Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For those that are studying at UC's in the Netherlands, or have any knowledge on the subject, which UC's would you recommend and why? What is the ranking, teaching and the institution like as a whole?
    I have researched a few UC's myself, however some input would be appreciated, as there's not much information out there.

I'm aware of UCU, course-wise it seems to be everything that I'm looking for. The only issue is accomodation fees, and as I understand students cannot stay on campus during the holidays. Is there anyway around this?

The 2nd option was LUC. Now I'm a little confused on the course content here, considering the layout is not at all similar to any of the other UC's I've seen. Are there not seperate subject components like the other UC's?

Ideally, I'd also prefer a campus based uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I've applied to UCU and AUC (Amsterdam University College) and I have visited both of them during the Open days.

AUC: Located in the Science Park area of Amsterdam, very close to the train station. The building is brand new and really modern and the accomodation building is just on the other side of the road. Most of the rooms are single, however you can share a room with someone (basicly you share just bathroom and a kitchen) for the same price as single one. But the advantage of that is that you get much bigger room. Also if I remember right, you can stay in accomodation during summer. Everyone is extremely nice there and ready to help, you can feel the community spirit. However the things I didn't like is that it's a single building, not a full campus (apart from accomodation) and there is nothing much to do around the college. Also there are just few extra curriculum activities. One important thing: none of the rooms are with furniture, so you have to buy everything yourself.

UCU: The courses at both unis are pretty much the same. UCU is located in the university area of Utrecht. There is also a strong community spirit as both colleges are rather small. Personally, I liked UCU more, and it's my priority atm. It is ranked number 1 Bachelor programme in the Netherlands which also raises it in my eyes. I like the campus atmospehre and the sence of history. UCU provides a huge range of different activities such as drama, dancing, different kind of sports etc. Utrecht is basicly a student town, and it's just half an hour train ride from Amsterdam so it's a perfect location. There are no self-catered rooms, everyone has to go to the Dining hall, but I think this is much easier for most of the students and it's the way of communication as well. The only thing I didn't like, is that oyu have to change your room every year, as all the room are different sizes, so you have an experience of all of them. However there is a basic furniture in all of them. You share the living room, the laundary and 1-2 bathrooms with either 4/6/11 people.

I hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.