Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help setting up GIF-type image as avatar.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So having finally become a sub earlier I wanted to implement a particular GIF sort of thing as my avatar. I've seen people with non-static avatars on here so I'm presuming it is a subscriber feature (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Could anyone on here give me a sort of step-by step guide for this? I've seen the image as a GIF before, but when I tried to save it I was left with just 10 or 11 different still framed pictures; which isn't what I wanted. Anyway, I've found the youtube clip with the bit I want to put on as I can't find the GIF itself any more, so if anyone could tell me if it's even possible to get it from this into my avatar it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Hi,

So having finally become a sub earlier I wanted to implement a particular GIF sort of thing as my avatar. I've seen people with non-static avatars on here so I'm presuming it is a subscriber feature (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Could anyone on here give me a sort of step-by step guide for this? I've seen the image as a GIF before, but when I tried to save it I was left with just 10 or 11 different still framed pictures; which isn't what I wanted. Anyway, I've found the youtube clip with the bit I want to put on as I can't find the GIF itself any more, so if anyone could tell me if it's even possible to get it from this into my avatar it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Here: http://www.yt2gif.com/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! This is great

Do you know what size I should make the GIF to have it as my avatar? Also, how would I set it as my avatar next? Thanks in advance
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! This is great

Do you know what size I should make the GIF to have it as my avatar? Also, how would I set it as my avatar next? Thanks in advance
    Not entirely sure of the max avatar size, so you'll have to experiment I suppose. You can change them here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/prof...?do=editavatar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Not entirely sure of the max avatar size, so you'll have to experiment I suppose. You can change them here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/prof...?do=editavatar
    Ah ok, not sure how to get it in as every size I've chosen has either got 'invalid file' or 'remote file is too large', even though I've selected sizes which should be acceptable
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, not sure how to get it in as every size I've chosen has either got 'invalid file' or 'remote file is too large', even though I've selected sizes which should be acceptable
    Try lowering the quality of the gif. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Try lowering the quality of the gif. :yep:
    Ok, I'll give it a go :yes:

If this does fail, I promise not to pester you again Though I have found where the video post was, so if I link it here and you have any ideas on how to go through the process of setting it as a file I can use it would, again, be much appreciated.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll give it a go :yes:

If this does fail, I promise not to pester you again Though I have found where the video post was, so if I link it here and you have any ideas on how to go through the process of setting it as a file I can use it would, again, be much appreciated.
    Haha, its fine. Happy to help!

Looking forward to seeing your new avatar. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, its fine. Happy to help!

Looking forward to seeing your new avatar. :ninja:
    Nope, no luck there again :no:

Thanks for the help anyway, I'll keep working on this
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Nope, no luck there again :no:

Thanks for the help anyway, I'll keep working on this
    Try this:

Name:  oie_218051abW0nUpS.gif
Views: 246
Size:  52.3 KB

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Try this:

Name:  oie_218051abW0nUpS.gif
Views: 246
Size:  52.3 KB

:awesome:
    Is that 100x100? I've tried to use the image url, but that didn't work. Where should I try saving the image?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Is that 100x100? I've tried to use the image url, but that didn't work. Where should I try saving the image?
    Save it on your computer, and you will be able to upload it when choosing a new avatar. The image is 100x56 as the gif you provided wasn't square. Use this for editing images: http://www.online-image-editor.com/

ReputationRep:
    The limits are 100x100 pixels and 50kb :yes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    The limits are 100x100 pixels and 50kb :yes:
    Ah cheers!

How did you stumble into the Tech forum? :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Ah cheers!

Wait a minute, this is in tech? Forget I said anything :getmecoat:

Nah it was on the homepage and I thought I'd have a look

ReputationRep:
    Ah cheers!

Gutted: it's 52kb! Would lowering the quality have an effect?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Gutted: it's 52kb! Would lowering the quality have an effect?
    Of course it would!

ReputationRep:
    Of course it would!
    Damn, I saved it on my computer but when I uploaded it is still? Any ideas? Sorry again..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I saved it on my computer but when I uploaded it is still? Any ideas? Sorry again..
    When you lowered the quality, you might have converted it incorrectly. Try using an online image editor that retains the animated gif.

ReputationRep:
    When you lowered the quality, you might have converted it incorrectly. Try using an online image editor that retains the animated gif.
    Does the fact I'm saving it as an image have something to do with it? I'm not sure how to save it and retain the animated feature

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.