Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are loud, confident people actually happy? Watch

Anon because there is the potential for me to talk about personal/embarrassing things on this thread.

OK to start off, my OP may have a lot of generalizations (which is seemingly a hanging offense on TSR :rolleyes:) but I'm talking about my own experiences here mostly.

Do you think people who are quite loud, confident and who always seem to joke around (often referred to as extroverts which is not necessarily the case) are actually always as happy as they seem? Ever heard of the saying that 'the funniest people are often the most depressed'. I've noticed that people who are often quietly confident seem to be the most content in their lives. :dontknow: Obviously there is no actual way to know what a person is be going through in their personal lives but this is what I've frequently observed.

Now naturally I think I'm fairly introverted, but I've noticed that personally, I'm more likely to be confident and jokey (almost annoyingly hah) when I've been having a tough time - it's almost as if being 'loud and confident' is a coping/escape mechanism to help me forget about the bull**** going on in my life, and the times when I've not been stressed, I'm less 'loud' if that makes sense? I mean, people would never really be able to tell when I'm 'down in the dumps' because of what I've mentioned above, which leads me to believe that it's possible that many other people feel this way?

So, enough of my ramblings, what is TSR's view on this?

Anyone?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    People often use jokes to cover up certain problems which they don't want to talk about.

Extroverts I'd say are just as happy as everyone else, but some extroverts I know, in my opinion, are a bit shallow.

I'd say extrovert doesn't equal unhappy, but loud, attention-seekers indicate a need which they have been deprived of when they were younger, something I feel sorry for them for....I'm sure they lead a less happy existence.

(Original post by kimprovising)
    Why sad face?

ReputationRep:
    What do you define as loud and confident? Apparently I come across as extroverted to many people because I take interest in people's lives. It doesn't mean I'm confident in any popular sense, nor does it make me happier.

Confidence and happiness are pretty much entities that are only enjoyed when they're out of sight and out of mind, unfortunately. Happiness is also something that's often remembered in hindsight; usually after a bad patch in life.

Looking over at loud and confident people and thinking the grass is greener definitely doesn't work. What's worse is looking over, seeing the green grass and convincing yourself it's not as green as you thought. I've done that a fair few times. Forget about other people and focus on yourself. Do you want to be loud and confident? Do you want to see if it'll bring you happiness or an easier life? Then take action. Doing something leads to a reward. Thinking about it leads to depression. Seriously, this is why technology like Facebook, Twitter, blogs and forums are making people depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon because there is the potential for me to talk about personal/embarrassing things on this thread.

OK to start off, my OP may have a lot of generalizations (which is seemingly a hanging offense on TSR :rolleyes:) but I'm talking about my own experiences here mostly.

Do you think people who are quite loud, confident and who always seem to joke around (often referred to as extroverts which is not necessarily the case) are actually always as happy as they seem? Ever heard of the saying that 'the funniest people are often the most depressed'. I've noticed that people who are often quietly confident seem to be the most content in their lives. :dontknow: Obviously there is no actual way to know what a person is be going through in their personal lives but this is what I've frequently observed.

Now naturally I think I'm fairly introverted, but I've noticed that personally, I'm more likely to be confident and jokey (almost annoyingly hah) when I've been having a tough time - it's almost as if being 'loud and confident' is a coping/escape mechanism to help me forget about the bull**** going on in my life, and the times when I've not been stressed, I'm less 'loud' if that makes sense? I mean, people would never really be able to tell when I'm 'down in the dumps' because of what I've mentioned above, which leads me to believe that it's possible that many other people feel this way?

hmm interesting, I suppose it just depends on whether they are being loud/ confident due to the lack of confidence they actually believe they have, inother words trying to make up for traits they believe they don;t have. Or whether the fact that they are so confident on the inside makesthem come across as loud and confident..I think it just depends really :cool:

ReputationRep:

The quote you quoted.. doesn't necessarily speak about loud people.. it might be funny people who are quite cynical or able to look at themselves and others from different point of view.. thus suggesting they could be depressed as they see life from a different perspective and have a different take on it.

funniest doesn't always equal loud or confident..

