The Student Room Group

WJEC CG3 January 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LewisRichardson
Just for you archdd: Example (shift left by 2): 00111100 So the result of 2 shifts left would be 11110000. Example (shift right by 2): 00111100 Result would be 00001111 So what would happen if you shifted (01111000) 2 places left? It would result in (1) 11100000. The 8-bit can't contain the necessary bits, so overflow occurs. Underflow is the term for shifting right.
Also I tried to upload this revision stuff hours ago, but it didn't seem to work, so I'll try again.

Hi mate, could you please upload your cg3 notes? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Can I PM it to you somewhere?
Reply 22
Can I PM it to you somewhere?

Hi I sent you a pm.

Cheers.
This has got to be one of the hardest exams i've come across. :frown: Not really impressed. My teacher is absolutely legend at Computing and has found many mistakes in both the Mark Schemes and Question Papers. One of them being, an Interrupt can be caused by software? I'm sure it can actually only be caused by hardware?
Reply 24
Original post by Enginerd.
This has got to be one of the hardest exams i've come across. :frown: Not really impressed. My teacher is absolutely legend at Computing and has found many mistakes in both the Mark Schemes and Question Papers. One of them being, an Interrupt can be caused by software? I'm sure it can actually only be caused by hardware?

It can definitely be performed by software but I agree the exam is absolutely rubbish would help if they had a definitive text book to revise from the teacher99 notes are good but half of the time they are different to what is on the mark schemes
Reply 25
Sorry for double posting but could somebody explain floating point arithmetic, mantissa and exponent please? :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Huwtrosky
Sorry for double posting but could somebody explain floating point arithmetic, mantissa and exponent please? :biggrin:

Have you got TheTeacher software? Use that, it explains it really well.
Do we need to know how to store negative numbers e.g. -14.625 in floating point?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Okay cheers I'll take a look, I don't think negatives have come up on papers yet but I'd learn it just in case
If you want some advice just compile all the essential content to learn straight from exam answers (even if they are crap), at least then you'll have accuracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
The way I'm revising at the moment is doing past papers then marking them from the mark scheme and seeing which areas I need to improve on and taking the answers from the scheme as my notes
Hmm, i'm revising by gathering all the definitions and just memorizing em, the other stuff, you either know or you dont. Very hard to bluff your way to a good grade here.
Does anyone have the CG3 Jan 2013 Paper and Mark Scheme, can you please upload it here. Thank you.
For the few people interested I've also got a homemade revision booklet
Reply 34
For the few people interested I've also got a homemade revision booklet

Thanks for these, definitely good for some last minute revision!
Reply 35
has anyone got tips on how to write algorithms? because that's the bit i struggle with most. :redface:
Original post by nm786
has anyone got tips on how to write algorithms? because that's the bit i struggle with most. :redface:

Use START and END (for the start of your algorithm to the end of it).

Read the text given and state DECLARE/SET for all the data types you'll need to use (i.e. declare INTEGER myInt or set INTEGER myInt = 1)

When you've got an idea of what you need to do for the algorithm, you'll then want to start using your IF's and foor loops.

For the loops, use something like (as an example):
for Count 1 to 6
input myInt
set total = total + myInt

if total > 20
end
end

OUPUT "total = " + total

In any case, people who mark this exam probably don't have a good working knowledge of programming really, so if it looks professional enough they'll probably award you a good mark anyway.
Reply 37
Use START and END (for the start of your algorithm to the end of it).

Read the text given and state DECLARE/SET for all the data types you'll need to use (i.e. declare INTEGER myInt or set INTEGER myInt = 1)

When you've got an idea of what you need to do for the algorithm, you'll then want to start using your IF's and foor loops.

For the loops, use something like (as an example):
for Count 1 to 6
input myInt
set total = total + myInt

if total > 20
end
end

OUPUT "total = " + total

In any case, people who mark this exam probably don't have a good working knowledge of programming really, so if it looks professional enough they'll probably award you a good mark anyway.

cheers man, this helps a lot! Also when do you use WHILE WEND and REPEAT UNTIL loops?
To be honest I've never seen a past question that uses them, I think IF and COUNT are good enough for most of the questions.
Even so, you can use it for something like:

WHILE i < 10
do this

Reply 39
To be honest I've never seen a past question that uses them, I think IF and COUNT are good enough for most of the questions.
Even so, you can use it for something like:

WHILE i < 10
do this

Alright, thanks man.

EDIT: I wanted to rate your post but it says 'Please Rate Some Other Member'
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending