Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Embarrassing situations caused by my bag breaking Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I need to take a lot of folders, books etc. to sixth form. Problem is my bags can never take much of the weight. The base of the handles will tear etc. for instance my bag just breaking in the middle of the street and thudding on the floor whilst in a rush for school.
    What kind of bags do you take to sixth form/college that can withstand a lot of weight and be large enough?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have a rucksack because its the only bag I could find that was strong enough. Also it means my shoulder doesn't hurt from the weight of a handbag style school bag

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't tend to take my textbooks to school (though I have left my HUGE A2 psychology book in my locker), and I don't really use folders as I work on a tablet (huge weight reduction in my school bag). However, I do know of people who have smaller folder(s) that they take to school (with homework, paper, dividers for each subject, etc) and have found this more beneficial than lugging around 3 folders for different subjects, then have a larger one for each subject at home. Also, depending on your timetable/work due in perhaps, if you've got a locker, you could leave some textbooks in college or in your class room if your teacher allows this.

Or just get a better bag? They tend to cost more, but if you add up all the costs of the previous bags, it'll be worth it, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Lockers are tremendously useful it helps not having to carry everything with you and you can just leave it there and take the sheets and such you need from the folder. Also working on a Tablet if you can afford it i hear can be very good, knowing me though i would get too distracted and fiddle with other apps and such but if you think you won't try it out.

Don't buy tiny bags either i hate people that complain and say i never have enough room for my stuff and their the ones who usually say my bag is too big what have i got in there. Well i can actually carry my stuff and i didn't buy a bag which would be lucky to fit a freaking chihuahua...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Lockers are tremendously useful it helps not having to carry everything with you and you can just leave it there and take the sheets and such you need from the folder. Also working on a Tablet if you can afford it i hear can be very good, knowing me though i would get too distracted and fiddle with other apps and such but if you think you won't try it out.

Don't buy tiny bags either i hate people that complain and say i never have enough room for my stuff and their the ones who usually say my bag is too big what have i got in there. Well i can actually carry my stuff and i didn't buy a bag which would be lucky to fit a freaking chihuahua...
    Annoyingly my sixth form only has lockers for the younger years.

Also I agree with you about people with tiny bags...hence the reason I struggle in finding a large durable bag. hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trails)
    I don't tend to take my textbooks to school (though I have left my HUGE A2 psychology book in my locker), and I don't really use folders as I work on a tablet (huge weight reduction in my school bag). However, I do know of people who have smaller folder(s) that they take to school (with homework, paper, dividers for each subject, etc) and have found this more beneficial than lugging around 3 folders for different subjects, then have a larger one for each subject at home. Also, depending on your timetable/work due in perhaps, if you've got a locker, you could leave some textbooks in college or in your class room if your teacher allows this.

Or just get a better bag? They tend to cost more, but if you add up all the costs of the previous bags, it'll be worth it, lol.
    What bag would you suggest?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

At A2 I had up to 3 exercise books, 3 textbooks and a pencil case. I'm a guy but I used a shoulder bag or whatever it's called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_L)
    What bag would you suggest?
    Backpacks tend to be good, as the weight of the bag is spread across your back as opposed to concentrated in a specific area. Therefore it's less likely to break anyway, but you are taking a lot of the weight. What sort of bag are you currently using? Shoulder bag, handbag??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    At A2 I had up to 3 exercise books, 3 textbooks and a pencil case.
    Yeah, I have up to 5 textbooks 3 exercise books and a pad of paper + any folders I need to take that day :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Rucksack, simple.

ReputationRep:
    Backpacks tend to be good, as the weight of the bag is spread across your back as opposed to concentrated in a specific area. Therefore it's less likely to break anyway, but you are taking a lot of the weight. What sort of bag are you currently using? Shoulder bag, handbag??
    I was using a gola bag style one (it was old though, so I didn't mind it breaking) and latterly a rather large handbag.

I was thinking of getting something like a tote bag...but I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Annoyingly my sixth form only has lockers for the younger years.

Also I agree with you about people with tiny bags...hence the reason I struggle in finding a large durable bag. hmm
    Annoyingly my sixth form only has 25 lockers in a sixthform with just under 400 students. As well as the fact we have to pay "rent" for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Annoyingly my sixth form only has 25 lockers in a sixthform with just under 400 students. As well as the fact we have to pay "rent" for it...
    It's so annoying. I doubt it would be very difficult/expensive to provide most pupils with lockers, and they last forever so it's not like they would have to be buying new ones constantly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    At A2 I had up to 3 exercise books, 3 textbooks and a pencil case. I'm a guy but I used a shoulder bag or whatever it's called.

How big were your text books? And yeah, at AS I also used a shoulder bag, but I mainly left textbooks in my locker during the day if I wasn't using them. Now I just don't bother with any of it, I do my work on a tablet. haha. There's always spare textbooks in the class anyway, so that doesn't really matter either.

I was using a gola bag style one (it was old though, so I didn't mind it breaking) and latterly a rather large handbag.

I was thinking of getting something like a tote bag...but I'm not sure.
    Hm, those do work sometimes, but from a previous post of yours I'm pretty sure it will break again (5 text books? :eek:). Backpacks/rucksacks/whatever you wanna call them are the best solution - unless you shrink the amount of different exercise books/folders you take with you to sixth form. One pad of paper, with one folder with any homework due in for that day/extra sheets necessary should do the trick...Then when you get home put each subjects work from that day into their own folder.

Other than that I'm not sure. Sorry!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    How big were your text books? And yeah, at AS I also used a shoulder bag, but I mainly left textbooks in my locker during the day if I wasn't using them. Now I just don't bother with any of it, I do my work on a tablet. haha. There's always spare textbooks in the class anyway, so that doesn't really matter either.

Hm, those do work sometimes, but from a previous post of yours I'm pretty sure it will break again (5 text books? :eek:). Backpacks/rucksacks/whatever you wanna call them are the best solution - unless you shrink the amount of different exercise books/folders you take with you to sixth form. One pad of paper, with one folder with any homework due in for that day/extra sheets necessary should do the trick...Then when you get home put each subjects work from that day into their own folder.

Other than that I'm not sure. Sorry!
    maths was about 1.5 in, physics and chem an inch all just less than A4.

ReputationRep:
    lol, my school bag strap broke and the bag fell off my back when I was running for the bus

ReputationRep:
    So I need to take a lot of folders, books etc. to sixth form. Problem is my bags can never take much of the weight. The base of the handles will tear etc. for instance my bag just breaking in the middle of the street and thudding on the floor whilst in a rush for school.
    What kind of bags do you take to sixth form/college that can withstand a lot of weight and be large enough?:confused:
    An Eastpak rucksack.

They're really hard wearing and have loads of room for folders etc.
    I have one for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaritymolecule)
    lol, my school bag strap broke and the bag fell off my back when I was running for the bus
    Did you miss the bus because of it? ahaa
    They're such a nuisance

ReputationRep:
    Did you miss the bus because of it? ahaa
    They're such a nuisance
    no, thankfully not! haha yea they are a pain. I have had a "DC" one that I have been using since the start of year 10 I just decommissioned it about a week ago it now in the trash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaritymolecule)
    no, thankfully not! haha yea they are a pain. I have had a "DC" one that I have been using since the start of year 10 I just decommissioned it about a week ago it now in the trash
    I just find them annoying things to buy...ensuring the size is right, comfortable etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.