Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on what is actually a healthy lifestyle... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm fairly new here, more of a lurker than anything :rolleyes:

I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I suffered from an eating disorder for the past 6 years of my life, struggling with binging and then getting rid of what I ate. This led to massive weight gain. I'm now in a place where I control my eating as opposed to it controlling me. The problem is I don't know what is healthy when it comes to losing weight?

My BMI is 43.44 and my BMR is 2000.4

Now I understand that if I eat under 2000kcals and exercise then I will lose weight. What I don't understand is how many calories I should be eating at each meal and what should be making up my calories.

Also, how do I know what a portion is? Its been so long since I ate 'normally' that I don't know what is what anymore. My 'portion' of pasta would probably feed 2-3 people.

And finally, I want to add in some exercise. Being very overweight, going out and running a mile probably won't do me any good. Should I be doing cardio (walking/jogging/cycling) on its own or should I do sit ups and those sorts of exercises as well? I'm also in my 3rd year of uni so its got to be cheap or free. And I have a bit of fear of the gym because people may judge me so no gym!

Any help would be much appreciated. I am on the list to see a dietitian as on the 27th of Dec, but its a 4-6 week wait!

Many Thanks, and Happy new year

a3paper x

ReputationRep:
    If you think about it, 2000Kcal is not a small amount. If you follow standard procedure of a bowl of cereal for breakfast- 300cal, a sandwich for lunch - 500cal, and a large dinner 800cal, you are still at a 400cal deficit.

Don't think about being judged at the gym, everybody starts somewhere! When I go, when I see other overweight people I don't think "ha look at them", I think "good on them". The gym is not as intimidating as it's reputation gives it.

At the gym I go to, I see the same faces week after week, you become friendly with people which makes you happier- which I guess leads to a healthier lifestyle! I guess the gym itself is a little community where everybody just wants to get better

A portion would be different for everybody. When you eat, take it slow and you'll get full but by eating less. Also, a lot of your 'hunger' is actually dehydration, next time you feel hungry, reach for a glass of water instead of a chocolate bar.

Another thing you may want to think about is HIIT, do it once or twice a week and you'll see effects pretty quick!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if you eat exactly 2000 calories then you will probably still lose weight, at least initially. If you weigh more, your body needs more calories to maintain that weight, because there is more weight to lug around.

You can calculate how many calories you need per day to maintain your weight using this formula http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/
    For you, if you're sedentary, then you would need 2400 calories to maintain your weight. If you do some light exercise 1-3 days per week, then that goes up to 2750. Eat fewer calories than that, and you will lose weight.

With regards to portion sizes, I find that 125g (dry weight) does me, with just a bit of sauce on top. If you're doing something alongside it (e.g. a bit of meat) then 70-80g will probably be more like it. I do tend to eat a bit more than my friends though. You will often find that packets of food say that they contain x number of portions, but in my experience they hopelessly underestimate how much people will actually need to eat, just so that the 'calories per portion' bit looks better.

Cycling is a good, low impact form of exercise that won't hurt your joints. I (not a big fan of exercise) find it easy to incorporate into my day because I commute by bike, whereas going to the gym would require a conscious decision on my part to leave my nice, warm house. If it helps, you can get extra large saddles from bike shops.

Bear in mind that with cycling, it burns more calories than walking per hour, but less calories per mile travelled. So, it's better in terms of burning calories than getting the bus to a set destination, but less good than walking.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for you responses

(Original post by Kev.1995)
    That is good to know how to split up the meals.

I guess being at Uni I see all these slim toned guys and girls swanning around in lycra and assume that they would be the only ones at the Uni gym. There is a non Uni gym which maybe would be a better one? Although it is more expensive. I get concious because I sweat bit and go very red when I exercise and worry people would say 'look at the fat girl'. But you portray it a more friendly way. How often do you go?

Thats another of my problems, I don't feel hunger as a normal person would. 8 weeks ago I could tuck away 2 large pizzas and 2l of cola in one sitting so my stomach is really stretched. I am afraid of getting too full but at the same time I seem to be underestimating how much I do need as I eat what I think is a 'normal portion' and I am ready for another meal 2 hours later.

What is HIIT? Would I be able to do it in my room, there isn't much space. I wanted to try zumba but I wouldn't have enough room for that.

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I've never seen that equation before, but it makes a lot of sense. I know the BMR is what you need if you are just going to lie and breathe but didn't know how to adjust for, well, moving!

I don't eat meat (long story, ocd and terrified of food poisoning even if cooked properly), but I read that I should increase protein. I don't eat fish either, but would quorn pose a good enough alternative? I'll weight out the 125g tomorrow and see how that goes. I hear what you mean about per person! I quite like cous cous but a meal is supposedly half a packet!

Thats interesting about the cycling. I have to admit, I bus to town which is a 15-20 min walk, but if walking is that beneficial then I will make that change. I walk to lectures which is a 5 minute not flat walk either way. I try and climb the monster hill every time I come to campus as free exercise, but then I get conscious that people are judging me on my weight and level of fitness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a3paper)
    Thank you both for you responses

Thats another of my problems, I don't feel hunger as a normal person would. 8 weeks ago I could tuck away 2 large pizzas and 2l of cola in one sitting so my stomach is really stretched. I am afraid of getting too full but at the same time I seem to be underestimating how much I do need as I eat what I think is a 'normal portion' and I am ready for another meal 2 hours later.

