Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

China and the South China Sea Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently doing a project and I need to formulate a research question in regard to China's claim to these islands in the South China Sea.

Having done some research, I want you to help me with regard to a research question as to the real reason why China are being so aggressive towards their claims? It's highly probable that there is reserves down under.

Is it because their military is actually sufficient to do something now? As opposed to the century of humiliation, whereby a lot of territory was lost. China also solved so many other territorial disputes peacefully in the past.

Is it within national interest to claim these islands?

I need a possible research question, as I regard energy to be the primary factor in the reason why China are claiming these islands.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think their economy being strong, their military getting stronger (though decades from ever being a challenge to America, not that that is the goal of the Chinese military development) and an overblown sense that America is in decline has led to more extreme elements in China making aggressive noises over a territory dispute. As well as this China went through a leadership transition and the best way to appear to be a strong leader and gain the confidence of your people is to make some bold foreign policy gesture. Energy is no doubt the key to why they want the islands what I have said above more refers to why they are going about the claims the way they are.

It's not really at all within their national interest to go about the territory disputes the way they are. They are being overly aggressive and creating the conditions for a war in the region that would likely drag in America.

ReputationRep:
    Because the islands were originally under Chinese sovereignty in the 14th century. If you're to put forward the geographical aspect also, the Diaoyu Islands are due east. Also, China needs to expand to accommodate its humungous population.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Because the islands were originally under Chinese sovereignty in the 14th century. If you're to put forward the geographical aspect also, the Diaoyu Islands are due east. Also, China needs to expand to accommodate its humungous population.
    The islands are little more than rocks in the sea, hardly the sort of land they want to settle for living space.

Good luck building your new home there....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The islands are little more than rocks in the sea, hardly the sort of land they want to settle for living space.

I'll build my houses there if they don't want them!

ReputationRep:
    They Japanese have already started housing people there according to google maps..

Name:  bahamas-paradise-island.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  29.3 KB
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They Japanese have already started housing people there according to google maps..

Name:  bahamas-paradise-island.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  29.3 KB
    That's in the Bahamas.....

The Japanese do actually own the Islands though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    That's in the Bahamas.....

The Japanese do actually own the Islands though
    You're too quick for me, hahaha.

Yeah I realise this. The Chinese claim is a historical one, but the Japanese have the legitimate right to the islands. Its really just China wanting to look like it isn't backing down from a fight with its Japanese rivals.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Yeah I realise this. The Chinese claim is a historical one, but the Japanese have the legitimate right to the islands. Its really just China wanting to look like it isn't backing down from a fight with its Japanese rivals.
    I find it odd their so willing to antagonize an American ally and a powerful economy in its own right. If the Japanese want to militarize which things like Chinese entries of their airspace will push them towards, they will be able to do it quickly and become quite powerful. I think China is far far too confident right now and its going to cause them problems

ReputationRep:

Why do the Japanese have a right to the islands? I'm not on any particular side of this argument, I don't know why either has a better claim to them than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Why do the Japanese have a right to the islands? I'm not on any particular side of this argument, I don't know why either has a better claim to them than the other.
    They annexed the islands in 1895 when they were a powerhouse imperial force, they suceded the islands to the US when they lost WW2 and then they negotiated the return of the islands to their control in 1972 in the Okinawa Reversion Treaty, but at the same time, China and Taiwan declared their ownership of the islands.

China's interest in the islands only reignited when huge oil reserves were found there in 1969.

I would suggest a read of a very reliable source- i.e. wikipedia.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senkaku_Islands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Those are pretty generous, the South China Sea islands are mere atolls and reefs, fairly small at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I find it odd their so willing to antagonize an American ally and a powerful economy in its own right. If the Japanese want to militarize which things like Chinese entries of their airspace will push them towards, they will be able to do it quickly and become quite powerful. I think China is far far too confident right now and its going to cause them problems
    Yes Japan is heading towards what you predict here.

And I would like to see what problem it will cause by Chinese over confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I think their economy being strong, their military getting stronger (though decades from ever being a challenge to America, not that that is the goal of the Chinese military development) and an overblown sense that America is in decline has led to more extreme elements in China making aggressive noises over a territory dispute. As well as this China went through a leadership transition and the best way to appear to be a strong leader and gain the confidence of your people is to make some bold foreign policy gesture. Energy is no doubt the key to why they want the islands what I have said above more refers to why they are going about the claims the way they are.

