Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I do? He won't stop texting! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I met this guy.. and I'm supposed to be seeing him in a month or so. However, the more I've gotten to know him, the more I have been put off him. He doesn't ever eat home cooked meals. He admitted he spends around £80 a week on pizza, he has the chinese takeaway on speeddial.

He bought a new iphone just because I did, and i explained how I found a really good deal for £12.90 with unlimited data and he said oh I can't be bothered changing mine , whatever, it's only £51 a month" :confused:

His sleep schedule is so off kilt that he sleeps for hours whilst he's at work and his boss is on a job, and then rushes his jobs in time for when his boss comes back.

As soon as he finishes work he goes without fail every night to his friends house and they work on cars until late at night.

The problem is, the more I'm finding out these things, the more put off I am, the less I want to talk to him. But he texts me NON STOP. He probably texts me about 200 times a day, sometimes even if I don't reply. It's relentless, yesterday he text me ten different times and each time I didn't reply but he kept on texting me. He then texts me things like " think I'll try cook tonight" or "I think I'll get an early night" to try and impress me that he's getting out of his habits when he really isn't, and I see him on twitter later on etc.

How do I handle this, how do I stop him from texting me? I've tried telling him before I can't handle texting so much and he says things like " okay I will leave you alone for a few hours" which to me is really controlling! And then he replied back after an hour or so.

Help, I would change my number but I've literally just got a new phone and given my new number out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    So I met this guy.. and I'm supposed to be seeing him in a month or so. However, the more I've gotten to know him, the more I have been put off him. He doesn't ever eat home cooked meals. He admitted he spends around £80 a week on pizza, he has the chinese takeaway on speeddial.

He bought a new iphone just because I did, and i explained how I found a really good deal for £12.90 with unlimited data and he said oh I can't be bothered changing mine , whatever, it's only £51 a month" :confused:

His sleep schedule is so off kilt that he sleeps for hours whilst he's at work and his boss is on a job, and then rushes his jobs in time for when his boss comes back.

As soon as he finishes work he goes without fail every night to his friends house and they work on cars until late at night.

The problem is, the more I'm finding out these things, the more put off I am, the less I want to talk to him. But he texts me NON STOP. He probably texts me about 200 times a day, sometimes even if I don't reply. It's relentless, yesterday he text me ten different times and each time I didn't reply but he kept on texting me. He then texts me things like " think I'll try cook tonight" or "I think I'll get an early night" to try and impress me that he's getting out of his habits when he really won't be.

How do I handle this, how do I stop him from texting me? I've tried telling him before I can't handle texting so much and he says things like " okay I will leave you alone for a few hours" which to me is really controlling! And then he replied back after an hour or so.

Help, I would change my number but I've literally just got a new phone and given my new number out
    If you're not interested, you need to tell him that. If you've said you don't like him texting so much, to him that will mean you are interested, but don't want him to text so much. That doesn't mean 'I'm not interested, please leave me alone'.

He's not a mind reader, just tell him to leave you alone.

ReputationRep:
    Honesty. Is the best policy, he won't know unless you tell him. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    If you're not interested, you need to tell him that. If you've said you don't like him texting so much, to him that will mean you are interested, but don't want him to text so much. That doesn't mean 'I'm not interested, please leave me alone'.

He's not a mind reader, just tell him to leave you alone.

(Original post by Future African game vet)
    Honesty. Is the best policy, he won't know unless you tell him. X
    But surely if I'm not replying to all of his texts he would understand? He's never said "I like you" or anything along those lines, no signs of liking me, nothing flirtatious or anything, I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    But surely if I'm not replying to all of his texts he would understand? He's never said "I like you" or anything along those lines, no signs of liking me, nothing flirtatious or anything, I don't get it.
    No he might not understand. You have to be explicit with these things. There's no telling what he might read into you just replying to a text. Just like I wouldn't think that someone didn't like me because they didn't reply to a text, whereas you obviously would. Talk to him, tell him you're not interested and that you'd appreciate if he stopped texting you all the time.

