Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!! :( Student Finance asking for evidence for 'Repeat year of study' Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am repeating second year of my 3 years degree course and I've had no prior funding from Student Finance.

I just got a letter from Student Finance under the heading of "Change of Circumstances for Academic Year 2012/13"

And the letter says

"We have received notification that you need to repeat part of your course.

In most cases students undertaking a repeat period of study are entitled to some funding. You may be entitled to funding if you have to repeat a period of study because your academic performance was affected by special circumstances beyond your control, for example a serious illness.

If you would like to be considered for funding for your repeat study period, please complete the enclosed form and return it to us at the above address.

You will need to provide evidence, as requested on the form, to support why you are repeating part of your course. We will write to you again when we have received this information."

On the form they sent me it also says "The quickest and easiest way to tell us you are repeating study is online."

And "Before we decide what student finance you are entitled to for your repeat period of study, we need a 'Notice of student repeating study' from your university or college telling us about your academic circumstances. Please ask your university or college to notify us about your circumstances as soon as possible."

This letter kinda worries me because I failed my second year and now repeating it but the letter says I have to provide proof for special circumstances. Or is it just because I am repeating the year my circumstances have changed and they need to know why I'm repeating?

I was told that Student Finance funds one degree + 1 extra year (like a safety net if you fail or something) - Any previous years funding from Student finance.

So my degree is three years long and I have no previous funding from Student Finance. So mine is 3+1=4 meaning, I should be alright, but this letter worries me because what if students with special circumstances only are entitled to that extra year. Then that would mean I would run out of funding for my final year.

So please advise me. Or am I just worrying for no reason? :confused:

Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Previous funding makes no difference. All they care about is previous years study.

They just want to know why you're repeating your year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Previous funding makes no difference. All they care about is previous years study.

They just want to know why you're repeating your year.
    Thank you very much for your help.

So they just want to know why I'm repeating the year? I didn't have to be severely ill or in effect of bereavement to get the funding for the repeating year? This letter was a bit ambiguous.

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aero_aspirant)
    Thank you very much for your help.

So they just want to know why I'm repeating the year? I didn't have to be severely ill or in effect of bereavement to get the funding for the repeating year? This letter was a bit ambiguous.

Cheers
    No, you don't have to be ill, etc. That would only be if you'd used up all your years funding and were applying for compelling personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    As OU Student stated, they just want to know why you're repeating the year. You will still get this year. It always works in length of course + 1 minus any previous years studied, so you will be fine.

Here is their official document (PDF) to put your mind at ease.

http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media...6/eligible.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.