The Student Room Group

Slt job application help

Hi,
I'm new here and in despair. I've been applying for speech therapy jobs through the nhs job website but not getting anywhere. So obv there's something I'm not doing right. I'm hoping someone on here could give me some advice and maybe look at a completed application form.

Anyway, I'm applying for a band 5 job again and I'm bit stuck with these questions:
Awareness of upto date NHS issues, Clinical Governance and its application with therapy.

Maintain own clinical role and be aware of boundaries with other professionals.

Clear vision of role and commitment to the development of the Rehabilitation Service

Thank you
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sara313
Hi,
I'm new here and in despair. I've been applying for speech therapy jobs through the nhs job website but not getting anywhere. So obv there's something I'm not doing right. I'm hoping someone on here could give me some advice and maybe look at a completed application form.

Anyway, I'm applying for a band 5 job again and I'm bit stuck with these questions:
Awareness of upto date NHS issues, Clinical Governance and its application with therapy.

Maintain own clinical role and be aware of boundaries with other professionals.

Clear vision of role and commitment to the development of the Rehabilitation Service

Thank you

Surely you did some units on 'Professional Issues' or 'Clinical and Professional Education' on your degree? I thought this would cover this sort of thing.

I am only applying to become a speech and language therapist, but the second and third points seem fairly straightforward. For example, in terms of boundaries with other professionals, an obvious thing to do is simply list how patients are referred to you. This will depend upon the role you applied for, but if you work with children then you could mention health visitors using early communication screening tools. In addition, I imagine all SLTs refer people to audiologists in the same way.

The rehabilitation thing depends on the job. If you work with stroke patients then rehabilitation is often limited so your job is about providing coping strategies and pushing them to people can provide pastoral support (e.g. charities). But if you work with criminals then rehabilitation is more explicitly to do with preventing or reducing re-offending.

I do not anything about the first statement. I suppose reading through the trust's website is probably a good start to see how and where SLT services fit in. Ditto for the RCSLT.
Reply 2
Thank you. :smile:
Reply 3
If you are newly qualified then your university should be able to give you some support on this. There is shed loads of information out there on clinical governance, have a look about, I find it makes excellent bedtime reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending