The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by JKA17
I have also gone through all imagineable stats and what not, and yes I agree, you would think, but apparently some are rubbish and don't understand what a completely awful situation this is and don't bother telling people very quickly.
There is also the added confusion of people being given offers from their original college which then goes down in the stats as a direct offer, which makes the picture look very slightly better.
I have next to me my mobile on full volume, a landline phone, my phone with one email account running and my laptop with another (don't know which one it would be), and a pen and pad ready. Sad. I'm clearly stressed, my 15 year old sister just volunteered to use her Saturday afternoon to help me research for my EPQ to calm me down. I must stop looking at the clock...

Well fingers crossed for you!! With both Durham and this pool :smile: I never visited Bristol, I just applied, did you?

so the 164 offers that that were given last year from the college that pooled them weren't included in the 1002 offers from the pool overall? my phone is under my arm, which is resting on my laptop. I've got all the email tabs open and am sitting next to the house phone.

In a bid to do something calming I'm desperately trying to do some Spanish lit notes I was meant to do a while but never got round to starting due to (you guessed it) interview prep.

I didn't visit Bristol, but we have family friends there and I've been to the city a couple of times. Strangely I did visit Durham (despite it being ridiculously further away) you?

I dislike this waiting so much.
Original post by Atropos
I'm sitting here for about 2 hours reading every post...oh god my life is so sad :biggrin:

Same here - despite the fact it's reassuring to know everybody else is in the same boat, all this suspense is making me feel worse :frown:
Reply 622
Original post by T_x
:console: Fellow Clare applicant here! When I look at the statistics it FREAKS ME OUT that numbers were 56 this year! Have you had any contact with any of the colleges since being pooled?

I'm guessing you applied for history too right? No contact yet (desperately crosses fingers) how about you? Well the numbers were the highest this year than they ever have been... So I suppose we still might be good, just not in line for winning the next nobel prize
Reply 623
the fact that I'm reading about other people being just as scared as me calms me down, but seriously I should do some work than trying to calm myself down all the time :biggrin:D

nearly 3 (time when people will be called and I will be like WHY AREN'T U CALLING MEEEEEEE :x)
(edited 11 years ago)
Here we go

in the Words of The Who; We "Won't get Pooled again" :biggrin:
This isn't fun :colonhash:
Reply 626
Is it true that at this stage, it it very unlikely for your preference college to make you an offer from the pool? I say this because the admissions tutor from your preference college would have had the opportunity to look at others in the pool on Weds and Thurs. I believe Thurs is the deadline for your preference college to fish you from the pool, so surely they would be able to let you know in the decision letter they sent out on Thurs 3 Jan.
Reply 627
Original post by theminimg
I'm guessing you applied for history too right? No contact yet (desperately crosses fingers) how about you? Well the numbers were the highest this year than they ever have been... So I suppose we still might be good, just not in line for winning the next nobel prize

History indeed. No contact yet. I just hope that there weren't too many of us pooled out of the 56 applicants so that in comparison we stand out more *prays*.
Reply 628
Original post by Atropos
maths at trinity (but they don't want me ;'(), btw. by saying ACE i didn't want to say the word these are the grades :biggrin:

yeah i know ahah :tongue: aww lowe them^_^

Original post by alicegough
why does everyone think the calls will only happen after 3pm?

because that's what the rule is
Reply 629
when you get put into the pool, do colleges that are looking through the pool know what your preference college was?
Reply 630
Original post by Ivo
Is it true that at this stage, it it very unlikely for your preference college to make you an offer from the pool? I say this because the admissions tutor from your preference college would have had the opportunity to look at others in the pool on Weds and Thurs. I believe Thurs is the deadline for your preference college to fish you from the pool, so surely they would be able to let you know in the decision letter they sent out on Thurs 3 Jan.

It is unlikely, yes, but there are still a few scenarios in which it could happen
Reply 631
Original post by theminimg
so the 164 offers that that were given last year from the college that pooled them weren't included in the 1002 offers from the pool overall? my phone is under my arm, which is resting on my laptop. I've got all the email tabs open and am sitting next to the house phone.

In a bid to do something calming I'm desperately trying to do some Spanish lit notes I was meant to do a while but never got round to starting due to (you guessed it) interview prep.

I didn't visit Bristol, but we have family friends there and I've been to the city a couple of times. Strangely I did visit Durham (despite it being ridiculously further away) you?

I dislike this waiting so much.

No I think they're counted in there, but on this: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/ they're not. Not that I really understand!!

At least that's productive! I've managed 780 words of my essay which I started this morning. I do about a sentence and then refresh this thread. Not good.

Ah ok, is it nice? I also visited Durham, its far away for me too, I stayed overnight in one of the colleges. Which college at Durham did you apply for?

Tell me about it. Especially knowing one chap for history has already been fished. Yesterday. GAH.
Reply 632
Original post by TPJY
when you get put into the pool, do colleges that are looking through the pool know what your preference college was?

Yes, it's on the cover sheet of your file
Reply 633
Original post by lisa_
YAY! Sorry, I'm just so happy at finding someone who hasn't got like 97 UMS average as mine is about 85 too. I guess we have the benefit of knowing we interviewed well but I'm a little scared that colleges won't want the risk of taking someone with lower UMS. I guess all we have to do is wait and see, good luck!

yayayayay i'm not alone! guess they must have liked our interviews :smile: what subject/college did you apply for? :smile: good luck to you too!
Original post by Atropos
if bad GCSE's help then I'm here for the winner i have 3 GCSE's (ACE) :d

unfortunely, it's not the reason :biggrin:

It doesn't guarantee you a place however if you have come from:
a school that is in a poor area or that has poor results
you have previously been in care or adopted
you had poor GCSEs results
you have/had a physical disability or a treated mental disability

these can all help you to get into Oxbridge, however they aren't guaranteed and you still need to work your bum off to get excellent results!
Reply 635
Original post by T_x
History indeed. No contact yet. I just hope that there weren't too many of us pooled out of the 56 applicants so that in comparison we stand out more *prays*.

Well if 10 of the 56 got offers...

46/56

... I don't know...

I've cracked open a box of chocolates and have abandoned *casual working* to calm myself down. It wasn't working. None of it was working....;lsdkjfas;ljfdl;askjdfl;askdjfl;akjsdfl;askdjf;laskdfj

do you know how many history applicants have been pooled or others who've heard?
Its 3 o'clock !
Reply 637
so it begins...
Reply 638
Original post by gregzz
yes, it's on the cover sheet of your file

ahh okay cool

omg it's three o' clock
3pm guys!!!

telephone next to me, mobile no longer on silent, emails open.

and now we wait....

Latest

Trending

Trending