Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are my lips too big girls? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    Oh my god you people are unbelievable. I'm left-wing but like The Guardian sometimes this site is too left-wing. Link anything to race and people scream racist. I don't see what is so hard to understand that his lip size has everything to do with his race? I suggest you go read a biology book.

Agreed. Your point makes a lot of sense.

To the OP, what he's basically saying is that your lips suit you due to your features, but they wouldn't if you had different features.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Agreed. Your point makes a lot of sense.

To the OP, what he's basically saying is that your lips suit you due to your features, but the wouldn't if you had different features.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. I'd rep you if I had any left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    Thank you. I'd rep you if I had any left.
    Simple question if you had seen a white person with big lips would you have said "they're too big cause your white?". Probably not you would have simply said they are and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    For your ethnicity they are not big. You should know this already...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    For your ethnicity they are not big. You should know this already...
    I'm not asking for my ethnicity I am asking whether it's big or not. What am I blind did I miss the part in the question where I wrote " in relation to my race". Simply writing "yes I think it's big" or "no I don't is too hard now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theworriedone)
    I'm not asking for my ethnicity I am asking whether it's big or not. What am I blind did I miss the part in the question where I wrote " in relation to my race". Simply writing "yes I think it's big" or "no I don't is too hard now?
    yes I think its big.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, some people seriously take any mention of race far too seriously! S.R. wasn't being racist and for the record, I completely agree. For a black person/a person of your race, no your lips aren't too big. For you, they look completely normal and no-one would think anything different. However, my white boyfriend wouldn't look 'normal' if his lips were that size and so yes, they would be too big. Whether you like it or not, there is an element of your question that comes down to race because the way that you look is judged a certain amount by your race because race determines a lot more about you than your skin colour - your eyes, hair, lips and other facial features are all affected by your race. It's like if I asked if I had quite dark skin... well for a white British person, yes I am a bit darker than normal but I'm not completely white British, because my mum is Mediterranean, I have darker skin than your average white British person, as well as really dark hair, eyes etc. Do I take it personally when a person says that they can see the Mediterranean descent in me because of those things? No, because it's a part of who I am and it impacts on the way that I look, pure and simple. You're asking a question expecting a simple yes or no answer when there isn't a simple yes or no answer, it's a no because... answer. S.R. wasn't racist or offensive, just saying that it's completely normal for a black person to have larger lips like you do... so no, they're not too big. If you were white, it would be a different story.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, they're not big at all. They look nice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Eritrean which is right next to Ethiopia and Somalia and people from there normally don't have big lips. Not all black people are the same dumbass. Don't make this about race it was an individual question.
    I'm black and I wasn't offended. p

ReputationRep:
    You know you have big lips why make a thread about it? You cannot be that oblivious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanadesse)
    Oh god, some people seriously take any mention of race far too seriously! S.R. wasn't being racist and for the record, I completely agree. For a black person/a person of your race, no your lips aren't too big. For you, they look completely normal and no-one would think anything different. However, my white boyfriend wouldn't look 'normal' if his lips were that size and so yes, they would be too big. Whether you like it or not, there is an element of your question that comes down to race because the way that you look is judged a certain amount by your race because race determines a lot more about you than your skin colour - your eyes, hair, lips and other facial features are all affected by your race. It's like if I asked if I had quite dark skin... well for a white British person, yes I am a bit darker than normal but I'm not completely white British, because my mum is Mediterranean, I have darker skin than your average white British person, as well as really dark hair, eyes etc. Do I take it personally when a person says that they can see the Mediterranean descent in me because of those things? No, because it's a part of who I am and it impacts on the way that I look, pure and simple. You're asking a question expecting a simple yes or no answer when there isn't a simple yes or no answer, it's a no because... answer. S.R. wasn't racist or offensive, just saying that it's completely normal for a black person to have larger lips like you do... so no, they're not too big. If you were white, it would be a different story.
    Ffs WHERE ANYWHERE on this thread did ANYONE say he was being racist. Quote it PLEASE. I have said this a billion times now yes it does have to with yes it is a factor but my question was if my lips are big....not for a black,white,asian or flipping alien just generally. I asked that question because as a kid I had an accudent which gave me a massive cut under my bottom lip which is still visible although faintly. Ever since then my bottom lip has been sagging downwards making it appear bigger. That's why I was asking. S.R's points are valid to some degree just NOT relevant to my question. And before you say it's cause it determines the lipsize blah yeah well so does my parents lip size, any accidents i had before, any operation I may have had done before. A white,asian or black persons lip does not look like it does solely based on race. A mix of many factors determines that. And discussing them all isn't very practical so a simple"yes/no" is enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    You know you have big lips why make a thread about it? You cannot be that oblivious.
    Big yes. Too big/unattractive I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jarasta)
    Great let's get you a trophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    How about we view him as a person and not a product of his race?
    I don't understand how S.R is in the wrong here. it's a completeely fine thing he is saying, nothing at all wrong with it. He isn't being racist s simply factual. I mean it would be the same if OP asked if he was too dark. of course he is going to be dark if he is African. then like S.R is suggesting the responses will be, he is light for am African person. otherwise if we don't take his race into account, compared to the pale ginger, he would be too dark. But since he isn't Caucasian then he isnt too dark

