Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They said on the news that it might be Al Qaeda, because of Spain siding with the US over Iraq, terrorism, etc. The most people ETA ever killed in one attack before was only 20, but then a couple of weeks ago they did arrest some ETA members in a truck with over 500kg of explosives. It just must be awful there.

ReputationRep:
    My parents and brother went on holiday to Madrid a few weeks ago, its always quite scary when you've been somewhere or know people who have been somewhere where this kind of tragedy happens, its awful and I can't believe terroists feel that killing people is the right way to protest about dislike of the government.

ReputationRep:
    its horrific. i left home this morning with intial reports saying 5 dead, i get home 20mins ago to hear 173 known dead.

ReputationRep:
    It's awful news! It's been interesting to watch the media coverage of it. Far more given to this that to similar (even worse) tragic events that have happened in countries outside Europe. I just hope that people don't become paranoid of "terrorist threats".

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesting to see how the US reacts - whether they will actually care about a possible al-q attack outside of their country.
    Unfortunately if it is al-q it surely won't be long until something like this strikes the UK.

It's awful. My condolences to anyone affected.

ReputationRep:
    i would assume it was the work of ETA and not Al-q they've been leading up to something like this for some time. Either way it is such a horrible tragedy. It felt so wierd for me to hear about the blast cos yesterday i just handed in an essay about ETA and concluded that the situation could only get worse and Spain was just waiting for a large scale tragedy. Its so tragic that it came true. I can't see that ETA will ever achieve their aims (similar to those of the IRA) and if this attack was them then it was just a pointless slaughter of innocent people.
    The whole terrorism thing makes me feel quite scared about having to live out there for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    ETA will NEVER get what they want because they're f**ked up *******s.

A) Most people in the Basque country don't want to be separated from the rest of Spain. It's just a minority that imposes their will upon everyone else.
    B) ETA terrorise basques on a daily basis. Businesses have to pay the 'revolutionary tax' to set up there and those who don't get death threats. No one dares state who they're going to vote for their, political polls are useless. Barkeepers are forced to put up stickers that say 'free the ETA leaders' cause if they don't they get their bars vandalised.
    C) They are TERRORISTS and yes, it's the foreign media which underestimates ETA. Here in Spain they are portrayed as they really are, and it's time for everyone else to treat them like terrorists not freedom fighting separatists.

All madrileños please go to the demonstration tomorrow at 7. And another thing... ETA son unos putos cagaos!!!

ReputationRep:
    Its nearly 200 dead and 2000 ingured now!
    i havnt turned off TVE for the whole day.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Eternal Idol is ok........

ReputationRep:
    Shocking.

(Original post by Tednol)
    Why do the press continue to refer to ETA as 'separatists' and not terrorists?
    Define "terrorist".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Shocking.

Define "terrorist".
    Ask Jeeves

ReputationRep:
    Al-Quida claimed responsibility. Was it them or the ETA :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Al-Quida claimed responsibility. Was it them or the ETA :confused:
    It could be Al-Qaeda but not necessarily. They might just be claiming it for publicity or maybe they have made a pact with ETA, but here in Spain everyone blames ETA and I personally think they are definitely involved. There are so many reasons for it:
    1. It's election day this sunday, ETA want to create disunion between parties.
    2. ETA have been warning people that there would be a bombing soon and lately a lot of their plots have failed.
    3. They tried to bomb Chamartin, another train station in Madrid last Christmas Eve. Thank goodness it didn't set off, one of my best mates was on that train.
    4. The bombs used are those ETA usually uses.

There are plenty more reasons, don't want to state them all unless anyone here would like me too.

ReputationRep:
    they found a car nearby with islamic educational videos in them................also explosive denoators in the same car. thtas what BBC said, also it was 911 days since 9/11 (+1 actually for leap year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpAnIsH_fLy)
    I wonder if Eternal Idol is ok........
    I was looking at post stuff, he has 1,999 posts, i clicked on when he was on last :3/11/04. Its probably just a coincidence, but have people talked him lately? Sorry if i am making a deal out of nothing, i just found it odd...

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at post stuff, he has 1,999 posts, i clicked on when he was on last :3/11/04. Its probably just a coincidence, but have people talked him lately? Sorry if i am making a deal out of nothing, i just found it odd...

Nope i aint seen him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpAnIsH_fLy)
    Nope i aint seen him.
    do u usually see him?

ReputationRep:
    do u usually see him?

We usually did, he was on here alot.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.