Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I had a temporary job at Tesco this christmas. I got paid on friday 21st december for my 3 contracted shifts and my induction and I got paid that day £141.56 Now just for my 3 contracted shifts alone I should be paid £50.88 per contracted shift and my induction was paid and I should of roughly got £22 give or take a few pence. So I'm assuming as it was my first job I got emergency taxed. My next pay day should be on 4th january however on the 31st december tesco paid me another £62.97 and I don't know why.
    I've done lots of overtime and should get paid more this friday but my parents seem to think this is all I am getting. Which if it is than my wages are way off because all my earnings added up should be £383.74 give or take a few pennies depending on the sundays I worked, etc.
    Trouble if I have no way of knowing because the crappy place have not issues my pay slip and when I asked I was told they were not ready yet and were going to be posted to us. Well fat lot of good that will do as if my wages are wrong I need to know now for god sake.

I roughly get 6.35 an hour and Im 19 and in full time education so I shouldnt even be getting taxed anyway so I'm aiming to claim tax back as soon as tesco pay be properly.

The hours I've worked are the following including my contracted shifts which ive been paid for (whether it's correct or not is beyond me)

December 7th - 13:00 - 22:00 with an hour and a half unpaid break
    December 21st - 13:00 - 22:00 with an half and a half unpaid break

(my contracted shift on the 14th was holiday as tesco had to give me paid holiday as part of the contract)

Induction should of been roughly £22 as I was there for 3 and a half hours.

Now for Overtime

Sat 15th - 13:00 - 16:30
    Sun 16th 10:00 - 16:00
    Thurs 20th 14:00 - 17:00
    Fri 21st (contracted shift)
    Sat 22nd 11:00 - 16:00 and then 17:00 - 22:00 both shifts with 15 mins paid break
    Sun 23rd 9:00 - 16:00
    Mon 24th 13:30 - 17:00

right thats all of it.
    Can someone please shed light of my situation
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeldaLover)
    Hello
    I had a temporary job at Tesco this christmas. I got paid on friday 21st december for my 3 contracted shifts and my induction and I got paid that day £141.56 Now just for my 3 contracted shifts alone I should be paid £50.88 per contracted shift and my induction was paid and I should of roughly got £22 give or take a few pence. So I'm assuming as it was my first job I got emergency taxed. My next pay day should be on 4th january however on the 31st december tesco paid me another £62.97 and I don't know why.
    I've done lots of overtime and should get paid more this friday but my parents seem to think this is all I am getting. Which if it is than my wages are way off because all my earnings added up should be £383.74 give or take a few pennies depending on the sundays I worked, etc.
    Trouble if I have no way of knowing because the crappy place have not issues my pay slip and when I asked I was told they were not ready yet and were going to be posted to us. Well fat lot of good that will do as if my wages are wrong I need to know now for god sake.

I roughly get 6.35 an hour and Im 19 and in full time education so I shouldnt even be getting taxed anyway so I'm aiming to claim tax back as soon as tesco pay be properly.

The hours I've worked are the following including my contracted shifts which ive been paid for (whether it's correct or not is beyond me)

December 7th - 13:00 - 22:00 with an hour and a half unpaid break
    December 21st - 13:00 - 22:00 with an half and a half unpaid break

(my contracted shift on the 14th was holiday as tesco had to give me paid holiday as part of the contract)

Induction should of been roughly £22 as I was there for 3 and a half hours.

Now for Overtime

Sat 15th - 13:00 - 16:30
    Sun 16th 10:00 - 16:00
    Thurs 20th 14:00 - 17:00
    Fri 21st (contracted shift)
    Sat 22nd 11:00 - 16:00 and then 17:00 - 22:00 both shifts with 15 mins paid break
    Sun 23rd 9:00 - 16:00
    Mon 24th 13:30 - 17:00

right thats all of it.
    Can someone please shed light of my situation
    First of all, you DO have to pay tax regardless of whether you are a student or not. However, as this is your first/only job, you shouldn't be paying emergency tax.

I would go in to your store and speak with someone in HR/Payroll as they will be dealing with wages. You need to make sure that your hours were recorded properly.