ReputationRep:
    Big yes. Too big/unattractive I don't know.
    Entirely subjective, people come to associate big lips with darker people in good and bad ways.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how S.R is in the wrong here. it's a completeely fine thing he is saying, nothing at all wrong with it. He isn't being racist s simply factual. I mean it would be the same if OP asked if he was too dark. of course he is going to be dark if he is African. then like S.R is suggesting the responses will be, he is light for am African person. otherwise if we don't take his race into account, compared to the pale ginger, he would be too dark. But since he isn't Caucasian then he isnt too dark
    1. "He" question says girls.
    2. Fine/factual it is just not relevant.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth is this about race ? Stop writing stuff as if it's a fact "if you don't think it's about race you're in denial". No, I'm not and I don't really see how you could possibly say that with such certainty about some on account of one thread. The answers I wanted was "Yes they're to big" or "No they're fine". Simple enough. And when did I deny I have big lips ? Even if I did (which I didn't) how does criticising one part of your looks equal denying your race? Race is far more than just your lips or eyes or whatever.
    If those lips were on a white person you'd look like a freak.

If those lips are on a black person then they look normal. Get over yourself :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Entirely subjective, people come to associate big lips with darker people in good and bad ways.
    That's why I asked to see what people think. Since the thread now has become a completely different beast I did not find out

ReputationRep:
    Same, I wasn't either. Heck, I'm pretty sure S.R is black too.

Your ethnicity comes into it though, as it affects how you look. If you were white, they would look out of place/strange on your face, but either because we've normalised it with the features that typically come with that race so it isn't as jarring, or because it just plain suits the features typically occouring with that race, they don't look big ON YOU. They might LOOK big on someone else, but they don't appear as such on you for the above factors. Is the question wether they are, wether they look like they are, wether they're attractive, or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ffs WHERE ANYWHERE on this thread did ANYONE say he was being racist. Quote it PLEASE. I have said this a billion times now yes it does have to with yes it is a factor but my question was if my lips are big....not for a black,white,asian or flipping alien just generally. I asked that question because as a kid I had an accudent which gave me a massive cut under my bottom lip which is still visible although faintly. Ever since then my bottom lip has been sagging downwards making it appear bigger. That's why I was asking. S.R's points are valid to some degree just NOT relevant to my question. And before you say it's cause it determines the lipsize blah yeah well so does my parents lip size, any accidents i had before, any operation I may have had done before. A white,asian or black persons lip does not look like it does solely based on race. A mix of many factors determines that. And discussing them all isn't very practical so a simple"yes/no" is enough
    And where did I say that someone's lips are SOLELY determined by their race? You know what, quite frankly you're being a bit of a douche. YOU are the one making this into a great big massive thing, he simply made one small comment. Don't post questions on a forum if you're not prepared for people answering in any kind of way. If you're so narrow minded that you couldn't take what was actually a very simple and non-offensive answer then you shouldn't be posting and people shouldn't waste their time replying to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.