What is HIIT? Would I be able to do it in my room, there isn't much space. I wanted to try zumba but I wouldn't have enough room for that.

I've never seen that equation before, but it makes a lot of sense. I know the BMR is what you need if you are just going to lie and breathe but didn't know how to adjust for, well, moving!

I don't eat meat (long story, ocd and terrified of food poisoning even if cooked properly), but I read that I should increase protein. I don't eat fish either, but would quorn pose a good enough alternative? I'll weight out the 125g tomorrow and see how that goes. I hear what you mean about per person! I quite like cous cous but a meal is supposedly half a packet!

Thats interesting about the cycling. I have to admit, I bus to town which is a 15-20 min walk, but if walking is that beneficial then I will make that change. I walk to lectures which is a 5 minute not flat walk either way. I try and climb the monster hill every time I come to campus as free exercise, but then I get conscious that people are judging me on my weight and level of fitness.
    HIIT is high intensity interval training, which sounds like my idea of hell, personally. It might get good results, but if it puts you off exercise altogether then it's not going to do much good! Zumba sounds like more fun to me...

I think with portion sizes, there's going to have to be some readjustment, whilst your stomach adjusts to not being so physically full. Try to aim to stop eating when you're no longer hungry, rather than when you're actually full. If you get hungry later, then try to go for a low calorie snack. I have also heard of people drinking lots of soda water (sometimes mixed with sugar free squash), because the gas fills you up (I don't know how true this is - in sports where you have to keep your weight low, lots of nonsense gets bandied about!) If you start to feel light headed, then you do need to eat something (it's a sign of low blood sugar) but other than that you'll be fine if you are sticking to your daily calorie allowance.

With protein, most people eat a lot more than their body actually needs. The RDA is 0.8g per kg of body weight. A lot of the stuff you see on these forums about protein is by people who are bodybuilding and therefore obsessed with the stuff. It's irrelevant to you.
    - eggs. If you really want to keep the calories low, then you can buy 500ml of egg whites in a tetra-pak from the supermarket for £3 - the brand is Two Chicks. That's about 15 egg whites, which excludes most of the fat, because most of the fat is in the yolks.
    - beans. Think outside the box on this one! Birds Eye sell frozen soy beans for instance, which serve as a nice alternative to peas.
    - quinoa is meant to be good for protein, and serves as an alternative to cous cous.

I'm not saying don't cycle (far from it!) but it's something you should be aware of. One of the main reasons that I cycle is because it's quicker than getting the bus. Perhaps you could keep the bike by the front door and use it on days when you're running a bit late, rather than getting the bus. That way, you get a good mix of gentle walking and more intense cycling. You may also like to have a look and see if there are any railway or canal cycle paths near you - they're flat, traffic free and generally quite pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It's great that you want to make a change. You will probably find that by measuring your portion sizes (it says on the back of packets what a portion is, and you should use a set of scales to measure it out). Once you know what a portion is, you can find another way of working it out, such as measuring it by cups rather than scales, as that's a little easier.

You will find, if you overeat, that you will start to lose weight just by doing this at first. It takes a little time to get used to, and it's important not to do everything at once or it will simply be too much.

After you've got your portions sorted, you can start adding in a little exercise every day, a 10 minute walk here, a few star jumps there.. and then you can build them up gradually into proper workouts. That's what I did. I made myself do 10 star jumps every time I got to the bottom of the stairs!

But most importantly, click on the link to "fitness support thread" in my sig, and come and say hi! There are loads of people to chat to who are doing the same thing and have been in similar situations, so definitely come and introduce yourself .

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't give better advice than the posts above! But what you said about being judged at the gym, for the record when I go and see someone overweight working out and really going for it I have absolute respect for them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    That makes sense about protein. I eat eggs and beans (kidney, soy, broad, cannelloni etc.) and I eat chickpeas which is supposed to be good too.

The reason I say walk over cycle is I don't have a bike ... and never have had one so I would probably fail at trying to ride one!

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I went and got a set of kitchen scales today so that should help me initially work out a portion of pasta and rice. I know for rice it is half a cup ... but what is a cup? I do half of my cup and i can't eat it all so I assuming I have large cups!

Yea I have found that now I am not binging I am slowly losing. But I am ready for that to stop and for it to become harder. Plus, needing to lose nearly half my body weight, I will really have to step it up ... whilst trying to ensure I don't get too excited by the scales and venture into another way of disordered eating which I don't want to do!

I will pop by and say hi

(Original post by Dancelikejones)
    I couldn't give better advice than the posts above! But what you said about being judged at the gym, for the record when I go and see someone overweight working out and really going for it I have absolute respect for them!
    Thanks, it does make me feel a little less worried. I think I am going to get my portions and general eating under control first and then in a month I think I will seriously consider joining a gym and go from there. Will definitely use the normal gym over the student one though I think!

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a3paper)
    I went and got a set of kitchen scales today so that should help me initially work out a portion of pasta and rice. I know for rice it is half a cup ... but what is a cup? I do half of my cup and i can't eat it all so I assuming I have large cups!
    On the back of rice it should say "per 100g" or something, if you work it out how many calories are in a cup (it doesn't matter what your "cup" is, as long as it is constant) by weighing it then pouring it in, you should find this is easier .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.