The Student Room Group

Big 4 experience relevant for law firms?

Hi

I was just wondering whether experience from a big 4 accounting firm is considered relevant for law firms. I'm currently working in tax at a big 4 and only took this because i couldn't find a training contract, which was partly due to the fact that i had no commercial experience.

Would the experience that i gain from working at a big 4 help me obtain a training contract in the future or do law firms generally disregard this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Ben_Dover
Hi

I was just wondering whether experience from a big 4 accounting firm is considered relevant for law firms. I'm currently working in tax at a big 4 and only took this because i couldn't find a training contract, which was partly due to the fact that i had no commercial experience.

Would the experience that i gain from working at a big 4 help me obtain a training contract in the future or do law firms generally disregard this?

Thanks

I'd imagine it's treated similar to any office junior/admin job. Counted as office work experience but no different to any other non-legal job to be honest.
Reply 2
Original post by firaWhoops
I'd imagine it's treated similar to any office junior/admin job. Counted as office work experience but no different to any other non-legal job to be honest.

I would presume it'll be looked on favourably in comparison to most non-legal work experience. It's solid professional experience with a top firm.

That said, OP would you really be willing to start again from the bottom once ACA qualified?
Reply 3
Original post by M1011
I would presume it'll be looked on favourably in comparison to most non-legal work experience. It's solid professional experience with a top firm.

That said, OP would you really be willing to start again from the bottom once ACA qualified?

To be honest i'm looking to apply for training contracts again after I've spent about a year here. If I complete the ACA then i might just stay at the firm and forget about training contracts.
Reply 4

I work in the private client team....majority of my work is tax planning, that is, researching the law and find ways around it or plan affairs in the most efficient ways. There is very little accounting/tax returns done by me since this type of work gets sourced to cheaper departments. It is in fact very law related.
Reply 5
Have you completed your BPV/LPC course and just need a trainee contract, or are you needing a trainee contract that includes funding for the BPV/LPC course?
Reply 6
Have you completed your BPV/LPC course and just need a trainee contract, or are you needing a trainee contract that includes funding for the BPV/LPC course?

Haven't done the LPC yet....it's a bit risky spending about 13k and then not obtaining a training contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending