Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In two minds about this.

Wasn't in a system that allowed resists of exams or resubmittance of work, so initial impressions are that the system would make people lazy as they have the ability to have another go. Wouldn't effect the 'academics'/people that study hard from the start, and the lazy buggers would be lazy buggers, but it is the marks of the in-betweeners that would be inflated.

Surely under the current system the final results of many students are not reflective of their 'true' academic ability? In that they could be given a piece of work to do or something to study for a once off presentation/seminar/other, and would not perform to as high a standard (in most cases) as their school marks would reflect they might? Which of course is what counts in actual jobs, doing the job right the first time.

I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    People make mistakes. People change. They should be allowed to resit or retake the exams. Why are you in such a hurry?

Not catastrophic mistakes like killing or raping someone - you can't recover from these mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member591354)
    Maybe I don't care about others? Betrayal hurts, you know?
    Through that statement, I think we all agree that you're kind of just a psychopath.

You are not truly against resits, you are just angry at the world and have an unresolved issue with others. Sort that out first.

ReputationRep:
    Unis can see if you're resitting an AS module and your original grade and some take this into account. I'm resitting a physics module to get an A because I was 3 marks short and ran out of time. Between my ASs in June and now I've been told I have a learning difficulty and require extra time in my exams, is that my fault? No, some how my teachers have managed to miss this over my last 13 years in education and apparently has cost me approximately 1 grade in all the exams I've sat, if I wasn't able to resit I might not get into my first choice uni. However I do disagree with excessive resits and resitting an entire year without 'exceptional circumstances'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Partially agree to disagree, people have extenuating circumstances or other reasons they did badly, everybody deserves a second chance, I agree with capping resits to an extent though, getting rid of January modules is just retarded though.
    I agree! Re-sits should be allowed and I can't believe someone would say
    Why would I jeopardise my reputation for some measly months extra? I am committed and work hard for examinations the first time; I do not make excuses for poor performance or laziness. Someone dies, so? It happens all the time. :rolleyes:
    Everyone deserves a second chance. Yes, maybe a system where you can have a limited number of re-sits or having the re-sit declared would be fairer.

I might get negged for this but I'm gonna put it in anyway. Being so sarcastic about it isn't helping. Congrta son doing well on every first attempt. But that does not happen to everyone (due to illness, family issues, etc) so they should be given a second chance. Why say something so selfish, whatever your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Stop bloody bragging:rolleyes:
    Maybe this was an elaborately constructed ruse so OP could brag about their grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Partially agree to disagree, people have extenuating circumstances or other reasons they did badly, everybody deserves a second chance, I agree with capping resits to an extent though, getting rid of January modules is just retarded though.
    Capping resits would not prevent resits for a higher mark. It's like with university; if you fail you can either resit for a capped mark or pay to go to a new university. Same would happen with sixth form, if you fail you could just pay to redo your exams from scratch privately. Therefore it would end up just disadvantaging the poorer children. Poorer children would be doubly disadvantaged because they are the ones who get the worse education. Someone from a public school is far less likely to fail in the first place. I went to a comp that's on special measures now, the teachers never turned up, I had to learn everything by myself and I ended up with a B in January. I retook the exams in June and came out with A*. banning resits would deny people like me who when given the chance can come out with a top grade that chance just because of crap schools. Furthermore I believe that sixth form is too young a time to put so much pressure on young people.

ReputationRep:
    It is simple; you are far inferior to someone who got the same grade as you if they got it the first time round and you had three tries or even one for that matter! Perhaps a penalty should be applied whereby if you resit you get deducted a certain number of marks - it is unfair when resit candidates artificially raise the grade boundaries when they have had longer to learn the content for a module than people who work hard for it the first time! They should not be allowed to resit and face the consequences of their laziness or sit a separate examination. Enough said.
    What about people with learning difficulties? Obviously this is all complete nonsense anyway but I just thought I'd throw that in there.

(Original post by Barden)
    Why? Someone who gets an A the second time around is more qualified than another who gets a B in their first go.

