Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Ken Dodd Appreciation Thread! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I realise that there probably are not many people on here who are fans of Ken Dodd, perhaps because you have never heard of him or because you prefer today's comedians. But I just think he is amazing (not just as a comedian but also as a singer) and I thought that it was necessary to create a thread of appreciation for him. He is over 80 years old and is still performing, where is his knighthood?!
    Are there any other fans of Ken Dodd out there?

In case you've never heard of him, check out some of his shows which were aired years ago. He is barmy and mad, but so lovable

ReputationRep:
    You have to like Ken Dodd- otherwise he won't let you out of the building. His shows sometimes end up being 3 or 4 hours long.
    He is indeed a force of nature who covers various comedic ages. He might not have the self conscious surrealism of some more modern comics but his own surrealism is more truly real and that's why it's possible for me to like Monty Python whilst still admiring Ken Dodd although I wasn't always a fan. Bob Monkhouse was one of my favourite old school favourites. I say old school but his polished comedy and cutting wit underneath his professional demeanour never aged, just some of his audiences did. I was very sad that Monkhouse died- he was a truly dedicated gentleman of comedy.

ReputationRep:
    My Ken Dodd story!

I went with my parents to see Ken Dodd when I was around 7-8 (I think they thought I'd be amused by the Diddymen, which was part of his act that night!).

We were sat in the front row and, being 7, I didn't get most of his jokes. Being the genius he is, he picked up on this straight away and after having a brief chat with my, and playfully calling me a grump, proclaimed "It will be my mission tonight to get a smile out of you!". The rest of the evening he'd do his thing, and then comically glance towards me to see if it had my approval (I had no idea what was going on!), which, according to my parents, the crowd loved.

I was basically used as a comedic tool that night but it's something I've always had fond memories of and he handled everything in such a professional manner. Leg-end.

Plus I came home with a tickle stick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuAndMma)
    My Ken Dodd story!

I went with my parents to see Ken Dodd when I was around 7-8 (I think they thought I'd be amused by the Diddymen, which was part of his act that night!).

We were sat in the front row and, being 7, I didn't get most of his jokes. Being the genius he is, he picked up on this straight away and after having a brief chat with my, and playfully calling me a grump, proclaimed "It will be my mission tonight to get a smile out of you!". The rest of the evening he'd do his thing, and then comically glance towards me to see if it had my approval (I had no idea what was going on!), which, according to my parents, the crowd loved.

I was basically used as a comedic tool that night but it's something I've always had fond memories of and he handled everything in such a professional manner. Leg-end.

Plus I came home with a tickle stick!
    Aww that's a great story! You're right, he is an absolute legend
    You are lucky you have had the honour of going to see one of his shows, I have never had the chance to go to one

ReputationRep:
    Ken Dodd is marvelous, I'm really fond of his humour. I got into it when I saw this video of him chatting with the Beatles (calling George an "evil smelly peasant") and making them all laugh. He really is the last of a dying breed of comics, very classy, vaudevillian, play-performing type comedy. It grew out of fashion as the more familiar, approachable stand-up took its place, but, like you said with Monty Python, it's very possible to like them both.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.