open day tbh :/ How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)

How many people reapply each year and are your chances reduced at all if you're applying for a second time?
    If you like I could try and dig around for the statistics, I know they are on the internet somewhere. But if I recall correctly, success rate is roughly equal to those applying in year 13, perhaps a little bit lower.

Reapplying can be a good move - but you have to be sensible about it. That means, you could think about reapplying if you got 3A*+, but if you didn't get excellent grades it could well be a waste. I would also tie in a gap year with actually doing something - such as doing some volunteer work or getting work experience. It doesn't look good if you are just sitting on the sofa watching TV all year.

Cambridge generally expect more from re-applicants in many subjects. So it may well be harder next time around - but it may also be that you will be better prepared and more comfortable about the process.

One thing I would definitely stress is to ask for feedback and pay attention to what it says. If it says your grades let you down - then you can work on that and potentially get in next year. But if it says you wouldn't be suited to Cambridge's teaching system then you will likely be rejected next year for the same reason.

Also, the option of applying for a postgraduate course is always open. Unless you are really, really sure that it's worth taking a year out to reapply, I would advise against doing so. The difference in teaching at many top universities doesn't vary that much. So if you have an offer from UCL, Imperial, Birmingham, Durham, Bristol, etc. - then I would seriously consider them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)

My school used to tell us that the post-qualificationn success rate was about 5% higher than the pre-qualification.

However you have to remember that not all post-qual applicants are re-applicants and almost nobody applies post-qual without having achieved at\ least A*AA or equivalent.

If you are pooled you have shown yourself as being within a whisker of getting in. If you work hard and achieve very good results (say A*A*A for humanities A*A*A* for sciences) then with the experience of knowing what interviews are about your chances must be good for all except the very most competitive courses. (Although even then no worse
    than for anybody else).

However the disappointment of not getting in may be worse if you are not successful so you have to be sure that you value a Gap year enough to take the risk. There really are many other good universities and I know very few friends who didn't go on to do well and be very happy elsewhere. Many of them were eventually pleased to end up somewhere with a lower workload or a course that suited them better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Ooh which ones?

Think I'll definitely firm LSE unless I hate it on the visit day and Durham make me an offer; as for insurance I'm probably gonna hold out for Warwick. Didn't like Bristol much on the open day tbh :/ How about you?
    I applied to LSE, Cambridge (obvs), Warwick, Bristol and Newcastle!

In hindsight I wouldn't have applied to Newcastle as a back up, but yeah I'm also waiting for Warwick and then need to choose between Bristol and Warwick for insurance :/

Best of luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)

I'm not a gap year student but I really don't think anyone should take a gap year just because they want to get into cambridge, unless you are really unhappy about your other offers. Cambridge should not be your everything and is certainly not worth taking a year off, remember you can always apply again for postgrad and in fact it is easier to get a first in other universities which means you will have even more options by then (possible US unis, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siena16)
    I applied to LSE, Cambridge (obvs), Warwick, Bristol and Newcastle!

In hindsight I wouldn't have applied to Newcastle as a back up, but yeah I'm also waiting for Warwick and then need to choose between Bristol and Warwick for insurance :/

Best of luck with everything!
    You too, hopefully see you at LSE

ReputationRep:
    Still going!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fishie in that place where you can see the light, but you don't quite need to walk into it yet... they could still suck me back to full life should they choose...

btw in english - i'm being kept in a fishing box ready to be cast back in to the pool to drown or taken back to the fisherman's house (the college) to be kept as a pet...

btw in simple english as wikipedia does - I'm waiting back for rejection or acception on my reinterview...

SEE WHAT THIS PROCESS HAS DONE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    My preference college said they sent the letters for my course yesterday but why the hell is it not in the post today? ;___; All I want is a closure, I accept it as a rejection already, fine but I want to read the letter, to hear from the tutors Why??? Oh now it will be Monday and I won't even have time for grief because I got exams on Tuesday. Great!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.