Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad mould growth in room and house. Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my pretty small room I have started to see a rapid increase in the growth of mould. It is black and mainly coming from the ceiling and is growing in the top corners of the ceiling.
    Spores and other horrible moulds are growing as it expands we have tried cleaning it but it just comes back. Should I try bleach?

I have been reading about mould but I don't think I can do anything about it. And my family are too ignorant to do anything about it. I feel it is having an affect on my throat and I have read how it can cause illness.

Should I buy a dehumidifier. I really can't afford one. Not sure if it would even work

We know nothing of how to get rid of it. If it is helpful I cant try and upload photos of the mould.

Should I go to the doctors can they prescribe me something to help me out? I really don't know what to do. Its growing way too fast.

Thanks for your time.

ReputationRep:
    A dehumidifier should help. We had mould in our bathroom but a dehumidifer has pretty much cleared it all up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    A dehumidifier should help. We had mould in our bathroom but a dehumidifer has pretty much cleared it all up.
    How much are they? We are really poor...

We have a lot of mould how do I get it off of the wall?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Clean the mould off using bleach. Then, make sure your room is well heated and also ventilated. Opening a window, even in the winter, is key to keeping houses dry. So open that window for half an hour and cope with it. Also try to keep clothes drying in your room to a minimum.

If you do all of these things and you're still having problems then consider the dehumidifier but don't jump to that in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    You need to be really careful with things like this because it can cause respiratory problems ( breathing problems ) the trick is like people said before is keep it well heated / ventilated... If it keeps coming back !! There maybe an underlining problem somewhere; maybe a leak !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think your ceiling may have a leak in it... presumably from the roof or a leaky pipe. Try and find out how the mould started growing.

Use Dettol/bleach to thoroughly clean it. Then dry it thoroughly with a dry cloth. If it's a problem with the house, and not a one-off problem, then the mould will return. In which case, you need to get whatever's above your room inspected and repaired. Hope this isn't the case though! Happened to me before.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.