Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on which is best? Primarily, I will want to use my tablet for the internet, but also some good games. Which plays bbc iPlayer/itv player/Youtube the best?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Nexus 7 is better in my opinion than Kindle Fire.

If you already have Android or iOS devices, I'd stick with the eco system you're already involved with. Else, N7/KFHD > iPad Mini.

ReputationRep:
    Agree totally with the above poster, let me reinforce though how much the kindle fire HD sucks. Its got the specs on paper, but unless you love Amazon and their services like lovefilm its far behind the nexus 7 in capabilities. I'd advise strongly for you to not get it.

ReputationRep:
    iPad mini by far. Kindles are for books mainly. If the iPad isn't an option then the nexus 7 is your only other option.

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    iPad mini by far. Kindles are for books mainly. If the iPad isn't an option then the nexus 7 is your only other option.

Posted from TSR iPad
    Not quite, you're getting the types of kindle confused. The eink based kindles are for books, but the kindle fire range are tablets designed for the same stuff as any other tablet.

Although, having said that, I would strongly advise getting the nexus over the kindle fire. The fire is a good tablet but it's too heavily locked into amazons services, whereas with the nexus you can use it however you want.

ReputationRep:
    Id go for the iPad mini, i find the amazon app store isnt something to get excited by especially for a tablet. Nexus 7 is another option for you, i had the choice between nexus 7 and ipad mini but i went for the mini only because i wanted an ios device rather than all the android ones i have.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the nexus 7 if you're looking for a smaller tablet. If you have your heart set on either the mini or the fire HD then I'd go for the mini.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice. I'm going to look into the Nexus and then decide between that and the mini.

ReputationRep:
    iPad mini. The fire is heavily locked into amazon's ecosystem. The iPad is also locked into apple's ecosystem but to be fair Apple have the best in terms of apps, music, videos and games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My brother and dad have Nexus 7's and Kindle Fire HD's respectively and my mum has an Ipad.
    I can easily say after using all three a fair bit and on their prices, that N7 is defiantly most versatile, most powerful and joint cheapest. The KF HD is also pretty good but isn't quite as good as the N7, but amazon do still provide a good range of stuff so it isn't too bad and is also nice and cheap. The Ipad Mini for me is far too expensive for what it does, I'd say its about on par with the KF HD but is £100 more and its only feature which it beats the KF HD in is aesthetics.

ReputationRep:
    iPad > iPad Mini = Nexus 7 (whichever ecosystem you prefer/are in at the moment) > Kindle Fire HD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    iPad > iPad Mini = Nexus 7 (whichever ecosystem you prefer/are in at the moment) > Kindle Fire HD
    10" android > 7" android > kindle fire > ipad > ipad mini

Aren't subjective opinions fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1909)
    10" android > 7" android > kindle fire > ipad > ipad mini

Aren't subjective opinions fun!
    Most people agree that the Fire is just a storefront for Amazon content, and no matter how much you think it's cool to hate Apple, it is not a better device. Your use of "android", when there are many appaling, cheap android tablets out there, rather than specifying the good Nexus, Tab etc ones, shows some blind fanboyism that doesn't help the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    Most people agree that the Fire is just a storefront for Amazon content, and no matter how much you think it's cool to hate Apple, it is not a better device. Your use of "android", when there are many appaling, cheap android tablets out there, rather than specifying the good Nexus, Tab etc ones, shows some blind fanboyism that doesn't help the OP.
    I wasn't making a specific point about any specific tablets, I was just stating that making sweeping based opinionated comments with no stated reasoning doesn't help anybody at all.

The point is that my comment was exactly as useful as your first comment - not at all useful.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't making a specific point about any specific tablets, I was just stating that making sweeping based opinionated comments with no stated reasoning doesn't help anybody at all.

The point is that my comment was exactly as useful as your first comment - not at all useful.
    My comment agreed with previous reasoned responses that the Fire was rubbish and the OP should pick the Nexus 7 if they want an android tablet. Anyone can go and look at proper review if they want to know the pros and cons of all the tablets, I was being helpful in suggesting they should make their decision depending on which ecosystem they prefered/was most familiar with/had all the apps from already.

ReputationRep:
    I personally hate the Android System. It's buggy, it's slow and its messy. You can't keep up on things ie where they go, how to get back, etc. I find also that any android battery life is pretty bad. Want my advice? Get the mini, so light and perfect in one hand, battery life is miles better than anything I have ever seen, the iOS system is easy to use and has tonnes more apps. And you get what you pay for. £130 kindle, plastic, cheap and nasty, good for about 2 android updates. £270 iOS device, quality feel, made of high quality stuff and usually gets you about 2 or 3 major updates. (eg iPhone 3GS, launched with iOS 3, runs iOS 6. And you get all the little .x updates aswell.) Worth every penny!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnnyboy360)
    I personally hate the Android System. It's buggy, it's slow and its messy. You can't keep up on things ie where they go, how to get back, etc. I find also that any android battery life is pretty bad. Want my advice? Get the mini, so light and perfect in one hand, battery life is miles better than anything I have ever seen, the iOS system is easy to use and has tonnes more apps. And you get what you pay for. £130 kindle, plastic, cheap and nasty, good for about 2 android updates. £270 iOS device, quality feel, made of high quality stuff and usually gets you about 2 or 3 major updates. (eg iPhone 3GS, launched with iOS 3, runs iOS 6. And you get all the little .x updates aswell.) Worth every penny!!

A notice to anyone reading this thread - Absolutely nothing this poster said about android is true.

The amount of fanboy-ism in the post is painful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnnyboy360)

The newer android devices ( nexus 7, s3, Note 2, Nexus 4) are not buggy or laggy. Also I find that it's easier to organise and find things on android devices than it is with iOS. However that said iOS is still a lot smoother and simpler than any android device I've ever used. As I've said before the kindle fire is very limited and isn't a good representation of the android operating system as it is heavily customised by amazon. I own a nexus 7 and an iPod touch and both are excellent devices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nexus 7 beats kindle fire drastically. Kindle fires may seem good but really they are extremely restricted in their software. You only have the option to go onto the amazon store which has a small selection of apps available to download. This is in contrast to the nexus which as the Google play store, which is absolutely filled with apps, plus the nexus 7 is far more powerful.

However the iPad mini is a good option, i have one and i would say the screen size is perfect for what i use it for, its light and extremely powerful. In the end however it will come down to which OS you like best, android or iOS. Just remember the google nexus has a far more open version of android.

ReputationRep:
    A notice to anyone reading this thread - Absolutely nothing this poster said about android is true.

The amount of fanboy-ism in the post is painful!
    Typical fanboy retaliation...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.