Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

China and the South China Sea Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lets be quite honest here, if it did come to fisticuffs the Chinese would flatten the Japanese quite spectacularly... largest army, nuclear armed, japans half bankrupt as it is, America isnt about to go and slap its banker and if it did Americas economy is gone [much the same as what the americans threatened to do to Britain during Suez]... Japan can only hold on for so long against the behemoth that is China.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Lets be quite honest here, if it did come to fisticuffs the Chinese would flatten the Japanese quite spectacularly... largest army, nuclear armed, japans half bankrupt as it is, America isnt about to go and slap its banker and if it did Americas economy is gone [much the same as what the americans threatened to do to Britain during Suez]... Japan can only hold on for so long against the behemoth that is China.
    Why is it people seem to think China having a large army would help it in what would be primarily a sea battle...

Japan has a lot of debt yes but the whole reason it has not collapsed economically is because it can easily raise money as its own population are quite happy to buy government bonds. It is technologically developed and could quite easily develop a military and nuclear deterrent fast if it needed, the only reason it does not is because it chooses not to. And that is quickly changing, recently Japan just raised its military spending for the first time in a decade.

China itself is in no position to take on America yet and whilst its military is geared towards stopping American entry into a conflict ( not at fighting it directly ) it is not ready for any kind of conflict nor will it be for at least a decade or so.

The fact the Chinese are the biggest American lender ( though not actually as big as some think, Japan holds almost as much ) is a two way street, destroying the American economy will take China down just as quickly. It's dependent on exports, where do most of those go? America. China holding American debt is as relevant to a possible conflict as saying China would launch a nuclear strike on the states, they could do it but it won't happen.

I don't think you should be quite so confident that China would thrash its way through any conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Japan has a lot of debt yes but the whole reason it has not collapsed economically is because it can easily raise money as its own population are quite happy to buy government bonds. It is technologically developed and could quite easily develop a military and nuclear deterrent fast if it needed, the only reason it does not is because it chooses not to. And that is quickly changing, recently Japan just raised its military spending for the first time in a decade.
    Is that strictly true? I heard that Japan is bound via international treaties to only maintain armed forces purely for self defense, due to WW2. If they started developing a huge army and nukes that would clearly be a breach of that and they'd face a lot of pressure to stop, and not just from China.

I don't know the details so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Is that strictly true? I heard that Japan is bound via international treaties to only maintain armed forces purely for self defense, due to WW2. If they started developing a huge army and nukes that would clearly be a breach of that and they'd face a lot of pressure to stop, and not just from China.

I don't know the details so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yeah but the other post mentioned China's nukes, I was just pointing out its easy for Japan to develop nuclear weapons if it was needed. As for their military I don't think many states are going to object to a Japanese military increase given that China is subtly threatening them with its military, sending ships to disputed territory and invading Japanese airspace with their air force. What I posted was more in response to how Japan could react to a Chinese attack rather than what they are going to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Why is it people seem to think China having a large army would help it in what would be primarily a sea battle...
    Who said it would only be a sea battle? ...escalation my dear mod.
    Yes but that is a short term solution long term it doesnt solve anyones problems leaving aside the vast private debt japanese citizens hold aswell.
    i beg to differ on that, unless it received the parts/materials etc. etc. from another country it would take it years to develop a bomb let alone be able to deliver it. Besides its legally obliged not to develop nukes, similar to germany, is it not?
    China itself is in no position to take on America yet and whilst its military is geared towards stopping American entry into a conflict ( not at fighting it directly ) it is not ready for any kind of conflict nor will it be for at least a decade or so.
    The fact the Chinese are the biggest American lender ( though not actually as big as some think, Japan holds almost as much ) is a two way street, destroying the American economy will take China down just as quickly. It's dependent on exports, where do most of those go? America. China holding American debt is as relevant to a possible conflict as saying China would launch a nuclear strike on the states, they could do it but it won't happen.

I don't think you should be quite so confident that China would thrash its way through any conflict.
    I never claimed it could take on america in open war although that being said if nuclear war were left aside america would still not win, it was even shown in recent war games that one swedish submarine [similar to several chinese ones] could decimate one of the american fleets... i would like to see them invade or what have you with no navy...
    i stand by though economically speaking china could crush america utterly, it might be self destructive but america is still more reliant on china than vice a versa in many ways, think how much of the averege americans stuff is made in china from their phones to computers to toys to car parts... besides china has a huge internal market. most of their exports dont go to america? a large amount may do but i think youre forgetting the rest of the world which more than makes up for americas buying...
    well as neither event is likely who cares this is a purely hypothetical scenario is it not?
    Apologies i shouldnt have given the impression it would thrash its way out of a conflict what i meant was that it is doubtful it would come out any worse than the other party given its current status and its rapid rise that is still continuing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.