Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help Needed - Criminal Law & Extent of Criminal Liability Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my Criminal Law module exam next week, and when practicing exam papers, one asked this.

"comment on whether the extent of criminal liability is appropriate in these cases."

What does this mean?

Thank you.

C.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're going to need to say which area of criminal law the question is about to get any substantive answer.

However, all it's getting at is - is the law in X area criminalizing conduct that perhaps should not be criminal? For example, the law of theft criminalizes some cases where the defendant has received the 'stolen' property from the victim with the victim's consent and where the transfer of property is not even voidable under the civil law (R v Hinks for example). There are other examples in the context of theft that could be dealt with adequately by the civil law (Davidge v Burnett, perhaps?) Another area might be the law on fraud which criminalizes some relatively innocuous lies.

So for whichever area the question is talking about, just discuss whether criminal liability is too wide referencing the case law. Or perhaps liability could be too *narrow*, although an area of criminal law where that is the case doesn't come to my mind immediately.

ReputationRep:
    i have the same question

mines is based on criminal damage act 1971

but was wondering would we not be critisizin the law in criminal damage as to saying if the criminal liabilty is appropriate

ReputationRep:
    any help please

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.