Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 5ft 7 and weigh about 80kg/12.5stone and am thus overweight. I want to get into shape for the summer and lose about 20 pounds by May. I'll attempt to do an hour of cardio 5 times a week and wish to add in some resistance.

I've never really one much other than a few dumbell exercises, what would you recommend? I'm not looking to get massive, just a more muscular so that I can look decent in a tight t-shirt/polo.

Would you recommend protein shakes even if I'm trying to lose weight? What sort of food would you recommend eating?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have much muscle then you'll gain some easily from doing some decent lifting. Focus on the weight loose and see what muscle you gain along the way then you can always focus on the muscle more once you aren't overweight.

Start with strong lift, starting strength or some other compound based programme.

Learn about diet. It's what really matters. There's no answer here that will cover it all. Start with the stickied threads here. Protein powder is used for convince. You'll want to be eating a decent amount of protein so you might find it useful, you might not, it's a preference thing. What really matters is how many calories are going in and how many grams of protein, not specifically where they come from. Obviously there's a place for micronutrition but it's not what changes your body shape

ReputationRep:
    Hmm what's your body fat percentage ? And I'm roughly same dimensions as you and my aim is different to yours but after a few weeks of lifting my weight has increased but body fat percentage has decreased

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentNeedingHelp)
    Hmm what's your body fat percentage ? And I'm roughly same dimensions as you and my aim is different to yours but after a few weeks of lifting my weight has increased but body fat percentage has decreased

Posted from TSR Mobile
    about 24% I think, can't be certain, but it's somewhere between 22 and 25 I think. Do you feel the muscle gain then?

ReputationRep:
    Start by just lifting because that should bring your body fat down by itself, if it doesn't then you can look to add some cardio. If you want to build muscle then get on the protein shakes too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'll get noob gains at first

ReputationRep:
    You will see improvements in the first few weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try the strong lifts work out because that what focuses on loosing weight and gaining muscle at the same time. It works as well.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you are consuming less energy than you are expending you'll loose fat. Remember to change your diet too.

Fat loss will also make clearer how much muscle you've got to work with. If you're going to the gym consider speaking to someone who works there, my gym does free tailored workout plans.

If not youtube is your friend.

Also Don't do resistance training for the same area of your body on consecutive days, just a tip.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps in the beggining it can be possible but my answer is no unless you're on drugs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.