Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "An initially uncharged capacitor of capacitance 10muF is charged by a constant current of 200muA. After what time willthe potential difference across the capacitor be 2000v?"

The correct answer was 100s.

I figured Q = Q0 . e^(-t/RC)

But I wasn't sure what to do with the 'initially uncharged' part.

I worked out RC to be 100, by doing 10mu(2000/200mu), but I'm still confuseled as to whether I've done that wrong of it's a coincidence.

(Original post by Dalolguru)
      "An initially uncharged capacitor of capacitance 10muF is charged by a constant current of 200muA. After what time willthe potential difference across the capacitor be 2000v?"

The correct answer was 100s.

I figured Q = Q0 . e^(-t/RC)

But I wasn't sure what to do with the 'initially uncharged' part.

I worked out RC to be 100, by doing 10mu(2000/200mu), but I'm still confuseled as to whether I've done that wrong of it's a coincidence.
      This question says "constant current" so there is no exponential charge or formula to worry about and no time constant.
      Simply work out how much charge is on the capacitor when at 2000V using Q=CV
      Then work out how long it would take a steady current of 200uA to deliver that much charge. Current is just charge per second.
      You may by chance have got the right answer but not by the correct method.

ReputationRep:
      Ahh thanks, I wondered why that part was in bold.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.