Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I get mixed messages.

On one hand, I see that we are meant to be drunk 80% of the time in order to get any social factor: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2206465.

On the other hand I get the vibe that it is a university for non-drinkers and the 'normal' sort: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2180236

I'm personally not very fond of the idea of getting smashed, as I've never drunk before (but I'm open to it). Primarily I'm just looking for really nice, cool friends. I already have an unconditional offer for the Discrete maths course, so it would be cool if I could get in touch with current/prospective/hopeful students for that course or related e.g. maths, maths + physics etc.

Also, does the social life vary by accommodation much? I remember for manchester (?) that the social life varies enormously from accom to accom e.g. one block had the drinking socials, whilst another block was the quiet block etc.

It would be brilliant if I could get responses from current students, thanks all

ReputationRep:
    They say that Rootes accommodation is the party place, but I don't know how true that is.

As someone who doesn't drink and by most people's standards is pretty boring, I get on well at Warwick uni.
    If you're equally boring, I'm sure you'll do okay too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iknowi2)
    I get mixed messages.

On one hand, I see that we are meant to be drunk 80% of the time in order to get any social factor: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2206465.

On the other hand I get the vibe that it is a university for non-drinkers and the 'normal' sort: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2206465

I'm personally not very fond of the idea of getting smashed, as I've never drunk before (but I'm open to it). Primarily I'm just looking for really nice, cool friends. I already have an unconditional offer for the Discrete maths course, so it would be cool if I could get in touch with current/prospective/hopeful students for that course or related e.g. maths, maths + physics etc.

Also, does the social life vary by accommodation much? I remember for manchester (?) that the social life varies enormously from accom to accom e.g. one block had the drinking socials, whilst another block was the quiet block etc.

It would be brilliant if I could get responses from current students, thanks all
    Both ur links are the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    Both ur links are the same
    fixed can you offer any insight?

ReputationRep:
    fixed can you offer any insight?
    I don't actually go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    They say that Rootes accommodation is the party place, but I don't know how true that is.

As someone who doesn't drink and by most people's standards is pretty boring, I get on well at Warwick uni.
    If you're equally boring, I'm sure you'll do okay too.
    Wow.. well you definitely just completely confirmed all of my preconceived notions about life at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nugiboy)
    Wow.. well you definitely just completely confirmed all of my preconceived notions about life at Warwick.
    Believe me though, I'm not your average kid.
    Most people do much more of that party stuff than I (espc the ones who live out in Leamington from year 2 onwards!)
    But anyone who's not interested in all that stuff will also get on fine.
    You can do what you want really, it's an all-encompassing kind of place
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Your social life at Warwick is what you make of it. If you want to go partying every night, trust me, there's more of that than you can handle. If you don't want to go drinking every night, trust me, there's more of that than you can imagine as well. The university's an absolutely massive place, with over 300 societies and sports clubs, 20,000 students and two well-equipped towns near-by, you simply cannot judge the university of the opinions of a few, because, let's be honest, how are they going to have sampled it all?

When you apply for accommodation, you need to write a short 'personal statement', basically describing who you are. The accommodation team with then try their best to match you up with like-minded people. However, if you ask me, you don't write about yourself, you write about the people you most want to live with. If you say you like partying 7 days a week, you are not going to be put with people who say they never want to go out. If you never want to go out, then you will not be put with people that go out seven days a week! People are only aware of the circumstances that affect them - if you're a big drinker, you're not going to care, or even know about, the people who don't drink, and what's available to them.

Anyway, in terms of drinking/clubbing activities on campus, yes, Warwick might be a little lame, however, with Kasbah, Evolve, Smack and many other pubs/bars/clubs in Coventry and Leamington, your social life isn't going to go dry. If you end up with flatmates who don't go out clubbing ever, get involved in a sports team! They visit Pop! every Wednesday (where you basically turn up, play relatively cheap drinking games for 3 hours and then dance to some cheesy 90s pop music), which makes those 9ams on Thursday, a noooo go! Alternatively, loads of societies visit places in Leamington, Coventry to drink and eat food (all societies listed here, all sports clubs listed here).

On the other end of the spectrum, you simply do not have to drink if you don't want to! You're university students now, you can do (and not do) whatever you like. Sports teams are happy to accommodate non-drinkers at Pop! (you'll still end up with a splitting headache in the morning most like, but that's probably due to the noise than the alcohol :lol:), many, many societies (all listed in the link above) put on socials where you don't have to drink/drinking's not even involved! You can simply turn up for the fun! (notably, the student cinema runs pretty much 7 days a week, so there's always people around and no drinking involved! Archery runs 3/4 times a week just for practice. You can get a job with WWS if you fancy earning money while helping the university. Then there's every society that put on weekly events). You're not going to get bored in between all the work you're gonna have to do!

As has been said above, you can do what you want. There's stuff there for everybody. It's those people who think non-drinkers are boring/those that think drinkers are boring, that have a narrow, one-sided, clouded judgement which give Warwick it's reputation

ReputationRep:
    I get mixed messages.

On the other hand I get the vibe that it is a university for non-drinkers and the 'normal' sort: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2180236

Hey I've also got an offer to study Discrete Maths at Warwick
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I get mixed messages.

Hey, I'm first year Warwick for straight maths

There really is a variation and as Nirgilis said the social life really is what you make of it. My block doesn't go out loads, my floor especially. However we still do go out. I have been out with about 5 other accommodation blocks from around the university and it has been different every time!

When you apply you will fill in a personal statement thing saying what you like doing. I put on mine that I don't want to be going out every night and partying all the time, but I still want a social group of people who will go out (or something like that). I ended up pretty much with what I asked for. I live with people who like going out and we have, to Leam/Coventry and the SU, but not every night. Maybe twice a week?

It really is what you want it to be. You don't have to be smashed every night! I personally haven't thrown up yet however one of the blocks i've been out with had a "chunder chart" and at least 75% of people had thrown up!

ReputationRep:
    I get mixed messages.

I've got an offer for discrete maths too *whoop whoop* (conditional though ) good to meet a fellow discrete mathematician, there don't seem to be that many of us around

I've heard that warwick is quite good for non-drinkers so i'm hoping this is true (i don't drink for religious reasons)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilmzbest)
    I've got an offer for discrete maths too *whoop whoop* (conditional though ) good to meet a fellow discrete mathematician, there don't seem to be that many of us around

I've heard that warwick is quite good for non-drinkers so i'm hoping this is true (i don't drink for religious reasons)
    Hey, it seems as though more of us are popping up. Non-drinker, nice to know

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone above for the long, detailed replies. Very reassuring +rep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.