ReputationRep:
    I love to make people laugh a lot in school so I may be seen as loud or confident, however it certainly does not mean I have a 'perfect' life. I guess if I was around people ALL of the time I would be happy ALL of the time, because I love being around people. However it is sometimes possible to get down on yourself when you're alone, so there is a lot of truth in what you are saying as I can relate.

It's true...well at least it is with me.

Started new Sixth Form and am friends with just about everyone. People say I'm nice and confident and blah blah, but the truth is I'm not. I'm downright "%£$^$% depressed :L I just make my exterior happy because I don't want people to know my real feelings...I don't want to be pitied you could say...

It's true...well at least it is with me.

Started new Sixth Form and am friends with just about everyone. People say I'm nice and confident and blah blah, but the truth is I'm not. I'm downright "%£$^$% depressed :L I just make my exterior happy because I don't want people to know my real feelings...I don't want to be pitied you could say...
    Yeah this is exactly what I mean and I can totally relate. You've managed to condense my OP into a couple of sentences XD It still sucks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimprovising)
    Seems likes a potential OP anon fail? Interesting

ReputationRep:
    From my experience in people I have met and my attempt to extrovert myself like I was when I was a child...no.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I come across as very confident but I know myself that I'm not confident in everything I do & this just seems to be a cover up & half the time I don't know I'm doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I asked a uni friend what her first impressions of me were and she said 'Loud, confident, bubbly and friendly', I was shocked tbh. I was ****ing myself the first day of uni that I was gonna make an absolute twit of myself (which I did but it was amazing in the end! ). I generally think I'm introverted and I can get quite nervous in social situations yet I don't come across as that to others. So basically people who apparently are 'confident' sometimes are completely socially awkward, and are just trying to fake it til they make it really. Not to say they're not actually happy, just not as completely sure of themselves as you may assume. I myself tend to fall into making lame jokes when social situations look like they're about to turn awkward (not sure if anyone else is like this or I'm just odd.:ashamed2:)

(Original post by und3niable_)
    From my experience in people I have met and my attempt to extrovert myself like I was when I was a child...no.
    Funny that you say that! I was painfully shy as a child...

(Original post by Megm217)
    Apparently I come across as very confident but I know myself that I'm not confident in everything I do & this just seems to be a cover up & half the time I don't know I'm doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you know you come across as confident?

(Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:)
    Well I asked a uni friend what her first impressions of me were and she said 'Loud, confident, bubbly and friendly', I was shocked tbh. I was ****ing myself the first day of uni that I was gonna make an absolute twit of myself (which I did but it was amazing in the end! ). I generally think I'm introverted and I can get quite nervous in social situations yet I don't come across as that to others. So basically people who apparently are 'confident' sometimes are completely socially awkward, and are just trying to fake it til they make it really. Not to say they're not actually happy, just not as completely sure of themselves as you may assume. I myself tend to fall into making lame jokes when social situations look like they're about to turn awkward (not sure if anyone else is like this or I'm just odd.:ashamed2:)
    Ahaha that makes a lot of sense! :P I'd be interested to know what people's first impressions of me are :/ I know people say to not worry about what others think but I'm actually genuinely curious. Some people make social situations seem like a breeze - I'm actually quite surprised at how they can be so calm and collected in every situation! Maybe it's a case of us being harsh on ourselves, whereas most people wouldn't notice or would forget or wouldn't care about our shortcomings, and a case of learning from your mistakes/experiences.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know you come across as confident?
    Because I had met a family friend for the 1st time the other night and something was said and she told me that I come across as very confident with the way I speak etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its quite easy to spot the difference between a happy confident person having a bit of fun and a desperate attention seeker.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.