It doesn't matter how long it takes them to learn. The point of any qualification is to learn.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    Capping resits would not prevent resits for a higher mark. It's like with university; if you fail you can either resit for a capped mark or pay to go to a new university. Same would happen with sixth form, if you fail you could just pay to redo your exams from scratch privately. Therefore it would end up just disadvantaging the poorer children. Poorer children would be doubly disadvantaged because they are the ones who get the worse education. Someone from a public school is far less likely to fail in the first place. I went to a comp that's on special measures now, the teachers never turned up, I had to learn everything by myself and I ended up with a B in January. I retook the exams in June and came out with A*. banning resits would deny people like me who when given the chance can come out with a top grade that chance just because of crap schools. Furthermore I believe that sixth form is too young a time to put so much pressure on young people.
    This is what I'm talking about... I had to resit my maths gcse 3 times (although not alevel honestly) I got DDB, and now I'm doing maths and further maths, in the context of alevel, imagine if I did not have those resits, that would be detrimental. Furthermore I totally agree with you, the teaching at my state school is so bad, they teach you the bare minimum to get a high B in maths, the rest is up to you (fair play) my history teacher never marks my essays (she's got to mark like 5 of mine over this Christmas term) and my economics teacher teaches us stuff not on the spec... At a public school your much likely to have top professional teachers that know how to get from point A to B and from lower grade to higher grade.
    And yeah as you said I think everybody deserves a second chance not 4chances... maybe 3 if you have circumstances, but 4 is too much thats like AS january, AS summer, A2 january A2 summer lol.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I'm talking about... I had to resit my maths gcse 3 times (although not alevel honestly) I got DDB, and now I'm doing maths and further maths, in the context of alevel, imagine if I did not have those resits, that would be detrimental. Furthermore I totally agree with you, the teaching at my state school is so bad, they teach you the bare minimum to get a high B in maths, the rest is up to you (fair play) my history teacher never marks my essays (she's got to mark like 5 of mine over this Christmas term) and my economics teacher teaches us stuff not on the spec... At a public school your much likely to have top professional teachers that know how to get from point A to B and from lower grade to higher grade.
    And yeah as you said I think everybody deserves a second chance not 4chances... maybe 3 if you have circumstances, but 4 is too much thats like AS january, AS summer, A2 january A2 summer lol.
    Yeah true, some people just take the piss. Had this one guy in my class that did nothing but play on his Gameboy He was doing A level chemistry for like 5 years :|

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has bad days. Familiy issues, illness or whatever. Some people are given longer to learn the content because they sit the exam in june rather january with the earlier sitters. Without resit it just turns into a system of luck of hoping you've had the perfect day and your school lets you sit the exam as late as possible in the year so you have the maximum time to learn it.

ReputationRep:
    I agreed try should be capped and also universities see them anyway do the argument that its not fair if someone did well first time around has no place as uni's can see retakes so they know of you passed first time. I also think that if you don't do as well as you would have likes then what just drop out I'd school. People deserve second chances people who I know who need to retake have good reasons mmy friends mum had act rash and she had to care for her and got lower than her predicted grades in most of her subjects that's not her fault at all.
    Other people need a wake up call you jut realise we are still young and the exams we take today sometimes I feel are quite in a way unfair as they determine so much of your future and we are still only quite young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuziieB)
    Through that statement, I think we all agree that you're kind of just a psychopath.

You are not truly against resits, you are just angry at the world and have an unresolved issue with others. Sort that out first.

ReputationRep:
    Muffacker this penalty **** won't work, think of those people who keep resitting a driving test like 7 times on the 8th time they pass, you want to make them inferior, so lets revoke the licence?

I don't care anyways , just throwing my 50 pence in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do not suppose you know my mind. Foolish generalisations and predictions by a moron. How original. :rolleyes:
    "Nevermind. I will just ignore this thread."

Sorry for assuming, but it seems pretty clear cut from where i'm sitting.

Insulting people will get you nowhere

ReputationRep:
    Resits at my university are capped at 40% which is the pass rate, you cant get any higher than a pass.

ReputationRep:
    It's patently obvious that the way you feel on a certain day may present your knowledge of a given subject in a way that is not representative of your usual standard. When you consider that all it takes is undue amounts of stress, tiredness, a headache, an upset stomach, etc, to disrupt your exam scores, suddenly an exam seems to be a rather bad way of assessing your knowledge. An exam will never make you appear better than you actually are (it's impossible to present knowledge that you don't actually have), but they can easily make you appear worse than you really are. It is fairly sensible then that at the very least extraneous variables disrupting your scores are offset by allowing repeated attempts in the same conditions.

Personally I'd scrap exams. Coursework essays (and for sciences, research projects) are far better at demonstrating the everyday skills that you would use in the workplace. Life isn't about demonstrating how much you can squeeze out of your brain in a 60 minute period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaritymolecule)
    Modular exams and coursework should not be allowed either, stupid Idea. Why would anyone change from the Olevel system? Seriously, coursework is so stupid. They should make GCSEs more detailed and remove coursework and make them all linear. This would differentiate between the proper intelligent people and the people who get thier mummy and daddies who have a PhD to do all the coursework for them
    Ah yes, those smart people with PhDs, who of course had to sit an exam at the end of their PhD to prove they were smart. And this was after their masters where they had an exam and no type of coursework, not even an extended essay/research paper. Following from their undergraduate degree which again was totally exams based.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Erm...there is.
    erm...not really. The uni rules are as follows:

If you fail an exam at uni, you can retake it but your marks are capped at 40%. Compare this to A Levels, whereby if you fail, your marks are not capped and you can still achieve an "A" even if you fail the first time.

If you barely pass an exam, say you get 41%, there is no option to retake the exam, but rather, you must accept the grade. Compare this to A Levels, whereby if you just pass an exam, you can still retake it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Maybe this was an elaborately constructed ruse so OP could brag about their grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what I think too, they made a good job of letting everybody know how much of a douche they are rather than a modest intelligent person :rollseyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.