It's not really at all within their national interest to go about the territory disputes the way they are. They are being overly aggressive and creating the conditions for a war in the region that would likely drag in America.
    The best policy to end noises is to produce a dominant "noise" which could be either military action or diplomatic negotiation.

Countries like Vietnam have benefited much from this area. They should have appreciated. And considering we should give an example how we can effectively solve the territory dispute, we need to present a powerful gesture, just like what Britain has done to Guerra de las Malvinas Islands.

And also, it can be a good excuse to develop our Navy to protect the trade with Africa for instance.

ReputationRep:
    I have done some research over this topic as well.

From what I found is that the ownership was given by the American after WW2 as someone has already mentioned. However, this has always been a conflict that even both previous leaders of Japan and China decided to leave the island alone.

Regarding whether China can encounter America, I think it 's not yet possible. From a chart in The Economist, it shows that the American is still ahead in terms of high-end army. Of course, data are probably unreliable anyway, so we wouldn't know.

Lastly, these are all from rumour, it seems that the Japanese are the ones who found out that there are resource near the island. However, some do say that it is not a matter of resource, what does matter is the sea line - that is used to decide the belonging of the particular region of the sea. So, if the island belongs to Japan, then China would automatically loses some of its sea, and ,of course, the resource that potentially in the region of the sea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Though it's small, it's our territory. Do you mind someone get in your house and said one of your conor belongs to him . It's the same. We are not over aggressive at all. And actually the island is like an entrance for chinese navi to get into the ocean. Since we are not done with TW yet.we need the entrance. The Chinese was really weak in 19s, because we can't control the sea and can't control the territory. This would never happen anymore. This is a spirit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lance liu)
    Though it's small, it's our territory. Do you mind someone get in your house and said one of your conor belongs to him . It's the same. We are not over aggressive at all. And actually the island is like an entrance for chinese navi to get into the ocean. Since we are not done with TW yet.we need the entrance. The Chinese was really weak in 19s, because we can't control the sea and can't control the territory. This would never happen anymore. This is a spirit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And the Japanese are going to say the same. Neither side is going to get anywhere saying its ours bugger off. Both sides need to come to a settlement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    And the Japanese are going to say the same. Neither side is going to get anywhere saying its ours bugger off. Both sides need to come to a settlement
    Yeah, that's true. It hard to say who is right or wring. However, do you know what Japan done to us in the WW2? At that time we are not strong enough to protect our country, we have to bear all the things Japan done to us until we won the war. But in nowadays, it's impossible for us to bow to them anymore. Nevrtheless, we just wanna our territory back, ee have no meanings to start a wall. China woukd never be another US. Actually,This island,when exposed to all the media, is not a only an island. It comes to be a champion cup. Who get this seems to be more powerful and can have a better situation when sitting on the table.
    Do you know why Japan choose to expose this island to the whole world in last year? Because that is the time china change our president, the whole society is bit of chaos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lance liu)
    Yeah, that's true. It hard to say who is right or wring. However, do you know what Japan done to us in the WW2? At that time we are not strong enough to protect our country, we have to bear all the things Japan done to us until we won the war. But in nowadays, it's impossible for us to bow to them anymore. Nevrtheless, we just wanna our territory back, ee have no meanings to start a wall. China woukd never be another US. Actually,This island,when exposed to all the media, is not a only an island. It comes to be a champion cup. Who get this seems to be more powerful and can have a better situation when sitting on the table.
    Do you know why Japan choose to expose this island to the whole world in last year? Because that is the time china change our president, the whole society is bit of chaos.
    Why do you feel it is Chinese territory though? As I said above, I'm neutral in this, so I'm just interested in your point of view.

The problem with situations like this, especially when there's no one living there, is that there's no "god given" right small islands like this should belong to any particular country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Why do you feel it is Chinese territory though? As I said above, I'm neutral in this, so I'm just interested in your point of view.

The problem with situations like this, especially when there's no one living there, is that there's no "god given" right small islands like this should belong to any particular country.
    You know the Potsdam declaration?Clause 8 said the terms of Cairo Declaration shall be carried out and Japanese sovereignty shall be limited to the islands of Honshu Hokkaido. Kyushu. Shikoku and such minor islands as we determine.
    Diaoyu is definitely not belong to japan. And according to international convention. Diaoyu is in our territory sea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.