Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else sitting this exam in January?

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was, Picked ICT and regretted it. WJEC are mega strict with their marking

ReputationRep:
    I am! I think there aren't that many people doing it in the country though ... How are you finding revising for it, there aren't that many resources around...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting it as well. WJEC Computing has to be the worst course ever created in the history of humanity, they could at least provide their own resources to revise with but instead they expect us to know their exact terminology without question. Doesn't help that my teacher doesn't have a clue what he's doing in terms of theory as well, all I have is the teacher99 resources which aren't word perfect for the WJEC but are as close as we can get.

Anybody who has additional resources I would really appreciate them.

ReputationRep:
    I find it a bit strange you say that, does your teacher not have past papers and mark schemes to look at? I have them all up to June 2012 if anyone needs them. I would say all you need are mark schemes. I also have my own revision booklet I made if anyone is interested to have that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisRichardson)
    I find it a bit strange you say that, does your teacher not have past papers and mark schemes to look at? I have them all up to June 2012 if anyone needs them. I would say all you need are mark schemes. I also have my own revision booklet I made if anyone is interested to have that.
    If you can PLEASE attach your revision booklet to this tread, it would really help me. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the June 2012 mark scheme I would really appreciate it I've just done the past paper only to discover my college hasn't given us any way of checking our answers ...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we have past papers and mark schemes but whenever there is something we don't understand it takes him ages to get off his butt and explain it or he just describes it wrong.

I have the mark schemes now and I'm gonna scrape the papers of the WJEC website as well. I'd be interested in the revision booklet as well if you could post it please

ReputationRep:
    I think I did this right, this post has the 2012 exam and mark scheme attached.

ReputationRep:
    My cramming for this exam has begun >.> I'm going to dig through the past papers to see what questions are most likely going to come up. Just hope the final 10 mark question would be on something I know. I keep getting database normalisation/entity relationship diagrams wrong and don't understand arithmetic shifts >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archdd)
    My cramming for this exam has begun >.> I'm going to dig through the past papers to see what questions are most likely going to come up. Just hope the final 10 mark question would be on something I know. I keep getting database normalisation/entity relationship diagrams wrong and don't understand arithmetic shifts >.>
    Just for you archdd: Example (shift left by 2): 00111100 So the result of 2 shifts left would be 11110000. Example (shift right by 2): 00111100 Result would be 00001111 So what would happen if you shifted (01111000) 2 places left? It would result in (1) 11100000. The 8-bit can't contain the necessary bits, so overflow occurs. Underflow is the term for shifting right.
    Also I tried to upload this revision stuff hours ago, but it didn't seem to work, so I'll try again.

ReputationRep:
    Just for you archdd:

Example (shift left by 2): 00111100
    So the result of 2 shifts left would be 11110000.

Example (shift right by 2): 00111100
    Result would be 00001111

So what would happen if you shifted (01111000) 2 places left?
    It would result in (1) 11100000. The 8-bit can't contain the necessary bits, so overflow occurs. Underflow is the term for shifting right.

Also I tried to upload this revision stuff hours ago, but it didn't seem to work, so I'll try again.
    Thanks for clearing it up, I was confused since shifting right keeps the sign whilst shifting left is the same as logical shift.

ReputationRep:
    Just for you archdd:

Example (shift left by 2): 00111100
    So the result of 2 shifts left would be 11110000.

Example (shift right by 2): 00111100
    Result would be 00001111

So what would happen if you shifted (01111000) 2 places left?
    It would result in (1) 11100000. The 8-bit can't contain the necessary bits, so overflow occurs. Underflow is the term for shifting right.

Thanks for the revision notes, you're a life saver

ReputationRep:
    I don't think today's exam paper went as well as I wanted :s
    The stuff I revised for didn't come up but the worst kinds for me did.

ReputationRep:
    That exam was pure annoying man

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That exam was pure annoying man

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I hated those question that seem ambiguous when you know the answer but not sure if what you wrote down was convincing enough to get the mark ._.

I'm wondering how many people found the paper hard or unexpected but grade boundaries for computing are pretty much the same every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archdd)
    Yeah I hated those question that seem ambiguous
    Ironic how the BNF question was quite ambiguous.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't find the paper too bad. Our teacher entered us early to do it as a mock kind of exam (pretty stupid don't know why we just didn't one in class) and we haven't learned all the content yet so I'm not expecting a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    Actually found that exam alright, revised the past papers like what my teacher said and most of the things I revised apart from the 'special purpose software' bit came up so here's me hoping for a B at least

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got the mark scheme for this paper?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.