The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah-madeline
So does that mean if we were reinterviewed and have heard no news there is still chance of an offer...? :/

Maybe. If other people who were interviewed at the same college as you for the same course have posted saying they've got offers, then probably not sorry... If other people who were interviewed at the same college as you for the same course still haven't heard anything, then there is probably still a chance. But I think the longer we wait the more likely it is that it's a rejection...
Reply 5321
anyone with any economics info please post something or private message me. i still haven't heard anything and i wasn't even called back for interview
Original post by WJRA
I was pooled from Caius for English. Still waiting to hear back though.

Got everything tightly crossed for you. Let me know when you hear something! :smile:
Reply 5323
So does that mean if we were reinterviewed and have heard no news there is still chance of an offer...? :/

Have you had a look on last years pool thread to see when your college responded to applicants they'd reinterviewed?
I'm my case (Girton) most people didn't hear anything until the end of what would be this week so I'm assuming I've still got a 50% chance until then! That's if they're as slow this year, anyway.
Reply 5324

Original post by iamsherlocked
Maybe. If other people who were interviewed at the same college as you for the same course have posted saying they've got offers, then probably not sorry... If other people who were interviewed at the same college as you for the same course still haven't heard anything, then there is probably still a chance. But I think the longer we wait the more likely it is that it's a rejection...
I agree with this.

Original post by john414
anyone with any economics info please post something or private message me. i still haven't heard anything and i wasn't even called back for interview
I'm afraid there's nothing to add to what's in the updates already posted. Which college did you apply to?
Original post by iamsherlocked

That's obviously not true as some people are waiting to hear from colleges who have given out both rejections and offers so far. People were getting offers up until at least 20th January last year, all this overanalysing is pointless. X
Original post by savagedhearts
Anybody re-interviewed at Magdalene and heard anything yet? :/ Sigh

had an interview on Saturday, but not heard back yet.
Reply 5327
Original post by bambi897064
That's obviously not true as some people are waiting to hear from colleges who have given out both rejections and offers so far. People were getting offers up until at least 20th January last year, all this overanalysing is pointless. X
iamsherlocked's post related specifically to re-interviewed people, not those who have heard nothing at all since being pooled. Also remember that the subject in question adds another dimension here - some clearly take longer (Nat Sci and Medicine for example) than others to agree the final outcomes.
Original post by Minerva
iamsherlocked's post related specifically to re-interviewed people, not those who have heard nothing at all since being pooled. Also remember that the subject in question adds another dimension here - some clearly take longer (Nat Sci and Medicine for example) than others to agree the final outcomes.

Yes but I know that at the college who reinterviewed me for my subject NatSci some people have already heard post reinterviewed both good and bad and yet some have not heard at all
Original post by _Georgie
Have you had a look on last years pool thread to see when your college responded to applicants they'd reinterviewed?
I'm my case (Girton) most people didn't hear anything until the end of what would be this week so I'm assuming I've still got a 50% chance until then! That's if they're as slow this year, anyway.

And last year Robinson For NatSci posted out on the Tuesday with offers arriving Wed/Thur depending upon post.
Thought this might help -
Someone i know got fished yesterday by Trinity for Engineering, A*A*A (maths, further maths, physics) after a re-interview.

Good luck everyone still swimming!
Reply 5331
just an update to say I received an offer from Robinson via letter this morning :biggrin:

best of luck to those waiting for news
Reply 5332
Original post by bambi897064
Yes but I know that at the college who reinterviewed me for my subject NatSci some people have already heard post reinterviewed both good and bad and yet some have not heard at all
Yes, which may mean that the admissions tutors have made further progress towards a final shortlist for the last few offers, or that they have made their decisions and we are waiting for the college/s concerned to communicate them.
Original post by minnow
just an update to say I received an offer from Robinson via letter this morning :biggrin:

Well done! Which subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minerva
Yes, which may mean that the admissions tutors have made further progress towards a final shortlist for the last few offers, or that they have made their decisions and we are waiting for the college/s concerned to communicate them.

Okay thank you :-)
Original post by minnow

Congratulations! Was this a direct offer or after being reinterviewed?
What was this for and when did you hear? I was re interviewed and am still waiting for the result!

Got a phone call on saturday evening but managed to miss it...called them on monday morning and they told me.
I hope you get good news!
Original post by thebadboy761
You know, i read this and i was like wow

it's nice to see Oxford doing something like this, but what you mean is that if you get rejected you get rejected? no second chances?

(I chose Cambridge due to the fact that I was introduced to it when I was in Form 2 and I found it brilliant and also the fact that some upper classmen of mine are at Oxford and I didn't want to be in their shadow. However, reading your post as shifted my Cambridge vs Oxford bar towards the right. I'll definitely reconsider if all my other choices reject me)

Thanks for the post

Pooled, then drowned international applicant

Oxford operates on a slightly different system. You can get re-allocated to another College before your interview (I was), and during the interview period, you can get additional interviews at your own College (I did) or get sent to other colleges for interviews after finishing those at your own College. I've also heard of people getting offers from Colleges which had not interviewed them. For the Sciences, I believe it's common for every applicant who is invited to interview to be interviewed at two Colleges.

Basically, they just do the pooling bit as part of their admissions process (eg interviews at another College will take place in the same period, there's no "callback"). The end result is that you will get a definite answer with your decision letter: Yes or No. There's no pool.
Original post by Minerva
I did :tongue:

Thank you so much for such a helpful and insightful post.

As for telling Cambridge..... every year I consider whether to contact them and have a chat with them about how dreadful this process is. Maybe I should email the CAO with a link to this thread (and the ones from previous years) and a couple of very large question marks. I have no doubt that admissions tutors work long and hard during the Pool and that they do their best to make the process as fair as they can. What I do take issue with is how there is no consistent (and enforced) standard for the timing and nature of communications with the applicants, so that - for instance - some colleges are allowed to be so cavalier in their attitudes towards applicants that it's been known for news of a rejection to turn up on Track before the unfortunate has received their personal letter. That, in my view, after everything that these applicants have been through, is totally shameful and not worthy of a world-class university - well, actually, not worthy of any university at all.

/rant :biggrin: :biggrin:

You might think that Admissions Tutors work long and hard. They have short periods of intense work/interviews which seem by comparison to their usual freedoms onerous, but are by normal job standards, a breezy day at the office. Admissions week is the only week all year Oxford academics have to work a 9-5 day. For about 2 or 3 days. It nearly kills them. Some colleagues read the UCAS form for the first time during interview and they can't really be bothered with feedback. The only hope is that now students are customers, paying high fees, their legitimate demands for better service will shake things up. Don't get me going on how PhD students do all the teaching, while professors wiggle themselves out of tutorials to do research, the lack of marking, supervision, the above-market rates charged for rooms, I could go on. Dear students, find a voice and use it. Oxbridge needs to hear.
any medics still swimming in the pool? I got pooled by Caius and I didnt have a reinterview. just keep swimming~

Latest

Trending

Trending