Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to talk about getting a pair of lovebirds with my parents as a number of my friends really recommend them as pets, but the discussion never seems to go further than "they're too noisy" or "you won't get any sleep". If they're super loud then that's fair, but are they more manageable than I'm being told?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie.sixjs)
    I've been trying to talk about getting a pair of lovebirds with my parents as a number of my friends really recommend them as pets, but the discussion never seems to go further than "they're too noisy" or "you won't get any sleep". If they're super loud then that's fair, but are they more manageable than I'm being told?
    Two birds kept me awake for 2hours yesterday, Don't get them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CL77xgPyKM So damn annoying when you are trying to get to sleep!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're always moaning. Need to get back in the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    They wake me up everyday of the summer
    Sometimes, I wish I have a gun nearby

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow I'm surprised they're so popular pets when they're so noisy haha. What sorts of birds does everyone have them? During the day noise is easier to cope with so maybe a non-nocturnal species wouldn't be too bad?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow I'm surprised they're so popular pets when they're so noisy haha. What sorts of birds does everyone have them? During the day noise is easier to cope with so maybe a non-nocturnal species wouldn't be too bad?
    None of the replies so far are serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galacticfear)
    None of the replies so far are serious.
    Mines quite a serious issue, I have to revise and getting a lack of sleep affects the balance, the birds have negative externalities.

ReputationRep:
    I have lovebirds and budgies.
    If you haven't had them before you will initially notice then chirping, singing to you/ each other, but it isn't loud enough to bother you, after a few weeks you will barely even notice it.
    I highly recommend them as pets! so playful friendly and cute

ReputationRep:
    I get woken up by the birds outside my house and outside my parents house all the time.

Keeping birds in cages seems really ****ing lame. Boring, noisy pets and just... Caging something like that seems wrong.

I mean things like lizards and spiders just sit all day anyway, and cats you can leave to do whatever they want. But birds? fukdat.

ReputationRep:
    At my best friend's house, there's a bird in a cage right next to the TV. It's about 5ft from me at the moment.

It keeps staring at me and squawking :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you thought about the external costs to neighbours before getting a bird? You might have neighbours come front and confront you on the issue, and tell you too do something about it as it effects productivity and levels of happiness, sleep is a big part of that. Lol I've being doing too much economics herp derp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Haven't you thought about the external costs to neighbours before getting a bird? You might have neighbours come front and confront you on the issue, and tell you too do something about it as it effects productivity and levels of happiness, sleep is a big part of that. Lol I've being doing too much economics herp derp.
    But with self-interest you would not care about the impact it would have on neighbours unless there is a serious repercussion that outweighs the enjoyment you get from keeping said bird. And yes, every time I see a post from you it is economics related, revise something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galacticfear)
    But with self-interest you would not care about the impact it would have on neighbours unless there is a serious repercussion that outweighs the enjoyment you get from keeping said bird. And yes, every time I see a post from you it is economics related, revise something else.
    I do maths and history also, not really related to some scenarios on threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    I do maths and history also, not really related to some scenarios on threads.
    I am sure you could find some tenuous links for variety

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to have two cockatiels and the male one was really loud. I remember ringing home on my break in college once and a few people in my class were wondering if there was a bird trapped somewhere as they could hear him tweeting from my phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not natural keep a bird cooped up in a cage.

ReputationRep:
    Birds are noisey, lovebirds less so than most parrots.

Summer will be hard, they flock call at dawn and dusk which can be really irritating. Love birds have a nicer chatter compared to many other birds. Personally, I'd say get one if you want to bond with it, as long as you interact with it often it will see you as it's flock and be happy. Hurrah.

I'm a bit of an Avian nerd, feel free to pm me for more info on bird types, the care they need and what comes hand in hand with it. Such as noise, cost, mess, etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    depends on the type of bird, and even the type of lovebird. normal peach faced lovebirds can be quite noisy - but they're small birds, so it's not loud enough to wake the neighbours.

Sent from my GT-S5363

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.