Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    a test tube holding the equilibrium system shown below was placed in a beaker of ice and the colour of the solution changed from blue to pink

[Co(H2O)6]2+ + 4HCl <----> [CoCl4]2- + 6H2O

pink blue

On heating, the solution turned blue, using these observation, state whether the forward reaction is exothermic or endothermic,

I said the answer would be exothermic since the the solution turning pink means the equilibrium position moved to the left

but the answer is that increasing the temp causes the equilibrium to move to the right; the forward reaction is endothermic.

so i have obviously misunderstood everything completely wrong

PLEASE HELP!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BuuTuu)
    a test tube holding the equilibrium system shown below was placed in a beaker of ice and the colour of the solution changed from blue to pink

[Co(H2O)6]2+ + 4HCl <----> [CoCl4]2- + 6H2O

pink blue

On heating, the solution turned blue, using these observation, state whether the forward reaction is exothermic or endothermic,

I said the answer would be exothermic since the the solution turning pink means the equilibrium position moved to the left

but the answer is that increasing the temp causes the equilibrium to move to the right; the forward reaction is endothermic.

so i have obviously misunderstood everything completely wrong

PLEASE HELP!!!
    It soulds like you have the logic correct, but don't appreciate that endothermic reactions absorb heat energy and proceed more when heated.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but if it was an endothermic reaction, on heating shouldn't the solution stay blue as the forward reaction would increase and more CoCl4 would be produced??
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BuuTuu)
    Yes but if it was an endothermic reaction, on heating shouldn't the solution stay blue as the forward reaction would increase and more CoCl4 would be produced??
    Co(aq)2+ ... pink
    [CoCl4]2- ... blue

If the forward reaction is endothermic than increase of temperature will push the equilibrium towards the products.

If the products are blue then the pink solution turns blue.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh I read the colours wrongg, I'm so dumb x_x thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.