The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5780
Original post by Colmans
It is too late for this year. However if you reapply in October you could still submit a form for MML or linguistics then and if your results this summer are good you may get an offer. However you would then need a Gap year as it would be for 2014 entry.

Ah ok thanks for the info - I think i'll ask for feedback which will help me to determine whether or not it would be worth reapplying. I loved Cambridge when I visited and if there is a possibility of me getting an offer for 2014, I'd be happy taking a gap year. I am pleased with the offers I've currently got but I feel Cambridge would be ideal for me, plus I would get a real experience of living away from home, which, if I went to UCL I wouldn't get as much of since I've lived in London my whole life. If I was to reapply should it be to a different college?
Reply 5781
Original post by ConnorM
If I was to reapply should it be to a different college?

Definitely apply to a different college.
Reply 5782
Original post by mucgoo
Definitely apply to a different college.

I'll wait for feedback and take it from there - if I was to get an A* in French I may consider applying for ML and Linguistics but at Oxford. If I spent my gap year working and living in France, do you think my chances of getting an offer would be helped?
Original post by ConnorM
I'll wait for feedback and take it from there - if I was to get an A* in French I may consider applying for ML and Linguistics but at Oxford. If I spent my gap year working and living in France, do you think my chances of getting an offer would be helped?

Yes it would. Partly because it shows interest but more so because you would learn so much. Your French would improve and so you would do better on the grammar test and you could develop a wide interest in French culture, read a lot in French and becoming a more rounded candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5784
Original post by Colmans
Yes it would. Partly because it shows interest but more so because you would learn so much. Your French would improve and so you would do better on the grammar test and you could develop a wide interest in French culture, read a lot in French and becoming a more rounded candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks for the advice Colmans, out of interest which university are you at?
Original post by ConnorM
Ok thanks for the advice Colmans, out of interest which university are you at?

Final year Cambridge Economics but sibling who did MML

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5786
Original post by Colmans
Final year Cambridge Economics but sibling who did MML

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, did your sibling take a gap year? Also what were his/her A Levels?
Original post by ConnorM
Ah ok, did your sibling take a gap year? Also what were his/her A Levels?

My sib didn't do a Gap, was told they interviewed well but was weak on Grammar and was encouraged to reapply after a year abroad by Oxford but went elsewhere ( and had a great time). A levels were French, Italian, Latin, Economics all A but Pre A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If we do bad in the interview and things don't go well but you got 93UMS. Does that mean cambridge cannot reject you and have to pool you instead?

Also, why is mathematics not part of the auto pool if you get 93+UMS?
Original post by aceofmaster
If we do bad in the interview and things don't go well but you got 93UMS. Does that mean cambridge cannot reject you and have to pool you instead?

It's slightly more subtle than just 93UMS - see section 3 on page 2 of this document for the full description. The threshold for auto pool is also subject to change from year to year.

Maths is unique in that it gives a large allowance for offers compared to actual admissions (around double as many offers as admissions) since the post-offer STEP requirement acts as a natural filter. This means that if you didn't reach the standard to get an offer (or actively pooled) then it's very unlikely your application would be competitive in the pool through autopooling. Hence they don't bother. However the admissions tutors knows the situation and arguably gives you more leeway for getting an offer as they can afford to give out twice as many offers as spaces.

I agree with UK Dragon's answer completely. I would add that most serious maths applicants are approaching 100% UMS and so you would end up pooling almost everybody. This is why they need STEP to separate them.
This would be a good thing though. I know STEP is extremely hard but if you actually work hard, then you will be able to past it.

Does this mean that a lot of people applying for mathematics at Cambridge gets an offer?

Original post by ukdragon37
It's slightly more subtle than just 93UMS - see section 3 on page 2 of this document for the full description. The threshold for auto pool is also subject to change from year to year.

Maths is unique in that it gives a large allowance for offers compared to actual admissions (around double as many offers as admissions) since the post-offer STEP requirement acts as a natural filter. This means that if you didn't reach the standard to get an offer (or actively pooled) then it's very unlikely your application would be competitive in the pool through autopooling. Hence they don't bother. However the admissions tutors knows the situation and arguably gives you more leeway for getting an offer as they can afford to give out twice as many offers as spaces.
This would be a good thing though. I know STEP is extremely hard but if you actually work hard, then you will be able to past it.

Does this mean that a lot of people applying for mathematics at Cambridge gets an offer?

Well sort of. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/

There are around 1250 applicants and about 500 offers are typically given for around 250 places. That doesn't seem too bad, but then the majority of Cambridge maths applicants will be at the top of their class and won't struggle with A level maths.
Although they may be wrong, and it is a disappointment for you, that is exactly the sort of feedback that shows -what you did well and what you did less well, expressed with enormous courtesy. Why don't most do the same?

Latest

Trending

Trending