Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite scent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a self confessed aftershave freak and am planning to rebuild my previous vast collection this year and beyond. I know what's garnered me compliments in the past but its only recently that I've rediscovered my passions for fragrances and I'm wondering what male fragrances you women like the most, purely out of Interest. Guys, what aftershaves get you the most compliments?

Back in the day for me it was Chanel Allure and CK 1 that got me a ton of compliments and I know that they're both as popular today. What are your favourites?

ReputationRep:
    I really like Armani Code and Paco Rabanne 1 Million, theres others but I can't think of them right now.

I think the key is to not put to much on, I hate over powering smell of aftershave on guys.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but some women have a, well I think it is, "natural" scent that I find really alluring...
    But Cool Water for Women is really nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I don't know, but some women have a, well I think it is, "natural" scent that I find really alluring...
    But Cool Water for Women is really nice
    I think he's talking about guys scents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charcharx)
    I think he's talking about guys scents
    oh herpidy derp. Cool Water for men is great. I get a lot of compliments when I wear it.
    I heard some people get paper similar to the KFC wet tissue thing and dab it on their clothes, and they get a lot of compliments O.O

ReputationRep:
    Paco Robane 1 million

ReputationRep:
    I love pretty much anything by Tom Ford (at least anything I've tried). TF for Men, Black Orchid, Extreme and Grey Vetiver are all more than welcome on my shelf. Extreme seems to get the most positive comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    I love pretty much anything by Tom Ford (at least anything I've tried). TF for Men, Black Orchid, Extreme and Grey Vetiver are all more than welcome on my shelf. Extreme seems to get the most positive comments.
    I can't say that I've smelt much of what Tom Ford has to offer. Even though his fragrance are technically designer, to me if its not sold in boots, super drug or the perfume shop then its practically a niche scent and its only been recently that I've decided to explore niche fragrances or less common ones as I've always found what I needed and liked from the likes of Gucci, Chanel, Hugo Boss and Issey Miyake etc but ill definitely check his stuff out.

I'm not surprised that a few of you have mentioned 1 million, its certainly a distinctive fragrance that's for sure. As to whether I personally like it, the answer leans more towards no as it reminds me of a sweet shop and doesn't seem right on a person but it seems that I'm really the only one with that opinion on it. Cool water is extremely nice though. I'm just about to go and blind buy diesel plus plus masculine, has anyone smelt that and if so what do you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I love Miracle by Lancôme. It smells absolutely beautiful. However, it's a little pricey (for me, anyway) at £50 for a small bottle.

Recently, however, I've discovered that The Body Shop do really nice fruit-scented body spritzers for £7-9 a bottle. I love the Mango and Grapefruit ones. They last ages (a good few months) as you only need about two spritzes to create a long lasting scent! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Creed Aventus & YSL La nuit de l'homme are the ones which I've received the most compliments on and the ones that I find the best smelling. They're both pricey though - especially Aventus. Another one which is great (although not quite as good) is Thierry Mugler's A* men series.

Armani Code was good before but it's too overused now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Creed Aventus & YSL La nuit de l'homme are the ones which I've received the most compliments on and the ones that I find the best smelling. They're both pricey though - especially Aventus. Another one which is great (although not quite as good) is Thierry Mugler's A* men series.

Armani Code was good before but it's too overused now.
    All good fragrances there. I would add to my previous list Hugo Boss Hugo, the clear liquid bottle one. Back when I was about 14/15 I used to wear that a lot and got a lot of compliments when wearing tht and I personally thought and still think that it's a gorgeous smell.

Has anyone worn Terre D Hermes? I absolutely love the smell of it having tested it in Debenhams but haven't bought a bottle just yet and whilst I buy fragrances based on what I think of the smell and nt what other people do, it's still nice to know that a fragrance I'm wearing is well received so if anyone has any experience with wearing Terre D Hermes that would be great if you could share it.

ReputationRep:
    Marc Jacobs Bang and Bang Bang are so underrated. Bleu de Chanel is lush too. I think for night, scents like Joop Homme Wild are good and for the day, Diesel Only the Brave/Tattoo is nice.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad uses Hugo Boss Number One and it's really nice!
    My cousin and guyfriend use Jean Paul Gaultier Fragrances. I don't know which exact ones, but they stick to the old ones. Love giving my mate a nice hug LoL!

It constantly changes but, currently, Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle and Diptyque by Philosykos.

ReputationRep:
      Sex panther! 60% of the time it works every time!
      (it's got real panther bits inside)

Sorry I just had to...

ReputationRep:
      If it's compliments you're after, Chanel is a house which nails it pretty much every time when it comes to well blended, good quality, pleasing scents.

You can't go wrong with either: Blue de Chanel, Allure, Allure Homme Sport, Edition Blanche. I personally have Blue de Chanel and I'm looking at picking up a bottle of Allure and Sport very soon. Cannot say I've encountered anyone who does not like them. Good versatile scents too, can wear them with a suit to a formal occasion / uni / work / casual situations. Cannot go wrong.

Dior Homme Sport is another you should try. A very nice ginger scent. [I'm not quite sure why this or Chanel Homme Sport are actually called 'Sport' - they are not aqautics and do not smell 'sporty' at all. They fit better in formal settings, if anything].

Rochas Man is another beatiful sweet scent. Smells like shea butter. Lots of compliments with this.

I've heard lots of good things about Creed and Tom Ford [as mentioned above] but unfortunately do not have any stores nearby which stock the stuff. Certainly something I want to try soon.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by russellsteapot)
      I second you on that. The women's range is great too

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rainy)
      It constantly changes but, currently, Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle and Diptyque by Philosykos.
      I've read a lot of positive things about Musc Ravageur and am considering blind buying it but it is a but pricey. Considering that I like more distinct fragrances like Allure, D and G the one and dislike stuff like Dior Farhenheit and most bland aquatics on the market, would you recommend me going for it and buying Musc Ravageur? Also, while I don't buy fragrances to please other people, its still nice to know that other people think you smell nice. How was the reaction been to you wearing MR or indeed any other obscure, niche fragrances?

ReputationRep:
      The undisputed best fragrance I have ever worn, perfect for day or evening, is the Tiffany for Men Sport. It's by the same perfumer who now heads Chanel's fragrances (his Allure Homme Sport cologne was an earlier favourite of mine).

I also enjoy the fine fragrances by Penhaligon's, they have a refreshing juniper scent and some lovely citrus fragrances which are beautifully balanced.

ReputationRep:
      I love 212 sexy by carolina herrera and the men's Armani code too. If my bf wore those I would eat him up!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.