Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKA17)

Just saying, in a situation like this, it looks remarkably easy to get missed... or is that just me?
    Just you . Don't worry, it's very highly organised, and don't forget that they also have what are called 'poolside meetings' which are subject based, so they do have a system for keeping an overview of what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    Hi minerva
    I'm fairly sure I have been auto pooled due to terrible interview and good UMS
    Does this put me at a disadvantage, does my original college tell the other colleges about my interview and what they thought of me ? Or will they just see my original application ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Just you . Don't worry, it's very highly organised, and don't forget that they also have what are called 'poolside meetings' which are subject based, so they do have a system for keeping an overview of what's going on.
    Thank you for that! Made me a little calmer would like to also add your comments have been most helpful following this! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    is average UMS but good interview better than average interview but good UMS for pooling? If so it seems Cam rewards 'textbook warriors' more than those who seem to be able to have a good discussion about their subject, to me

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get how this pool thing works. I get the concept and objective of it but if people have got rejected or pooled by colleges because of too many applicants surely there's no room for anyone else?? HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been fished

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The exaggerater)
    Hi minerva
    Does this put me at a disadvantage, does my original college tell the other colleges about my interview and what they thought of me ? Or will they just see my original application ?
    The college you applied to will put on your "pool profile" information about your grades, your interview and any test you sat at the interview (basically, they see everything). Other colleges will then make decisions based on what they see.

Don't worry about UMS pooling vs. Not-UMS pooling. Some colleges probably seek out high UMS candidates, some colleges may take the view that the interview is much more important. But remember there isn't anything you can do now so just try to relax and prepare for your modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    x
    just had a look at last year's winter report... it says that 352 people were fished from the pool, but the letter summary that they sent in the post claims that 1002 applicants were made offers... what's going on!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•)
    Hi Minerva, could you possibly give me any sort of inclination as to what my chances are (I understand you can't say anything for definite!)

I'm a maths applicant (so no auto pool), pooled from St Johns, an I was wondering if the fact it's not autopool and that I've been pooled from a big college would work in my favour?

My UMS average is 92.6%, with 96.5% full maths a level...

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    If you look at the statistics for St John's College you'll see that John's applicants tend to be quite successful in the pool, though less successful than Trinity. I wish you the best of luck.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I've been fished
    Where to? Straight offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    is average UMS but good interview better than average interview but good UMS for pooling? If so it seems Cam rewards 'textbook warriors' more than those who seem to be able to have a good discussion about their subject, to me
    If nothing else, it shows how impressive your application was (same for maths/ medicine applicants) - it essentially means you've been pooled on merit of your interview performance alone. I can't say any hard numbers, but I would say it's a good thing.
    I've been fished
    Fantastic!! Which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    The college you applied to will put on your "pool profile" information about your grades, your interview and any test you sat at the interview (basically, they see everything). Other colleges will then make decisions based on what they see.

Don't worry about UMS pooling vs. Not-UMS pooling. Some colleges probably seek out high UMS candidates, some colleges may take the view that the interview is much more important. But remember there isn't anything you can do now so just try to relax and prepare for your modules.
    Yh thanks I better get revising I don't have time to think about this when I have SIX exams in January. Why do they have to do this now

ReputationRep:
    I've been fished
    congrats! did they call? e-mail? knock on the door?

post card? o_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TPJY)
    just had a look at last year's winter report... it says that 352 people were fished from the pool, but the letter summary that they sent in the post claims that 1002 applicants were made offers... what's going on!?
    1000 is the correct number.

ReputationRep:
    Not that Ive been snooping or anything, but the form about our pooling situation doesn't look like it has predicted grades on, just UMS achieved and then interview notes, will this make a difference and can anyone confirm if what I saw is true (no predicted grades mentioned)

ReputationRep:
    I've been fished
    Via phone or email? And well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Where to? Straight offer?
    If nothing else, it shows how impressive your application was (same for maths/ medicine applicants) - it essentially means you've been pooled on merit of your interview performance alone. I can't say any hard numbers, but I would say it's a good thing.

Fantastic!! Which college?
    (Original post by TPJY)
    congrats! did they call? e-mail? knock on the door?

post card? o_O
    (Original post by lighterthanAyer)
    Via phone or email? And well done
    Phone call from Gonville & Caius, no interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Reece)
    Not that Ive been snooping or anything, but the form about our pooling situation doesn't look like it has predicted grades on, just UMS achieved and then interview notes, will this make a difference and can anyone confirm if what I saw is true (no predicted grades mentioned)
    A complete summary of your whole application is available in your folder, including your UCAS form and SAQ.

Congratulations!!
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    LOL. I hope you get out Chicken
    Many thanks Is STEP part of your offer?

(Original post by The exaggerater)
    Hi minerva
    There's really no use in speculating. They have information about your interview as you're scored for your effort. I doubt be auto pooled puts you at an advantage. You can't be seen as bad just because you had a good UMS :lol:
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations friend you deserve it :cute:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.