Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been working out what I want to do with my life and I am leaning towards getting a bachelors (then masters and hopefully doctoral) degree in criminology. Specializing in criminal profiling. AKA the psychology behind the criminals. My school's sixth form does not teach anything that would help me in my pursuit other than psychology and I was wondering if I could possibly start my degree at age 16 (Assuming that's when I finish my GCSEs, I may do resits, who knows. But let's just assume I do fine first time around). Is this possible? If so how may I go around doing this?

I have read about international students starting university in the UK at 16 and people have warned about being left out of social groups because of their age however I am not concerned about that, I am autistic (The 'high' functioning kind and I am a loner. I really don't care about partying and all that).

Summary:
    • Can I start my degree at age 16?
    • If so, then how may I go about doing so?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TemplarPage)
    Hi,

I have been working out what I want to do with my life and I am leaning towards getting a bachelors (then masters and hopefully doctoral) degree in criminology. Specializing in criminal profiling. AKA the psychology behind the criminals. My school's sixth form does not teach anything that would help me in my pursuit other than psychology and I was wondering if I could possibly start my degree at age 16 (Assuming that's when I finish my GCSEs, I may do resits, who knows. But let's just assume I do fine first time around). Is this possible? If so how may I go around doing this?

I have read about international students starting university in the UK at 16 and people have warned about being left out of social groups because of their age however I am not concerned about that, I am autistic (The 'high' functioning kind and I am a loner. I really don't care about partying and all that).

Summary:
    Just register as an external candidate for, and then sit, A levels or their equivalents prior to the date you wish to apply for university. I believe university policy on the admission of people that age can vary so make sure you check that all is fine on that front.

ReputationRep:
    The major concern that most institutions would hold about your application is that you wouldn't have developed the skills necessary to successfully complete a degree without completing A-levels. Thus, most universities use A-level grades as standard entry requirements.

You would have to demonstrate an exceptional aptitude for criminology to a university that was willing to take a risk, but I haven't the foggiest about how you would go about that - for UK students in the UK educational system, university at 16 is exceedingly rare.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Summary:
    I know people who started degrees at 17.
    But this is because they have the qualifications or equivalent of a-levels. You can't start a degree unless you got the right ones, gcse isn't enough.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Summary:
    You can start your degree at 16 if you have A Levels or equivalent. Universities set out their requirements, such as ABB at A Level. GCSEs are not equivalent to this, do you have other qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Summary:
    Well that really depends where at but from my knowledge of universities most ask for A level grades/UCAS points which will probably not be enough from just your GCSE's?

If anyone can correct me that'd be cool.

ReputationRep:
    x
    A levels my man. A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I know people who started degrees at 17.
    But this is because they have the qualifications or equivalent of a-levels. You can't start a degree unless you got the right ones, gcse isn't enough.
    London met makes the impossible, possible.

OP, just make a quick UCAS app to said university and provide evidence that you are alive.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, thanks for the help everybody.

ReputationRep:
    Criminology may not require specific A Levels, but you still do need some A Levels (or equivalent). It's not necessarily so that the information you learn in them can be directly applied to your degree course, but rather to fully complete school before going on to University-level education. An A*-grade GCSE essay will be very flimsy compared to undergraduate level work, for example, and A Levels are needed to bridge this gap.

Still, you could email Unis you're interested in and see what they say, if you like.

ReputationRep:
    I found that there was some criminology involved in both my government & politics and psychology A Levels, which I enjoyed. Clearly each subject had a different take on criminology though.

You will, however, need A Levels to go to university. A Levels are not merely a staging post for those who are undecided about what subject to do at uni.

ReputationRep:
    There is always college that may offer courses you are more interested in.

As the other have said, you need A-Levels or equivelant. Its a big enough step from A Level to Uni, the jump from GCSE would be mega.

Those that come from abroad do have equivalent. I lived with Greek girl in first year who was just 17 but she had done the equivalent qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few 16 and 17 year olds at my university, but they are frighteningly intelligent and jumped grades to sit the A levels.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I seem to remember that you wouldn't be able to get student finance or something?

It is possible to get in on work experience; but you need a few years or so.

ReputationRep:
    We had people come to our school to do the International Baccalaureate, meaning they started unit at 17

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Summary:
    Why do you want to start university at 16? What is wrong with starting at 18 (or 17, if Scottish, but as you're doing GCSEs I assume you're outside Scotland)? There are numerous problems with wanting to go to university at 16 immediately after GCSEs.The most obvious is that you won't have A-levels and these are needed for university entry.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what others have said; you really do need to do A-Levels in order to open the door to university - especially to good universities, which is where you'll ideally want to be if you intend to go on to do lots of postgrad study. Yes, some people do go to uni without A-Levels - mature students who do an access course, for example - but just leapfrogging over them altogether is something unis are very unlikely to allow.

Also, just as an aside, think about the practical arrangements. If you were to go to uni now, at 16, you would be a lot younger than everyone else - I know you don't care about that from a social standpoint, but it would also massively limit things like what accommodation you could get, and why make life difficult? My observation has been that people who are younger when they start uni also tend to struggle with managing all the practical stuff about living away from home and sorthing things out for themselves - for example, I met one guy who, like you mentioned, was an international student who came to uni at 16, and when he encountered problems he was really bad at dealing with them because he just had no idea what to do. If I remember right I think he ended up dropping out because he just couldn't get it together to deal with things that were going wrong.

You might want to talk to your school about whether they would be prepared/able to allow you to do some Open University study alongside your A-Levels. They don't run YASS (the Young Applicants in Schools Scheme) in quite the same way as they used to, but the website says they still allow post-16 students to do some Level 1 OU study alongside AS/A-Level study. This would mean you could do some university work before actually going to university, and might give you a chance to do some more work relevant to the area you want to go into... I believe 'Introducing the Social Sciences' includes some psychology and criminology; there's an introductory psychology module; or there's even 'Elements of forensic science' which isn't in the area you want to go into, but might provide an interesting complement to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also 16, and I'm wanting to study Criminology too. Most 'top' universities that teach Psychology + Crim/Sociology + Crim, such as Durham, Surrey, and Exeter ask for ABB at the minimum. Criminology doesn't require you to study any specific A levels, so you shouldn't be worrying about choices etc.

The chances of being accepted into university to study Criminology without A levels is near zero. A levels are an important part of our age to develop the necessary skills to be successful at university. If you aren't able to develop copious work to achieve ABB, then you aren't clever enough to be applying for this course anyway.

My advice: pick subjects at A level that you excel in, and are willing to put the effort into. The truth is, difficulty is opinionated, and A levels can be easy so long as you put in the effort. If you go home and look over the notes from the day's lessons for 40 minutes, you'll come out with AAA. Trust me, I'm studying Sociology, Health and Social, History and Biology, and I'm on 4 A's simply because I'm putting in the effort. I got average GCSE results, so I'm nothing special.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.