ReputationRep:
    200 texts a day

JEEZUS

Tell him to sod off.

ReputationRep:
    200 a day??!?!?!?!

you need to be FIRM but nice, and just say you're not interested/circumstances have changed, and he should stop sending texts.

Call him, when he says "what's up?" say "your time talking to me" then hang up, put him on the blacklist then install dropSMS and put him on that too
      • Community Assistant
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

The problem is, the more I'm finding out these things, the more put off I am, the less I want to talk to him. But he texts me NON STOP. He probably texts me about 200 times a day, sometimes even if I don't reply. It's relentless, yesterday he text me ten different times and each time I didn't reply but he kept on texting me. He then texts me things like " think I'll try cook tonight" or "I think I'll get an early night" to try and impress me that he's getting out of his habits when he really isn't, and I see him on twitter later on etc.

Can't you block phone numbers? You service provider should be able to advise you on this or you could do some googling.

ReputationRep:
      Until you mentioned he had a job I thought you were describing one of my friends there for a second haha

ReputationRep:
      Tell him you're not interested in him as a friend or anything more and to please stop contacting you.
      If he doesn't then call your service provider.

Also, where did you get an iphone for £12.90 (a month presumably?)?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      Call him, when he says "what's up?" say "your time talking to me" then hang up, put him on the blacklist then install dropSMS and put him on that too
      Just looked up dropSMS, I wish I could but its for Android phones I'm looking for a similar app, thanks

(Original post by k9markiii)
      Can't you block phone numbers? You service provider should be able to advise you on this or you could do some googling.
      Nope you can't

(Original post by Persephone9)
      Tell him you're not interested in him as a friend or anything more and to please stop contacting you.
      If he doesn't then call your service provider.

Also, where did you get an iphone for £12.90 (a month presumably?)?
      I paid for it outright with christmas money and money I had saved up, and then got Three's 30 day rolling contract with 200 minutes 5000 texts and unlimited data, with the first month half price.

ReputationRep:
      Telling him is the only way, hopefully then he'll get the picture. But if he's one of those who thinks bombarding you until you cave in will somehow make you fall in love with him, then you'll need to get your number changed.

ReputationRep:
      While I have never been popular enough to be bombarded with texts I can never understand why people find it such a problem? Surely if you just never ever ever ever ever replied and didn't ever ever ever see or contact him again then he would just give up?

ReputationRep:
      He sounds crazy. How can he think it's ok to send that many texts!? The longer it goes on, the worse it will get.

You really need to tell him you're not interested. I think that would be the only way to get through to him.

ReputationRep:
      Sounds a bit exaggerated on your part to be quite honest. And you sound quite stuck up.

Just tell him to stop.

ReputationRep:
      I think you've either got to make a decision to speak to him as much as you are doing now, or to not speak to him at all. I don't think you can have a middle ground here.

If you've gone off him, then it's only fair to both of you to say firmly (and expressed better than I am about to): "look, I'm not interested in you, please stop texting me."

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ToastyCoke)
      Sounds a bit exaggerated on your part to be quite honest. And you sound quite stuck up.

Just tell him to stop.
      How is it stuck up? Some girls might find all of that attractive - the OP clearly doesn't, I wouldn't. You can't help who or what you're attracted to and it's not stuck up to not be attracted someone because of their lifestyle choices.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S.R)
      While I have never been popular enough to be bombarded with texts I can never understand why people find it such a problem? Surely if you just never ever ever ever ever replied and didn't ever ever ever see or contact him again then he would just give up?
      It's a problem because some people don't want to be contacted all the time. It doesn't always matter if you don't reply either - some people will just keep on texting you.

ReputationRep:
      Time to stop tiptoeing around the issue. Send him a text saying "the more I have got to know you, the more I realise I want nothing to do with you. Please stop contacting me." Then ignore him. Block him on social networking sites. Give him a bit of time to get the message. If he continues, then its harrassment and you could get the police involved if you wanted.

Networks won't block individual numbers, but you could get iBlacklist http://www.iblacklist.com.br/

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.