Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    Phone call from Gonville & Caius, no interview!
    Mobile or home? Just wanna make sure

College neighbour! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy for you! (and so jealous )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't let me drown in this pool! I'm too pretty to die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lieseldante)
    Pooled by Selwyn for Anglais.
    Moi aussi! Hi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Reece)
    Not that Ive been snooping or anything, but the form about our pooling situation doesn't look like it has predicted grades on, just UMS achieved and then interview notes, will this make a difference and can anyone confirm if what I saw is true (no predicted grades mentioned)
    where did you snoop this from?

ReputationRep:
    I've been fished
    Congrats! For what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    is average UMS but good interview better than average interview but good UMS for pooling? If so it seems Cam rewards 'textbook warriors' more than those who seem to be able to have a good discussion about their subject, to me
    If anything I would expect the interview to make the difference, but I don't know this. What I do know is that what Cambridge (and 'the other place', for that matter) are looking for is ability to thrive in their academic environment - this is less to do with current grades than it is to do with how you approach new ground and tackle things that challenge your capacity to think laterally and creatively - that is what is generally tested at interview. If someone has very high grades but didn't do so well at interview, pooling them gives the admissions tutors another chance to see whether this is someone who may have been 'spoon fed' throughout their school career - it happens - or was just having a 'bad' day.

(Original post by 06waraujol)
    I really don't get how this pool thing works. I get the concept and objective of it but if people have got rejected or pooled by colleges because of too many applicants surely there's no room for anyone else?? HELP
    Colleges don't allocate all their places at the outset. What the 'too many applicants' bit means is that a college has had very strong applications and finished up with more possibilities than they have room for.

Say a college has had ten applicants for four places. Of those ten, they are absolutely sure that three are well up there in terms of the Cambridge standard, and another two or three meet the general expectations but aren't streets ahead of everyone else. In that case they'll probably pool those two or three to see whether they can find someone better; alternatively they might make their fourth offer to one of them, and pool the others because their application is broadly of the right standard, and another college might be interested.

Or another scenario - the college has four places, but of their applicants there are six who are well up there. Somehow the college has to decide which four to take, and pool the other two. Other colleges that are not so over-subscribed can then look at those applications and see how they compare with their own applicants that they are still considering and/or fill spaces they don't need for their own applicants.

The subject meetings before Christmas look across all their applicants and - presumably - rank them in some way. Colleges can then compare the standard of their applicants with everyone else's. So in a case where a college has four places, but whose applicants were all in the bottom half of the rankings, it would be likely that no offers would be made to anyone who applied to them directly, and instead the college would go fishing. It's not often that a college makes all its offers through the Pool, but I have seen examples from time to time over the years (can't remember a specific one at the moment).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    is average UMS but good interview better than average interview but good UMS for pooling? If so it seems Cam rewards 'textbook warriors' more than those who seem to be able to have a good discussion about their subject, to me
    What I've heard was that the interviews were partially to weed out textbook warriors i.e. Good memory and hard work!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! One MML-er free, this makes me nervous..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TPJY)
    where did you snoop this from?
    This handbook for admissions tutors is quite insightful
    http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...ficers2013.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I havent heard from John's (natsci) yet but I'm 93% sure that they have pooled me. Will update when I know for certain.

Good luck to those in the pool. Almost everyone at my school has been pooled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Congratulations friend you deserve it :cute:
    Thank you, you'll get the offer you deserve too

(Original post by lighterthanAyer)
    Mobile or home? Just wanna make sure
    Home

(Original post by Oromis263)
    College neighbour! :ahee:
    Woohoo :ahee:

(Original post by Kidioteque)
    I'm so happy for you! (and so jealous )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I'm sure you'll get an offer too

(Original post by Hebbamundo)
    Congrats! For what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    MML (French and German)

(Original post by jh.)
    Congrats! One MML-er free, this makes me nervous..
    There must still be MML places for you!

(Original post by A Light Lilt)
    Hey everyone. I havent heard from John's (natsci) yet but I'm 93% sure that they have pooled me. Will update when I know for certain.

Good luck to those in the pool. Almost everyone at my school has been pooled
    If you have been pooled, then good luck! Until you find out though, I hope it's good news, just delayed.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody! Congratulations to those who have been already fished and good luck to the rest of us! I was pooled by Caius for medicine! I am an IB student with predicted 45/45 and 4 Higher Level subjects, including English A1, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics! My BMAT scores were mediocre, more like: 4.1/6.2/4.5A... + in the equivalent GCSE examinations of my country I obtained 100%... Do extra-curriculars matter at all? I have two medals in international science and philosophy olympiads, but it doesn't seem like they matter too much! Is there any chance for me, honestly, to be fished? I would appreciate any reply! Thank you all!

ReputationRep:
    I've been fished
    well done! but get out of here now, you're getting our hopes up :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lux-Aeterna)
    Auto-Pooled by St. Catherine's for Bio NatSci. Another week of hell it seems..
    SAME!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    If you have been pooled, then good luck! Until you find out though, I hope it's good news, just delayed.
    Thanks oromis

and well done on your offer!! Big surprise there haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The exaggerater)
    Hi minerva
    I'm fairly sure I have been auto pooled due to terrible interview and good UMS
    Does this put me at a disadvantage, does my original college tell the other colleges about my interview and what they thought of me ? Or will they just see my original application ?
    und is right.

I've been fished
    Congratulations

(Original post by TPJY)
    just had a look at last year's winter report... it says that 352 people were fished from the pool, but the letter summary that they sent in the post claims that 1002 applicants were made offers... what's going on!?
    352 is the number of people we had on TSR; the 1002 relates to the overall figures published by Cambridge. You can see that the TSR group was roughly 10% of the whole group.

(Original post by Llewellyn)
    1000 is the correct number.
    Well, 1002 :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellasphere)
    Pooled by Queens' College for History. Anyone else in the same boat?

My UMS is 89% but my second interview went quite well so fingers crossed

Me too, UMS 96.5% applied for rather over-subscribed Clare -hoping for the best!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.