Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    You're all probably going to judge and be like, "you thick person", but for my exam, I need to make sure I master drawing covalent bonds, where electrons are shared or something? My teacher is very brief and panic-y, and we barely even looked at this. I don't know what it is I don't fully understand, but it's quite confusing in general I think. Here's a picture of the diagram in my revision guide, in-case my describing made no sense :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mma_gal96)
    Hi,
    You're all probably going to judge and be like, "you thick person", but for my exam, I need to make sure I master drawing covalent bonds, where electrons are shared or something? My teacher is very brief and panic-y, and we barely even looked at this. I don't know what it is I don't fully understand, but it's quite confusing in general I think. Here's a picture of the diagram in my revision guide, in-case my describing made no sense :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the obvious bits are that the circle with the letter in are atoms, where the letter(s) represent the atomic symbol ie the c is carbon. That should be simple.

Now in a covalent bond two atoms each provide one electron, hence 2 electrons form the bond (the sharing of a pair of electrons)

Lets look at F2 (Fluorine)

First we need to work out how many electrons have in its outer shell using the 2 8 8 method.
    Well the proton number of fluorine is 9 so it will have 7 electrons in its outer shell.

Good so far?

So if one atom provides on electron then we will see two two circles, with a bonded pair consisting of two electrons and 3 lone pairs (unbonded electrons).

xx --

xx CL x- Cl <--- The diagram messed up a bit me thinks

xx --

this diagram shows the covalent bonding between Cl2 where x and - are electrons.

In CO2 its the same principle just the c to o atoms form double bonds (O=C=O)

Feel free to ask any questions, and out of curiosity is this As or GCSE?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 1, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.