The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE lit 9th jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thank you! :smile: one last thing...sorry for all the questions :wink: do you know how many UMS marks 40/50 is worth for my chemistry ISA? I know it's an A, which tbh I'm disappointed with, but I'm trying to work out how many UMS I need to get in unit 1 and 3 to obtain an A* overall?

i appreciate your help,

thanks again :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Grammar
Thank you! :smile: one last thing...sorry for all the questions :wink: do you know how many UMS marks 40/50 is worth for my chemistry ISA? I know it's an A, which tbh I'm disappointed with, but I'm trying to work out how many UMS I need to get in unit 1 and 3 to obtain an A* overall?

i appreciate your help,

thanks again :smile:

40/50 is an A* (just), you could ask to resit the ISA. I think its in the range of 88-92 ums. I got, 86, 84, 100 in my exams and i need to get 90 ums in the final exam for an A* overall. I have never got an a* in a science exam so im worried!
Reply 42
Okay, thanks :smile: can anyone, who did the relationships cluster for GCSE english lit in January, tell me what poem was mentioned please? Thaaaanks :smile:
Original post by grammar12
How did everyone do? I scored 80/80!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your amazing result!!!

I'm sitting this paper this June, so I'm hoping you could help me a little. The only character I've thoroughly revised for in OFAM is Crooks. Was hoping he would come up in the June exam, but just realised he came up in Jan, agh!!! Oh well, what was the extract referring to - the description of his room?

Plus do you think that there could be a setting question in June, like the water hole?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by TheWantedGuy
Congrats on your amazing result!!!

I'm sitting this paper this June, so I'm hoping you could help me a little. The only character I've thoroughly revised for in OFAM is Crooks. Was hoping he would come up in the June exam, but just realised he came up in Jan, agh!!! Oh well, what was the extract referring to - the description of his room?

Plus do you think that there could be a setting question in June, like the water hole?

Setting questions are improbable, I would recommend thoroughly revising themes and motifs and then every character in enough detail to make some key points on the way they are presented and how they contribute to whatever the question is asking you. Another thing that is really important is detailed analysis, don't focus on many areas. In the jan paper, it asked you how crooks was presented in the extract. Instead of making general comments such as "he is portrayed as an extremely solitary person, who has little in the way of friends, yet many possessions" i wrote something along the lines of "In the extract, Crooks is displayed as an extremely lonely and solitary character. He is described as having a "mauled copy of the California civil code", this not only alludes to his passion for reading, but also enforces the idea that he is passionate about furthering his self worth through education. The "California civil code" is also crucial at commenting on his treatment throughout the novella, he is widely discriminated against by almost everybody on the farm and requires this "civil code" to ensure that he knows his rights. (Insert historical note about treatment of blacks)"

That is extremely rough and not excellently developed but i'm sure you get what I mean. Multiple level analysis impresses the examiners so use some of that. They also love historical context, exploration of ideas though creative responses, comments on narratives, structure and form and several other elements.

IF CROOKS COMES UP, USE THIS " CROOKS' SOLITARY NATURE IS TINTED WITH HOPE AND DESPERATION. WHEN LENNIE ENTERS HIS ROOM, HE PRETENDS THAT HE DOESN'T WANT HIM TO STICK AROUND, THIS IS ENFORCES BY THE QUOTE "INSERT QUOTE". HIS SOLITARY NATURE IS ALSO PROVEN BY THE WAY THAT HE IS INITIALLY PRESENTED, EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER IN THE BOOK IS PRESENTED AND DESCRIBED THROUGH THE NARRATIVES OF OTHER CHARACTERS. CROOKS HOWEVER, IS NOT. HE IS DESCRIBED IN THE THIRD PERSON USING THE VOICE OF THE NARRATOR, THIS PROVES HIS ISOLATION AS NOBODY ELSE ON THE FARM KNOWS ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO DESCRIBE HIM."

When I got my script back a few weeks ago, the examiner circled the paragraph and wrote exemplar response next to it. she also did a lovely smiley face :smile:

I have some revision materials for both books, if you mail me, i'd be happy to send them to you via email.

Im now studying Macbeth and Animal farm, these are slightly harder than my jan exams so i don't think i will do as well. What books did you study in january?
Setting questions are improbable, I would recommend thoroughly revising themes and motifs and then every character in enough detail to make some key points on the way they are presented and how they contribute to whatever the question is asking you. Another thing that is really important is detailed analysis, don't focus on many areas. In the jan paper, it asked you how crooks was presented in the extract. Instead of making general comments such as "he is portrayed as an extremely solitary person, who has little in the way of friends, yet many possessions" i wrote something along the lines of "In the extract, Crooks is displayed as an extremely lonely and solitary character. He is described as having a "mauled copy of the California civil code", this not only alludes to his passion for reading, but also enforces the idea that he is passionate about furthering his self worth through education. The "California civil code" is also crucial at commenting on his treatment throughout the novella, he is widely discriminated against by almost everybody on the farm and requires this "civil code" to ensure that he knows his rights. (Insert historical note about treatment of blacks)"

That is extremely rough and not excellently developed but i'm sure you get what I mean. Multiple level analysis impresses the examiners so use some of that. They also love historical context, exploration of ideas though creative responses, comments on narratives, structure and form and several other elements.

