Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soempty)
    I did not take AS further maths, but I have done maths a-level last year and will be doing a2 further maths and as additional further maths this year.
    Oh wow, that's quite impressive! I'd definitely say that you're in with a chance. I'm doing AS Further this year (FP1/2/3) with 4 A2's. No idea if I have a chance, I think I'll be disadvantaged by the fact that I'm only doing AS and haven't actually obtained a grade in it yet. I did mention on the SAQ/COPA though that my school only offers the subject at AS level and to year 13's so hopefully that will be taken into consideration. Are the FP modules particularly respected by any chance? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=cantthinkofone;40868204]Lol yeh my plan was take four.. Then if one goes disastrously wrong u still have three more lol and no ive not found anyone else yet

Whar subjects do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hebbamundo)
    Oh wow, that's quite impressive! I'd definitely say that you're in with a chance. I'm doing AS Further this year (FP1/2/3) with 4 A2's. No idea if I have a chance, I think I'll be disadvantaged by the fact that I'm only doing AS and haven't actually obtained a grade in it yet. I did mention on the SAQ/COPA though that my school only offers the subject at AS level and to year 13's so hopefully that will be taken into consideration. Are the FP modules particularly respected by any chance? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you also economics applicant? If so where did you apply originally?

Some parts of FM are quite usefull for economics at university level, matrices calculus etc. They actually gave a test on that to me. I would not say they are better than a-level modules anyway. Well, I don't think my chances are even positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tildamall)
    Has anyone else been given a place by Newnham and is pretty unsure about going to an all girls college???
    That happened to an older friend of mine. She ended up loving it there, and said it actually tended to be much quieter at times so she could study in peace.

ReputationRep:
    Are you also economics applicant? If so where did you apply originally?

Some parts of FM are quite usefull for economics at university level, matrices calculus etc. They actually gave a test on that to me. I would not say they are better than a-level modules anyway. Well, I don't think my chances are even positive.
    Yeah I was pooled by Downing having applied for economics! They got me to do some econometrics in one of my interviews so I know what you're talking about. How are you on paper (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you know if the colleges are open today as well? Hopefully we'll hear something, I'm not liking the suspense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hebbamundo)
    Yeah I was pooled by Downing having applied for economics! They got me to do some econometrics in one of my interviews so I know what you're talking about. How are you on paper (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you know if the colleges are open today as well? Hopefully we'll hear something, I'm not liking the suspense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean? If you are talking about grades and predictions its A*A*A predicted (Further maths, History, Economics) for a2 levels and AA (Additional further maths, critical thinking) for as. I have A* in a2 maths and A* in my native language. Ums wise I am at about 90-92% average and I have badly screwed up S2 module and got 60 ums at that out of 100 which is really bad.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person thinking I got literaly no chances of getting fished? Pooled by Homerton for eco and ums average <93%.
    You're not the only one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_X_0.0)
    I am from China. It's hard to keep myself from being distracted although I know it is impossible for them to email me at mignight!
    I'm from Malaysia... Yeah... I get the feeling of staring at your inbox blankly doing practically nothing productive despite having exams tomorrow... What a good timing

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else been given a place by Newnham and is pretty unsure about going to an all girls college???
    College is only a place where you sleep. Most of the time one spends time with people from other college any way.

ReputationRep:
    isn't it the time they should start making calls ?

ReputationRep:
    More waiting hurray

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carri10)
    More waiting hurray
    Soo true, I've just been looking at statistics, don't like em....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atropos)
    isn't it the time they should start making calls ?
    They'll probably only start calling after this weekend when they've sorted most of it out I'm guessing. This is the weekend where the winter pool discussion takes place :/

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? If you are talking about grades and predictions its A*A*A predicted (Further maths, History, Economics) for a2 levels and AA (Additional further maths, critical thinking) for as. I have A* in a2 maths and A* in my native language. Ums wise I am at about 90-92% average and I have badly screwed up S2 module and got 60 ums at that out of 100 which is really bad.

What about you?
    Nice! The S2 is a bit of a slip up but I'm sure they'll realize in the context of your whole application that you just had a bad day.

I got 5 As at AS in Maths, Physics, History, Economics and Thinking Skills (which is basically critical thinking) with A's on all the individual papers (UMS equivalent?). I'm predicted 4 A*s at A2 taking the same subjects as AS (expect Thinking Skills) and am also predicted an A in AS Further Maths. Hopefully we'll get lucky!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just been called... by my dad....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carri10)
    They'll probably only start calling after this weekend when they've sorted most of it out I'm guessing. This is the weekend where the winter pool discussion takes place :/
    they will only call today and tomorrow (after that chances are little)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insomniacramblings)
    How can you get an idea of what category you were placed in the pool as? I know there's no way to find out, but are there levels of recommendation?
    In that case, it was because of the wording of the letter quoted by the user. I am speculating however; there is no way of finding out for sure!

(Original post by oggdeferrer)
    Hiya Minerva,

Thank you so much for this thread again - it was a great source of comfort last year, and whilst I am really depressed to be in this situation again this year - I am glad that this is here!

I've been pooled by St Johns for Education with English and Drama, and I was thinking that the best shot I had at being fished was by Homerton. Homerton have already fished someone else out (from this thread!) for the same subject. Do you think this means that they have stopped giving offers, and I should wait with bated breath at the possibility of an offer from somewhere else? Gah - this is so stressful!

Once you can see that a college has made a batch of offers, I assume it is fairly unlikely that they will make any more offers at a later period...

This system just makes me overthink everything!

Good luck to everyone!!
    I have seen it happen that two TSR poolees have achieved offers for the same course at the same college, so you should not despair - and Homerton wouldn't be the only option anyway

(Original post by Tanmayee)
    So has anyone actually heard anything since finding out they were pooled?
    If you had read even the last few pages of the thread you would have seen that they have.

This is very common. Take a look at the Cambridge Colleges forum here.

quiet few people did approx 10-20people (closer to 10)
    ask Minerva SHE is hopefully keeping a list or something (well I'm not sure if she's making the list as she goes or if she will make it at the end but last year SHE made one so I'm hoping SHE will make one this year too )
    I am indeed maintaining a list, and will provide regular updates as I did last year, time permitting.... but I am keeping track as best I can of what's being reported.

ReputationRep:
    Soo true, I've just been looking at statistics, don't like em....
    Haha yeah, I was revising for my maths mock by doing statistics calculations on the info I could find ^^ I thought it would chill me out but it just made me more nervous

ReputationRep:
    they will only call today and tomorrow (after that chances are little)
    Damn, I thought we could have a chance untill Thursday :/

ReputationRep:
    Minerva hoped u like me making the fact that u r a SHE stand out ;D

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.