The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE lit 9th jan 2013

Hi Guys im taking this exam and was just wondering if anyone else was and how your revising :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
check out my revision videos which are largely based on that exam: youtube.com/mrbruff

Also I have written a free ebook to accompany the videos: http://www.mrbruff.com/counter.php
Reply 2
looks amazing :smile: shame there isnt anything on any of the texts im studying
Reply 3
Currently, Im reading the books again (Im doing AN INSPECTOR CALLS and OF MICE AND MEN). I would like to have read them three times before the exam (currently on my third read). Im also looking over characters profiles i have constructed during lessons with key quotes and scenes and Im reading/memorising themes and symbols from each of the books (mainly for INSPECTOR CALLS). Finally, I have been doing short essay plans based on past papers and other questions i have found and marking them with the mark schemes based on what they say should be the main points. In all honesty, i haven't done masses of revision but i would definitely make sure you've read the books at least twice, you've looked over themes and character profiles and read exemplar essays and past papers and finally before you go into the exam (in the morning as it is a PM exam) read pieces of essays/character profiles/themes that apply to many questions. For example, if you get given a question on working life you could mention, isolation, prejudice, friendships and even dreams and go into detail with characters you know the most about (you could mention: George or Lennie, Slim, Candy or Crooks). It really doesn't matter if what you say doesn't strictly adhere to the question, just make 4/5 good quality points using point evidence explain (PEE) and try to link them to the question. Lots of ignorant people would say to only use points that always answer the question but when your in an exam of this length you don't have time to craft the perfect essay and the examiners know this. My gran who marks AQA English Literature and Language A-level and GCSE exams has told me, and several in her old class to write what we know the most about because examiners will give you more marks for detailed and broad knowledge of the text than underdeveloped answers that don't show a wide level of knowledge. If you dont have any of these then just google them, there are several great resources. Good luck next week
Reply 4
Original post by grammar12
Currently, Im reading the books again (Im doing AN INSPECTOR CALLS and OF MICE AND MEN)

hi im doing to kill a mockingbird and inspector calls . im also rereading them but only for the second time :s-smilie: . English is so hard to revise for
Reply 5
Original post by social outcast
hi im doing to kill a mockingbird and inspector calls . im also rereading them but only for the second time :s-smilie: . English is so hard to revise for

It's not difficult to revise for, you just need to read through all your notes and maybe find some extra stuff, read the books a few times and then have a go at some past questions. Just be confident and I'm sure you'll do fine! My sister got an A* in her literature exam and she hadn't read one of the books before. She just watched the movie 3 times (great for of mice and men but An inspector calls has been changed in the movie version so I wouldn't recommend it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
hi
im doing the sunlight on the grass anthology and of mice and men.
i am currently revising using Mr Bruff's youtube channel and it is amazing.. you should try it too. i am making mindmaps whilst watching it using pointers such as characters, themes, symbolism and writers technique. thats what they look for in the exam, the HOW part is basically the writers technique...

so does anyone else have a different technique of revising that could help me ..
Advice from someone who got full marks in both of the exams:

This is how you ace the exam

Lets say you're making a point whether its 100% true or not the examiner doesn't care if you can back it up. I always follow this structure

point: some kind of technique, lets relate it to mrs birling

evidence: This is evident through ..

explain: 'This clearly illustrates (her patronising attitude towards x y z).

elaborate: The verb//adjective//whatever, reinforces ...
Priestley uses this effectively to highlight..
It connotes ..
This 'verb/adj' has a underlying tone which emphasises ...

summarise para: This reflects her selfish and egotistical views towards the rest of society ..
Reply 8
Original post by letsbehonest

Lets say you're making a point whether its 100% true or not the examiner doesn't care if you can back it up. I always follow this structure

It connotes ..

summarise para: This reflects her selfish and egotistical views towards the rest of society ..

thanks you thats really helpful:smile: get nervous now :s-smilie:
Original post by social outcast
thanks you thats really helpful:smile: get nervous now :s-smilie:

You will be fine. Just have a few points for each character ready and solid paragraph structure. Making a general comment on the quote and then really zooming in into one word is what the examiner wants. This makes your analysis focused.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
You will be fine. Just have a few points for each character ready and solid paragraph structure. Making a general comment on the quote and then really zooming in into one word is what the examiner wants. This makes your analysis focused.

thanks your advice is really helpful:smile:

It connotes ..

Do you follow this structure for Section B as well as I am studying Of Mice and Men. If not what is the best structure for it?
Original post by ElliottTong
Do you follow this structure for Section B as well as I am studying Of Mice and Men. If not what is the best structure for it?

Yup!

Depending on the question, just adapt slightly.
Yup!

Depending on the question, just adapt slightly.

Cheers have you any good tips?
Reply 14
My teacher said to memorise a paragraph or two and adapt it to answer the question, it's worked for all her other classes where everyone got a's and a*'s then add specific quotes and do some new paragraphs but don't spend more than 5 mins in planning and never more than 40 writing either section a or b and allow thinking time

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing an exam not a controlled assessment, so I won't know the question?
Original post by ElliottTong
Cheers have you any good tips?

Before you start - jot down a few bullet points. Do not spend more than 5 mins on this.

Maintain the same structure throughout.

Make the points snappy. Keep them short.

If your point is waffley, the examiner won't really be interested.

Do not search for specific quotes, if you can't find it replace it with something else.

I remember being stuck for quotes in the exam, so if you can't find quotes from the specific character, use a quote from someone else and explain how this shows xyz's position in the social hierachy, how he/she is treated, how much authority she/he has, how lonely she is, how clever she is.

Goodluck!!
Before you start - jot down a few bullet points. Do not spend more than 5 mins on this.

Maintain the same structure throughout.

Make the points snappy. Keep them short.

If your point is waffley, the examiner won't really be interested.

Do not search for specific quotes, if you can't find it replace it with something else.

I remember being stuck for quotes in the exam, so if you can't find quotes from the specific character, use a quote from someone else and explain how this shows xyz's position in the social hierachy, how he/she is treated, how much authority she/he has, how lonely she is, how clever she is.

Goodluck!!

cheers
Has anyone got any predictions on what the questions for inspector calls could be as my teacher believed that Of Mice And Men could be on crooks or the fight scene
Reply 19
i hope the of mice and men is on curleys wife because she seems to be an easier topic to talk about i.e. red colour=danger, sexism, inequality, loneliness,etc
if anyone is doing the sunlight on the grass anthology, how do you answer the questions asking about writers technique and how they present characters/narrators?

Quick Reply

Latest