Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unit 1 - How to answer this 9 mark question (AQA) Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the question paper for Jan 12
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...1-QP-JAN12.PDF
    question 5 asks:

A student is given a piece of metal wire and asked to investigate how the resistance of
    the wire changes between a temperature of 0 oC and 100 oC.
    5 (a) (i) Draw a labelled diagram of a suitable arrangement that would enable the student to
    carry out the experiment
    5 (a) (ii) Describe the procedure the student would follow in order to obtain accurate and reliable
    measurements of the resistance of the wire at different temperatures between
    0 oC and 100 oC.
    The quality of written communication will be assessed in your answer.

However the markscheme
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...W-MS-JAN12.PDF
    doesn't help explain to me how the set up should be. I'm sort of stuck as to what i should draw. The only things i am sure of are an ammeter and a voltmeter. That's it. How do i draw this circuit?

Also for 5b the markscheme we put the wire in the water bath and ice and stir. Why would we do this?

Thanks in advance

Something like this

ReputationRep:
      ok thanks, but is the circuit to draw just a wire?

(Original post by user1-4)
        ok thanks, but is the circuit to draw just a wire?
        The wire being tested can be drawn as a resistor. The rest of the circuit is as you suggested. The resistance could be measured with a basic voltmeter and ammeter circuit. (And power supply of course.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.