Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dryathlon - giving up alcohol for a month Watch

ReputationRep:
    Night out at the pub last night - was quite easy not to drink but that might be because I ate a burger and a dessert!

ReputationRep:
    Still going strong!
    Getting harder and harder though, and I keep having dreams about drinking and then waking up horrified with myself until I realise I haven't!
    18 days to go

ReputationRep:
    Okay last night was very hard! Went out, was so tired and got pissed off quite quickly with drunk people smacking into me on the dancefloor, had my very drunk friend saying I was boring all night which I felt bad about because i was being a grumpy sod. Got thoroughly pissed off with all the drunk people in the room, and it was a pretty crap night. Meant to be going out tonight but not sure if I can face another boring tiring night where my legs ache like hell and all my friends will get pissed off at me for not drinking.
    14 days to go...

ReputationRep:
    I am torn between 'yay charity' and srs facepalming at people that don't even have anything like a problem with alcohol making a big deal out of a single months sobriety.

God bless this culture of ours where willpower is meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    My "dryathlon" is going well ever since I found my good friend MJ. She makes my life so much more vibrant than old stella ever could. I've decided to dump her for good as we're clearly just too different. MaryJane makes my life fun and we're completely on the right wavelength.
    Stella only seemed to like putting doubts in my mind, stirring up trouble between me and my friends and made me feel miserable in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I am torn between 'yay charity' and srs facepalming at people that don't even have anything like a problem with alcohol making a big deal out of a single months sobriety.

God bless this culture of ours where willpower is meaningless.
    The willpower bit for me is that I have such a good time when out drinking with friends, that when I have to do it sober and watch them having a great time it's very hard not to join in. For me it's turning out to be quite a big deal! Standing in a packed club full of drunks is hell, and I'd much rather be drunk so I can have a good time.
    Sure I can have sober fun, but not in clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Tonight was on par with last night, very rubbish. The club was so packed that you could hardly move, was boiling hot and my friends were so drunk that they started getting in fights. Couldn't stand still for 30 seconds without being smacked into by someone else, alcohol definitely makes clubs a lot better!!
    And you notice how many people grab your bum when you're sober.
    14 days to go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twoforjoy)
    Tonight was on par with last night, very rubbish. The club was so packed that you could hardly move, was boiling hot and my friends were so drunk that they started getting in fights. Couldn't stand still for 30 seconds without being smacked into by someone else, alcohol definitely makes clubs a lot better!!
    And you notice how many people grab your bum when you're sober.
    14 days to go...
    I'm finding it pretty easy to be honest... then again I'm not into nights out!

First big temptation for me is going to be tonight when we have lots of free drinks at work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twoforjoy)
    The willpower bit for me is that I have such a good time when out drinking with friends, that when I have to do it sober and watch them having a great time it's very hard not to join in. For me it's turning out to be quite a big deal! Standing in a packed club full of drunks is hell, and I'd much rather be drunk so I can have a good time.
    Sure I can have sober fun, but not in clubs.

Then spend a month without clubs...? >_>

Or is this basically some sadistic month of forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    I'm bravely doing a pubathon month for Drinkuary in a desparate attempt to keep the pubs in business whilst all these stupid selfish *******s think January - traditionally the toughest month as it is - is a good time to deliberately stop giving them business. :facepalm2:

As Frenchman Hillaire Belloc said: “When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I'm bravely doing a pubathon month for Drinkuary in a desparate attempt to keep the pubs in business whilst all these stupid selfish *******s think January - traditionally the toughest month as it is - is a good time to deliberately stop giving them business. :facepalm2:

As Frenchman Hillaire Belloc said: “When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England”
    Don't worry, I'm spending enough on food and very expensive soft drinks to try and forget the fact that I'm not drinking. And I know a lot of people that are still going to the pub and just not drinking!
    Pubathon sounds good for Feb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I'm finding it pretty easy to be honest... then again I'm not into nights out!

First big temptation for me is going to be tonight when we have lots of free drinks at work.
    Yeah I was finding it very easy before uni, it's not that I crave alcohol it's just that I find it hard to enjoy nights out without it haha

ReputationRep:
    Last night was the last night out sober - pub trip, was not bad! although someone put a penny in my drink of water, expecting me to 'save the queen'... I realised that it was very very unhygienic!!!

Tomorrow I can drink, going out and getting quite drunk

ReputationRep:
    had an awesome night! didn't get incredibly wasted but drunk enough to make some terrible life decisions and effectively ruin a friendship. hey ho!

ReputationRep:
    So what did you learn/ achieve in January without alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildeAboutOscar)
    So what did you learn/ achieve in January without alcohol?
    That clubs are terrible places! but fun when very drunk.
    That my friends think I am a boring person without alcohol, and that apparently I am the source of their entertainment on nights out.
    That i spend far too much money on alcohol!!
    But also that drinking is really really fun and although I have a good time without it, I have a great time with it.
    Although I've realised alcohol is the source of my misery a lot of the time, usually because I do stupid things whilst drunk and then regret it very much. I've been a lot happier over the past month, and I think it's made me realise that getting really smashed is not such a good idea all the time. I'm hoping that i'll learn from it and exercise a bit more self control from now on.
    but probably not.......

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.