You will need to fill in a form to reclaim the emergency tax you paid back from HMRC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    First of all, you DO have to pay tax regardless of whether you are a student or not. However, as this is your first/only job, you shouldn't be paying emergency tax.

I would go in to your store and speak with someone in HR/Payroll as they will be dealing with wages. You need to make sure that your hours were recorded properly.

You will need to fill in a form to reclaim the emergency tax you paid back from HMRC.
    Pretty sure I shouldn't be paying tax because I am a full time student and earn below the minimum annual allowance so any tax paid I will get back at the end of the tax year. And I spoke to another Xmas temp and they got paid too and are waiting to see until Friday.

i am going to wait until Friday because right now there isn't a whole lot that can be done. We shall see. Hell will break lose if I am not correctly paid Friday and I have to wait until next month for my wages.

Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I shouldn't be paying tax because I am a full time student and earn below the minimum annual allowance so any tax paid I will get back at the end of the tax year. And I spoke to another Xmas temp and they got paid too and are waiting to see until Friday.

i am going to wait until Friday because right now there isn't a whole lot that can be done. We shall see. Hell will break lose if I am not correctly paid Friday and I have to wait until next month for my wages.

Thanks for the reply.
    Instead of claiming to know what's going on and not listening, why don't you go to HMRC and read up a little on tax?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/startleave/firstjob.htm

You have a tax free amount for 12/13 which is £8105, this means you can earn up to this amount without paying tax. This is NOT dependent on if you are in education or not, if you earn over the amount you must pay tax.

However, you should not be taxed for the work you have done at Tesco if you do not earn over £8105 in the current tax year. Unfortunately, the way tax is worked out is on a weekly basis so if you earn big amounts in a small time period you are likely to be taxed as HMRC doesn't know individually what you are doing.

In your case (I don't think the above applies but you need to know a little bit about how tax works) I think if the payroll haven't sorted your P46 quick enough you would have been paying emergency tax.

UNTIL you get your payslip however it is all speculation as you need your tax coding to know what is going on. My guess would be it is currently BR = base rate which means you have been taxed at 20% (aka emergency taxed.)

If you do need to reclaim any tax incorrectly paid contact HMRC and because it is in the current financial year you should be able to claim back within 12 weeks.

On another note, you should also read here about National Insurance: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/index.htm

You'll probably also have to pay a bit of NI, again doesn't matter if you are in education.

ReputationRep:
    Better get your facts right next time OP

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I shouldn't be paying tax because I am a full time student and earn below the minimum annual allowance so any tax paid I will get back at the end of the tax year.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Geez you guys don't need to be so darn rude.

ReputationRep:
    Take into account, and don't ignore, the perfectly good advice that someone gives you then.

ReputationRep:
    This has reminded me, I should contact HMRC about reclaiming the tax I had paid when I was under the limit. I never did get it back at the end of the financial year.

ReputationRep:
    Equally enough when asking a question/advice on something from someone who clearly knew more than you don't dismiss it. You only have to make a quick Google search to find out a little about tax, especially that HMRC don't give a damn if you are in education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)

Emergency tax is stupid, why do they do it like that

ReputationRep:
    just so you know no breaks at all are paid with tesco, 3 years service

ReputationRep:
    We were told anything over 15 mins is unpaid and you had to clock out for.

1am here and I'm waiting for my wages to go in.. Got a bad feeling they won't be..

Edit: I've been paid Wages went in at 2am. So from tesco in total they have paid me 326.99 and I will need to sort out my tax with the HMRC because they will owe me 56.75 which I fully plan to claim back as soon as I get my wage slip through the post.

ReputationRep:
    We were told anything over 15 mins is unpaid and you had to clock out for.

1am here and I'm waiting for my wages to go in.. Got a bad feeling they won't be..

Edit: I've been paid Wages went in at 2am. So from tesco in total they have paid me 326.99 and I will need to sort out my tax with the HMRC because they will owe me 56.75 which I fully plan to claim back as soon as I get my wage slip through the post.
    Awesome, you should get it back in no time at all. Just a point of note, it does depend on your bank but some update at 12am some at 2am. Natwest for instance updates between 2-2.15am every night. If you ever need to check if you've been paid again/BACS has gone in that's when it will happen!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.