Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Really worried that I'm only doing 3 AS Levels now :( watch

ReputationRep:
    I dropped my 4th AS Level because I really did not enjoy it :/ I am now stuck doing 3 subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Physics).

I was hoping to either go to Manchester or Newcastle to study Chemical Engineering with an Integrated foundation year(due to lack of maths).

I have just looked on the stalking pages for various UNIs and have seen that nearly ALL applicants have 4 AS levels Will this hinder my application?

Could I take up an AS Level in Upper sixth?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, did you drop maths? Why?
    It is definitely possible to pick up an extra AS in the A2 year, I picked up biology. It may depend on your sixth form though, I was only allowed to do it because they had space - preference went to those taking the AS at the normal time.
    Technically, you only need 3 A2s to get into a top university, so some may not mind about the lack of the 4th AS as long as your other grades are very good and you have done lots of extra reading, chemistry competitions, extra-curriculars - these can help your application and allow you to write an excellent personal statement and may make up for the lack of the 4th AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    It is definitely possible to pick up an extra AS in the A2 year, I picked up biology. It may depend on your sixth form though, I was only allowed to do it because they had space - preference went to those taking the AS at the normal time.
    Technically, you only need 3 A2s to get into a top university, so some may not mind about the lack of the 4th AS as long as your other grades are very good and you have done lots of extra reading, chemistry competitions, extra-curriculars - these can help your application and allow you to write an excellent personal statement and may make up for the lack of the 4th AS.
    extra curriculars matter very little when applying to university

ReputationRep:
    Nope I dropped Business studies but I am now doing Add maths GCSE this year and then hopefully AS Maths next year. Did you take up Biology to make up for a 4th AS?

ReputationRep:
    Take an extended project. A lot of uni's allow this in place of a 4th AS

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaritymolecule)
    I dropped my 4th AS Level because I really did not enjoy it :/ I am now stuck doing 3 subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Physics).

I was hoping to either go to Manchester or Newcastle to study Chemical Engineering with an Integrated foundation year(due to lack of maths).

I have just looked on the stalking pages for various UNIs and have seen that nearly ALL applicants have 4 AS levels Will this hinder my application?

u are going to struggle with your course, let alone your application, applying for engineering without maths/ fm

ReputationRep:
    Nope I dropped Business studies but I am now doing Add maths GCSE this year and then hopefully AS Maths next year. Did you take up Biology to make up for a 4th AS?
    Just state that very, very clearly in your PS and get your referee to mention it too.

ReputationRep:

Can you not self teach maths from now till may?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUbermensche)
    Just state that very, very clearly in your PS and get your referee to mention it too.
    Im applyingg for it with a foundation year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    Can you not self teach maths from now till may?
    would it realistically be possible?

ReputationRep:
    Im applyingg for it with a foundation year
    would it realistically be possible?
    oh, sorry, awkward, didn't read that part

yes, teaching yourself as maths is entirely possible from now til may

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boner in jeans)
    oh, sorry, awkward, didn't read that part

yes, teaching yourself as maths is entirely possible from now til may
    What modules would you recommend I take and how many hours per night should I dedicate towards it?

ReputationRep:
    What modules would you recommend I take and how many hours per night should I dedicate towards it?
    C1-4 plus m1 s1, maybe fp1

1-2 hours per night, make sure you know all the content and after that, it's just hitting the past papers

ReputationRep:
    So I guess you just discovered science is more your thing! Add maths will probably be useful, I would definitely recommend AS Maths next year - Add maths will make it easier too
    Nope, I took up Biology as an ... 8th AS. 'Cause I'm crazy :P Thought it might be useful seeing as I'm applying for Natural Sciences at uni, plus I kind of missed it from GCSE - I really should have taken AS Biology last year instead of French!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    extra curriculars matter very little when applying to university
    But if you were in a national team or something, they may realise that OP didn't drop the 4th AS because they couldn't cope with the workload, but because they had more important things to do with their time than business studies.

ReputationRep:
    But if you were in a national team or something, they may realise that OP didn't drop the 4th AS because they couldn't cope with the workload, but because they had more important things to do with their time than business studies.
    that suggests then that they might not be fully committed to whatever they study at uni. extra curriculars are always worth a brief mention in terms of skills gained but the actual EC's themselves are of little importance as unis know not everyone gets the same opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    that suggests then that they might not be fully committed to whatever they study at uni. extra curriculars are always worth a brief mention in terms of skills gained but the actual EC's themselves are of little importance as unis know not everyone gets the same opportunities.
    That may depend on the university, I guess. But probably true now I think about it. ECs are still worth doing if you enjoy them though

ReputationRep:
    Along with the advice given here, have a word with your school's careers advisor, or whoever handles these sorts of things. If you're clear with the course you'd like to do, they'll be able to give you more long-term advice, and perhaps even get your teachers to give you extra revision sessions after school. They will also more likely write you a good reference on the UCAS form if they understand what you're doing and know you're committed.

Do you have school email? This can be helpful. I think it's important to use all resources available to you, and your teachers should be able to help if you make it clear that you know what you want. It's annoying that you dropped maths, but with a foundation year, it's possible.

A-level/FSMQ maths isn't necessarily about studying for a certain number of hours a day until the test. Learn the content, and do lots of past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boner in jeans)
    C1-4 plus m1 s1, maybe fp1

1-2 hours per night, make sure you know all the content and after that, it's just hitting the past papers
    Are you kidding?

AS AND A2 Maths with a possible further maths module from now until May on top of his AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hormonal)
    Are you kidding?

AS AND A2 Maths with a possible further maths module from now until May on top of his AS levels?
    with 1/2 hours a night and 4/5 hours on the weekends like OP said, it's entirely possible... o.o

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.