Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got offer from Bristol and Imperial for computing.
    I was pretty set on Bristol since I loved the university and the course, but it doesn't seem like there are many media IT companies there. I'm interested in software/app/games development (creative stuff),based on the little information I gathered online the economy for those industries in Bristol is rather transparent (In fact, it seems like the UK as a whole...the only place with some hope is London really). I know I could always move to London afterwards but if I'd be going London anyway I might as well go Imperial.

So could anyone tell me more about the developer activity in Bristol?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archdd)
    Got offer from Bristol and Imperial for computing.
    I was pretty set on Bristol since I loved the university and the course, but it doesn't seem like there are many media IT companies there. I'm interested in software/app/games development (creative stuff),based on the little information I gathered online the economy for those industries in Bristol is rather transparent (In fact, it seems like the UK as a whole...the only place with some hope is London really). I know I could always move to London afterwards but if I'd be going London anyway I might as well go Imperial.

So could anyone tell me more about the developer activity in Bristol?

Probably a difficult thing to track down via any sort of easy single website. However, technology more broadly is very strong in the Bristol area, and growing. I presume Aardman has had some positive influence on the creative/arts side of things. The Aerospace industry is very strong, and with 3 universities in very close proximity there are a lot of academic spin offs. Things like the Science Park are growing rapidly as well. http://www.bbsp.co.uk/about-bristol-...-science-park/

I suspect Bristol is just as good as London, not least because if an entrepreneurial, creative and technology based company wishes to grow, the first thing it does is move out of London where property costs are exorbitantly high and unnecessary if the work is computer based.

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few software (and other) companies up at Aztec West. There's also HP Labs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.