Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (the title of the thread should read "failed one module")

i've found out that i've failed one of my first year modules at university (it was actually a presentation, rather than an exam). i study a combined honours of journalism and english, and have passed every module so far apart from one.

i'm now wondering, in order to advance to the next year of my course do I have to pass every module, and therefore is is now impossible for me to do so?

ReputationRep:
    How did you manage to fail a module!?

Your question is ridiculous...you should think to yourself if you don't pass every module SHOULD you be progressing onto a second year.

ReputationRep:
    Normally there's a retake period in the summer and marks at capped at 40%. You need to get that 40% otherwise they kick you out. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamespierce0987)
    Normally there's a retake period in the summer and marks at capped at 40%. You need to get that 40% otherwise they kick you out. Simple.
    right, i was sure i'd previously heard that it was possible to advance to the second year if you fail one, possibly even two modules, depending on how many credits they're worth, particularly with the first year, as it doesn't usually count towards your final grade?

ReputationRep:
    Which university do you go to? Each university has different policies, but most of the top universities will not allow you to advance without having achieved the full 120 credits. There is a possibility to go on having failed one module at 30-40% and this is known as a 'compensated pass' - at my uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamespierce0987)
    Which university do you go to? Each university has different policies, but most of the top universities will not allow you to advance without having achieved the full 120 credits. There is a possibility to go on having failed one module at 30-40% and this is known as a 'compensated pass' - at my uni anyway.
    i go to salford. will there be an opportunity to resit the presentation then? i have emailed these same question to my tutors, by the way, but as none are 'in work' at the moment i haven't had a response, which is why i'm asking on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ralph99)
    i go to salford. will there be an opportunity to resit the presentation then? i have emailed these same question to my tutors, by the way, but as none are 'in work' at the moment i haven't had a response, which is why i'm asking on here.
    The answers should be in your student handbook - printed or online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    The answers should be in your student handbook - printed or online.
    thanks, i've just had a response from my tutor and as the presentation was 'only' worth 30% of the overall mark, provided i score highly on the rest of the module's tasks i will be fine. thanks for your (and jamespierce0987's) input.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.