IF CROOKS COMES UP, USE THIS " CROOKS' SOLITARY NATURE IS TINTED WITH HOPE AND DESPERATION. WHEN LENNIE ENTERS HIS ROOM, HE PRETENDS THAT HE DOESN'T WANT HIM TO STICK AROUND, THIS IS ENFORCES BY THE QUOTE "INSERT QUOTE". HIS SOLITARY NATURE IS ALSO PROVEN BY THE WAY THAT HE IS INITIALLY PRESENTED, EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER IN THE BOOK IS PRESENTED AND DESCRIBED THROUGH THE NARRATIVES OF OTHER CHARACTERS. CROOKS HOWEVER, IS NOT. HE IS DESCRIBED IN THE THIRD PERSON USING THE VOICE OF THE NARRATOR, THIS PROVES HIS ISOLATION AS NOBODY ELSE ON THE FARM KNOWS ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO DESCRIBE HIM."

When I got my script back a few weeks ago, the examiner circled the paragraph and wrote exemplar response next to it. she also did a lovely smiley face :smile:

I have some revision materials for both books, if you mail me, i'd be happy to send them to you via email.

Im now studying Macbeth and Animal farm, these are slightly harder than my jan exams so i don't think i will do as well. What books did you study in january?

Wow thanks so much for the very detailed and helpful advice. Much appreciation!

The reason I was thinking it would be of worth to revise settings is that there hasn’t been a settings question since the ‘inhabitants of the bunkhouse’ question a couple years back.

Your exemplar paragraph is ridiculously good: it’s no wonder the examiner circled it! Do you think you would be able to have a look at one of my paragraphs and let me know where I could improve and hopefully get that A*? I will mail it to you if that’s okay, and I would really appreciate the revision material if you wouldn’t mind I’ve been trying to find some good material for a while but just haven’t had any luck!!

I’m studying Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls with the exam in May. You're studying Macbeth and Animal Farm for AS Level, I assume?
Reply 46
Wow thanks so much for the very detailed and helpful advice. Much appreciation!

The reason I was thinking it would be of worth to revise settings is that there hasn’t been a settings question since the ‘inhabitants of the bunkhouse’ question a couple years back.

Your exemplar paragraph is ridiculously good: it’s no wonder the examiner circled it! Do you think you would be able to have a look at one of my paragraphs and let me know where I could improve and hopefully get that A*? I will mail it to you if that’s okay, and I would really appreciate the revision material if you wouldn’t mind I’ve been trying to find some good material for a while but just haven’t had any luck!!

I’m studying Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls with the exam in May. You're studying Macbeth and Animal Farm for AS Level, I assume?

I'm sitting the exam for Macbeth and Animal farm for the second part of my GCSE english. Yep, if you mail me, i will sort out all the revision material for you and I'll go through some essays if you like. What books did you take for the exam in january?
I'm sitting the exam for Macbeth and Animal farm for the second part of my GCSE english. Yep, if you mail me, i will sort out all the revision material for you and I'll go through some essays if you like. What books did you take for the exam in january?

Mailed you :tongue:

How come you're doing another exam with 2 books? I haven't taken any English Lit exams yet, but I'm going to be doing both the 1 on 'Of Mice and Men' and 'An Inspector Calls', and the anthology exam in May.
Reply 48
Mailed you :tongue:

How come you're doing another exam with 2 books? I haven't taken any English Lit exams yet, but I'm going to be doing both the 1 on 'Of Mice and Men' and 'An Inspector Calls', and the anthology exam in May.

I think we may be doing a different spec, there is spec A and spec B. What exam board are you on?
Reply 49
I'm not doing the foundation paper for my english lit exam this year, but does anyone know what came up on the Of Mice and Men questions and on An Inspector Calls section please? I think there might be a pattern of the things they ask in foundation, then later on they ask on higher..thanks
man, who else is dreading the exam!!!!!

i am doing OMAM and AIC, my battle plan for revision is:

AIC: - revise all characters - change from beginning to end, themes and general characterisitcs
- revise the main histroy behind the plot - written in a time of social change

OMAM: - revise all characters - characteristics, relationships and the attitudes towards eachother
- revise the histroical stuff (should be common sense though - blacks were discriminated, little to no education, lack of jobs etc)
- revise the theme of whatever it is ( i have no clue as to what the main theme of the book is, no notes were made on this!!!!!)

what else should i revise for the OMAM???? any help would be much obliged, as well as any feedback towards what i am revising eg i should more of x and less of y

thanks very much

tazza :-)
I think we may be doing a different spec, there is spec A and spec B. What exam board are you on?

My English Lang and Lit is with AQA. I assume you're with AQA too, how many exams do you have for Literature?
Reply 52
My English Lang and Lit is with AQA. I assume you're with AQA too, how many exams do you have for Literature?

Im AQA too but i think we're a different spec, it doesnt matter though, everything is the same, I just have less coursework more exam :smile:
Reply 53
Hi does anyone know what the Lord of the Flies questions were from the January 2013 paper?
Reply 54
Original post by Grammar
I'm not doing the foundation paper for my english lit exam this year, but does anyone know what came up on the Of Mice and Men questions and on An Inspector Calls section please? I think there might be a pattern of the things they ask in foundation, then later on they ask on higher..thanks

I've found the question paper and mark scheme for January 2013, hope it helps you :smile: We're doing Lord of The Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird this summer.
Reply 55
Original post by bumbledore
I've found the question paper and mark scheme for January 2013, hope it helps you :smile: We're doing Lord of The Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird this summer.

Thanks exactly what I was looking for! Good luck with your summer exams :smile:
Reply 56

Wow! Tha's fantastic. How did you get such an amazing score? I am really struggling with the Crucible and OMAM.
Reply 57
[QUOTE="chatty;42246178"]

Wow! Tha's fantastic. How did you get such an amazing score? I am really struggling with the Crucible and OMAM.

I didn't study crucible, however I did study OMAM. If you read my posts on here, there is loads of tips and stuff
Reply 58
Thanks I did read the postings earlier.
do you think you have files like that for the january 2013 exam on unit 2 aswell?

Quick Reply

Latest