Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! My exam's on the 10th of Jan if there's anyone else here retaking/doing for the first time? Does anyone have the INSERT SOURCE BOOKLET for any of the past papers? They're subject to copyright according to the AQA website and I can't find any other ones besides jan2011 and jun2011

Also, anyone who has done well got any tips? D: Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I am taking it on the 10th as well for the first time but yeah I had the issue with the past paper inserts as well..but then I started googling and if you google the titles of the inserts with 'gcse language' then they come up on lots of different websites they aren't on the aqa website though.. Hope this helps

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I also have this exam but english is not hard tbh, just learn how to answer questions on bitesize or in a revision book and learn vocabulary

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking English Language too. Here's the basic paragraph structure I'mma use for the reading questions if you're interested -

Question 1 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    1st paragraph - Overview of key points/concerns in the article (no quote needed). Concluding sentence of articles opinion.
    3 mini paragraphs - One of the previously listed concerns/points for each paragraph. Quotation and perceptive interpretation - use cross referencing if a similar point is repeated in the article.
    4th paragraph (conditional) - Highlight the counter-argument and interpret if there is one. Needs a perceptive overview.

Question 2 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    Two paragraphs.
    Focus on two main presentation devices, eg header, image, font, text shape - must be significant to the article.
    Try to make sections equal length. Quote from the text to link devices and use descriptive language (imagine the examiner is blind)!

Question 3 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    1st paragraph - Concise overview of the writers feelings, include some quotes and a short interpretive, concluding sentence.
    4 mini paragraphs - PEEL. Clear point, quote evidence, interpretive explanation, expand on interpretation and analysis of language using sophisticated vocab and requoting.

Question 4 - 16 marks, 24 minutes.
    REMEMBER FLAP - Form, language, audience, presentational devices
    Paragraph 1 - State purpose/form/tone for both texts.
    Paragraph 2 - Narative viewpoint for both texts and impact that has on the read alongside the tone is reveals. Include quptes with interpretation of what effect this has.
    Paragraph 3 - Focus on devices! Eg - imagery,rhetorical, semantic fields, use of statistics, repetition). Use quotes and interpretation of effect on the reader. Don't use basic things like 'helps the reader to understand' - expand the point!
    Paragraph 4 - Select word choices and interpret verbs/adjectives/nouns/adverbs - maybe colloquialisms too. How this narrates/presents the text.

FOR ALL PARAGRAPHS: Refer to both texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pabblethefish)
    I'm retaking English Language too. Here's the basic paragraph structure I'mma use for the reading questions if you're interested -

Question 1 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    1st paragraph - Overview of key points/concerns in the article (no quote needed). Concluding sentence of articles opinion.
    3 mini paragraphs - One of the previously listed concerns/points for each paragraph. Quotation and perceptive interpretation - use cross referencing if a similar point is repeated in the article.
    4th paragraph (conditional) - Highlight the counter-argument and interpret if there is one. Needs a perceptive overview.

Question 2 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    Two paragraphs.
    Focus on two main presentation devices, eg header, image, font, text shape - must be significant to the article.
    Try to make sections equal length. Quote from the text to link devices and use descriptive language (imagine the examiner is blind)!

Question 3 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    1st paragraph - Concise overview of the writers feelings, include some quotes and a short interpretive, concluding sentence.
    4 mini paragraphs - PEEL. Clear point, quote evidence, interpretive explanation, expand on interpretation and analysis of language using sophisticated vocab and requoting.

Question 4 - 16 marks, 24 minutes.
    REMEMBER FLAP - Form, language, audience, presentational devices
    Paragraph 1 - State purpose/form/tone for both texts.
    Paragraph 2 - Narative viewpoint for both texts and impact that has on the read alongside the tone is reveals. Include quptes with interpretation of what effect this has.
    Paragraph 3 - Focus on devices! Eg - imagery,rhetorical, semantic fields, use of statistics, repetition). Use quotes and interpretation of effect on the reader. Don't use basic things like 'helps the reader to understand' - expand the point!
    Paragraph 4 - Select word choices and interpret verbs/adjectives/nouns/adverbs - maybe colloquialisms too. How this narrates/presents the text.

FOR ALL PARAGRAPHS: Refer to both texts.
    This is really going to help me Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPrincesskavita)
    This is really going to help me Thank you!
    Your welcome! I'm sure there are exemplars online as well so you can adapt to the writing style. My English teacher who's gone on maternity leave now made us an exemplar of her answers to a past paper so we have an idea of how to write using that structure and it's been really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Have you managed to find any exemplars online? I've tried searching for the ones by the exam board as some other classes got given them but can't find them :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to leave in a minute, but if you private message me reminding me to I can try and scan/upload them later on and I'll send the ones I got given to you if you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPrincesskavita)
    Have you managed to find any exemplars online? I've tried searching for the ones by the exam board as some other classes got given them but can't find them :/
    I've tried as well but most of them are in the secure materials which the teachers have the passwords for

ReputationRep:
    Try checking your school moodle of you have one or another online resource your school uses, I'll check mine when I get home to see if there's a copy online... Am I the only one who checks TSR when I'm out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to leave in a minute, but if you private message me reminding me to I can try and scan/upload them later on and I'll send the ones I got given to you if you like
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Getrevising.com

Revision material for all Gcse's

I'm doing Macbeth and Heroes by Robert Cormier

Very good revision material

ReputationRep:
    Examples are on youtube such as this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VIX8Fi3IWY

Thanks everyone, all these will help me revise tonight and is the exam on the 10th?

ReputationRep:
    Wow!
    This video is great!

ReputationRep:
    Your welcome! I'm sure there are exemplars online as well so you can adapt to the writing style. My English teacher who's gone on maternity leave now made us an exemplar of her answers to a past paper so we have an idea of how to write using that structure and it's been really helpful!
    Hi Pabble the fish, that's really helpful thank you so much! However, in the 4th question, are you sure we're meant to discuss the presentational features? Also, if you could send me those exemplars then I'd be SO GRATEFUL thanks Really would help me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.